Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 02:12   #1

Boat: Achilles 24
Crossatlantic in Achilles 24

Hi guys,
I'm quite new in sailing and on this forum too. My story is short: never sailed before, did a competent crew in Oct and bought Achilles 24. The only one dream is to cross the Atlantic in solo. Eh, next year.

My learning is very fast: I can already leave my mooring and pick up the buoy when back

Jokes apart, do someone think it's is possible to crossatlantic in Achilles 24 fine keel?

Thanks for your toughs, I will make my boat ready for the next Sept.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7070303073_ca85da0fc4_o.jpg
Views:	2720
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	40617  
Balthazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:18   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: Crossatlantic in Achilles 24

Even a coke bottle with a cork can cross the Atlantic- seems you might learn a little more before you start out? ANd ask yourself why you want to do this?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:43   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I concur with Ram, why do you want to cross the Atlantic? to answer your question, yes with care and preparation it could be done. However, as a start point I would spend the summer practising by sailing to Holland and back a few times. Nice place to visit by yacht and the North Sea will give some interesting challenging conditions.

The problem however, is how to keep watch on a longer voyage which will be needed in the North Sea, without becoming so exhausted that you are a risk.

Fitting a transmitting AIS would be high on my list of stuff to do.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:44   #4

Boat: Achilles 24

Thanks for advice, an AIS must be really good idea and I will probably get one

About the question "why?" I really have no idea. I just always knew I will cross the Atlantic alone. I lived on the french West coast by La Rochelle where cross the ocean in a 20ft sailboat is'nt a big deal so I got used to the idea it's not a huge chalenge for me as well. I probably have a less realistic perception of the jurney than the people sailing for years but much more of the beguinner's optimism. ))))) My lack of experience may be a plus.

The question is not even "to do it or not", the question is "how". If you have any advice or experience to chare, it will be really helpful!

Thanks
Balthazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:55   #5

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Achilles have a great reputation. As to can one cross the Atlantic? Yes, of course. Crossing the Atlantic by the tradewinds route is far easier than sailing the North Sea and English Channel from Grays!

I met a guy in Brazil who had sailed a 22ft ( can't remember what make ) from the UK so you certainly wouldn't be the smallest boat.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:04   #6
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
Thanks for advice, an AIS must be really good idea and I will probably get one

About the question "why?" I really have no idea. I just always knew I will cross the Atlantic alone. I lived on the french West coast by La Rochelle where cross the ocean in a 20ft sailboat is'nt a big deal so I got used to the idea it's not a huge chalenge for me as well. I probably have a less realistic perception of the jurney than the people sailing for years but much more of the beguinner's optimism. ))))) My lack of experience may be a plus.

The question is not even "to do it or not", the question is "how". If you have any advice or experience to chare, it will be really helpful!

Thanks
I would look at the "why" again, since you dont know-this could be the most important thing to do first!- I can assure you that in & near La Rochelle (I know this port very well by the way) crossing the ocean in a 20 ft boat is a big deal if the person is doing it- Sure its easy to say no big deal from someone standing on the ground , not out there doing it-just crossing the Bay of Biscay can be a very big deal!- Learn about your boat first near the coast !Sail your boat around a few years and see if you still want to do it!
Old 02-05-2012, 12:00   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ElleChasse

Where/with whom did you take your competent crew course and would you recommend them?

A friend of mine sailed a Cal25 from Dana Point, California across the Pacific to Maui. He sold it when he got here for more than he bought it in California and now plans to fly back to San Diego, buy another, and do it again. He's had quite a lot of experience with sailing though.

However, another (very inexperienced) friend of mine flew over to Oahu a couple of years ago, bought his 30ft sailboat there and never having sailed before, somehow, along with three non-sailor friends, managed to sail it back here to Maui. He's a far more experienced sailor now, still living on it, and quite happy.

I think "do your homework, be prepared, and don't be afraid of adventure". But do realistically weigh your risks versus benefits.

What are your plans with the boat after you make the crossing, if you should do it?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:52   #8

Good evening,

I just checked up in two books I have on the Observer Singlehanded Trans-Atlantic Race. (OSTAR)
Chris Butler the designer and builder of the Achilles range of boats competed in both the 1976 and 1980 races onboard his boats so they are up to it. It all depends who you ask!

The bathtub admirals will say "no".
Those who will not cast off without every single electronic gizzmo available will say no too.

Then you get those who say that the best boat for the job is the boat you have right now. They will say "go". I belong to this group.

The question to ask is "can I do it on an Achilles 24?"
If you think so, I say go.
Have fun and keep us posted.

Regards,
Banjo.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:01   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

one can cross atlantic in a kayak--has been done. good luck and smooth sailing.
btw--i am with ram on this one, but ye could well surprise us ..please do.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:07   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

The boat can make the trip if the rigging, sails, steering and through-hulls are sound. But since you're a rank beginner, the real question is, can you make it. The toughest part of the trip will likely be from England down to the Canary Islands. After that, it's "mostly" downwind sailing around the mid-Atlantic High into the Tradewinds, though you could run into gales or at least heavy squalls on the Canaries-West Indies leg.

I think it would be prudent for you to make certain you can handle the NE Atlantic, especially the Bay of Biscay crossing. Perhaps you should get out there and knock around in the North Sea for a couple of weeks to hone your skills, making sure to experience some challenging weather/sea state conditions.
Old 07-05-2012, 17:04   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Sure it can be done and sure there is no guarantee you will make it.

As you have read from other posters, oceans have been crossed in boats of all shapes and sizes. However, this does not imply anybody will do it in any boat.

Here:
A Yarmouth23 Sailing Blog - “Eileen of Avoca” – The journal of a small sailing yacht.

Look this guy's blog to get some idea. His boat is similar size.

Chase the dream, other things are optional extras.
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:40   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

The other thing to think about is this is going to be your home. Sure the crossing will take 4 weeks and perfectly do-able but you are going to be living on a 24ft boat for months on end when you get there. Is there enough room on board for you to live in the heat of the caribbean?

Perhaps I am becoming one of Banjos bathtub admirals, but I want to be able to stand up in the morning to get dressed.

How about spending the summer sailing and learning around the UK and France, followed by spending next winter in the southern med. Cruising Morroco, Tunisia and Libya could be a really interesting experience.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:59   #13
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What happened to the 20 foot boat on first post- did you edit it to 24 foot? after i posted? Or did it grow 4 feet - or Am I seeing things??