Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 21:12   #1

Crazing Problem

Have found 1968 Tartan that needs deck painted. There is crazing everywhere. No spot bigger than your fingernail is not cracked. All hair line cracks. There is also a soft spot on the foredeck. And blisters reported to be the size of dimes and quarters on the hull tho I have not seen them. How serious is this? Should I just pass? Asking price is $15,000. Newer sails, radar, ham, windvane, windlass, newer rigging.
flagorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 22:09   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
A 42 year old boat with a deck problem and blisters you haven't even seen yet for $15K ... nope, I'd keep looking. Lot better deals out there.
Old 11-08-2010, 23:23   #3

Boat: Islander 36
I'm thinking that you have seen it. The seller would not say something like "There is crazing everywhere". But there is a lot you're not saying. Like lenght, for starts.

You use the word "newer" twice, which sort of says that it was not so neglected. Still taken care of like somebodys asset rather than their liability.

Having said that, I'll add that you're looking for comfort in the wrong spot. There's no way you can get an answer here that would be as well informed as you might hope. Way too many variables. Again, not enough info. Do a Google search for "comparable" boats, at least for boats the same size, whatever that is.

It's all about opinion.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:06   #4
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR
I'll assume this is the original 27, though it could be the 34 or 37 too I suppose. In today's market, the buyer has a huge advantage, so keep looking, as these particular yachts are well regarded and often restored by loving owners.
PAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 05:18   #5

Boat: 1975 tartan 27
I agree with the other suggestions to either run away or argue a much lower selling price if it's a tartan 27. I got one for a heckuva lot less than that and zero blisters about 8 months ago and I don't think the market has improved that much since then.

Also, Tartans aren't known for developing blisters, so I would be deeply suspicious of work the previous owner has done....

svpuresail.com
ad_astra is offline   Reply With Quote