Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2016, 01:37   #1

Crazy Idea? Beneteau 331 to NZ?

Am I crazy for thinking that a Beneteau 331 or similar could be sailed to New Zealand? Not looking for a family experience or anything other than simply wanting to sail it vs. shipping it to NZ. This trip would be made as quickly as possible, minimal stopping other than for ideal weather windows, and the only purpose to ferry it to NZ.

Assuming an experienced crew, minimalistic mods for safe bluewater sailing, is this a crazy idea seeing how a boat like this is not on any of the 'approved/recommended' bluewater/offshore boat lists (like: Mahina Expedition - Offshore Cruising Instruction )

Let the comments fly!
Heynekamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 13:44   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Crazy Idea? Beneteau 331 to NZ?

Might help if you told us were you were setting off from. Oh and whilst its a personal opinion I think some of the comments about yachts on that link are complete bollix.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 14:00   #3

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Schedules are badddd!!!! and in a bene 33 with minimal stuff can be horrendous! but yeah like Pete say ask, where is your departure point?
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 15:52   #4

Looking at buying in the US. Really looking at any of the 30-40 boats including Catalinas, Hunters, Beneteaus. A boat that is in the $40-$50k range in the US is comparably in the $150k+ range in New Zealand. If there were a safe, reasonable way to sail it efficiently from the US to NZ thought it may make sense. I recognize these aren't "offshore bluewater" boats but if the timing were done right in regards to seasons and weather without a lot of "going slow enjoying the islands" would this make sense? Or does shipping it only make true sense?
Old 27-06-2016, 15:55   #5

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

I'd do it.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 16:04   #6

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Pick your weather windows and it will be fine.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 16:22   #7

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

My hardest coastal passages were in new zealand. Why do you want a flimsy beneteau there?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 16:39   #8

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I'd be looking for something a bit bigger... both for the trip and once you get to NZ.
I met a paraplegic recently who had been making something of a living buying 40footish Bavarias in the Caribbean, sailing them, singlehanded, to NZ and selling them... when the NZ dollar was somewhat stronger than today.
So anything is possible.
The hardest voyage I have ever done is from Tonga to NZ but my logbook says we only had 3 bad days ... what this bloke says makes quite a bit of sense Passage Planning: From the SW Pacific to NZ —

Sail to Tonga and freight her from there maybe?
Old 27-06-2016, 17:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
My hardest coastal passages were in new zealand. Why do you want a flimsy beneteau there?

That's exactly the type of commentary I'm looking for! I'm just looking at boat listings on various sites and then looking at NZ's site like this: BENETEAU OCEANIS 33I | Trade Me Any and all your opinions on what would make a good weekend cruiser is what I'm after (that could make the trip across)!

and seeing the massive price differential. Originally I was looking for a fun weekend sailboat to gain sailing experience for down here (Nelson) and shocked at differences in price compared to the US where I'm from. That is where this idea was hatched from. Figured if I could convince an experienced friend to come along I could 1) get a boat for a lot less, and 2) gain some great experience before planning the big sail with the family in a few years.
Old 27-06-2016, 17:39   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

The difficult bit is Tonga to NZ.

I have a Beneteau 393 and although i am sure my boat would be fine i would be hesitant to take any 33 footer.

The passage is too far for 'weather windows' and even in the right seasonal window (October, i think) it can get quite, quite nasty.

I did Panama through the Islands with no trouble, and a bathtub could... But that last stretch to the Land of the Long White Cloud could make me have an extra beer to consider.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 19:18   #11

Did that trip from the tropics to NZ twice and both times had some hard spots. The weather never hangs in long enough usually, a low seems to slip down while enroute. You can stop at Minerva Reef and wait it out but no guarantees on that leg.
Rest of the sailing trip is usually ok. Those 32-33 ft boats from the larger production builders are pretty light weight, probably make it ok but expect a rough ride.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 08:43   #12

Boat: Scout 30

There are a lot of boats for sale at great prices in the US that are more capable although they will be a little older in that price range. The problem is you'll have to get over here & look at them in order to determine condition. It could take a while to find the right one. You might want to consider hiring a broker or surveyor to inspect before you make the trip.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 08:54   #13

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heynekamp View Post
Looking at buying in the US. Really looking at any of the 30-40 boats including Catalinas, Hunters, Beneteaus. A boat that is in the $40-$50k range in the US is comparably in the $150k+ range in New Zealand. If there were a safe, reasonable way to sail it efficiently from the US to NZ thought it may make sense. I recognize these aren't "offshore bluewater" boats but if the timing were done right in regards to seasons and weather without a lot of "going slow enjoying the islands" would this make sense? Or does shipping it only make true sense?
I would sail it after a thorough inspection from US West Coast to NZ via Tahiti for exemple. I've never been to NZ but I sailed from Panama to the Marquesas, Tuamotu, Tahiti, Hawaï, Vancouver in a 31 footer As long as the crew is experienced (2 or 3 is plenty) & the sailboat is well prepared, it's no problem to go offshore in a well built 10 meter sailboat ! Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PortugeseTuna.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	127078  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 09:28   #14

Boat: Beneteau 343

I'd say pretty crazy but many times adventures are crazy. I have a B343 and I would not do it for two reasons. First, my B343 is fairly tender and I'd guess a B331 is as well. It doesn't take much wind to make things interesting on my boat. I got caught 100 miles out in Gulf of Mexico in bad T-storms that blew through in 10 hours. I can't imagine dealing with such wind and waves for a few days.

My tankage doesn't seem sufficient to me for a real ocean passage. It was fine crossing the Gulf with a 15 gallons of diesel in jerry cans (which got used up). But 2+ weeks at sea? I can't see it when there are so many other boats capable of making such a passage.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 09:37   #15

Boat: Scout 30

I think your idea of buying a boat in the US & sailing it to NZ is a great one. Just maybe not your choice of a boat.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau