Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-12-2013, 17:33   #1

Craelock 37

Anything good or bad with the craelock37?

Old 22-12-2013, 17:41   #2

Re: Craelock 37

Great Ocean-Going fun to sail nice deck space. cant really say much about the inside ive spent all my time topsides.

Old 22-12-2013, 17:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Who built this one? Pacific Seacraft? Good seaworthy boat. A bit cramped by today's standards. Under 11' beam. canoe stern.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 18:26   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34
I own a 34 because I couldn't find a decent 37 when shopping. They're built like tanks. No major quirks in craftsmanship. It is an offshore boat and not designed with living aboard in mind therefore storage is the big downside. If you can live with that she'll take you anywhere.

I just finished an 1800 beat through terrible weather that included a collision with something large enough to bring me to a full stop from 7 knots. There was never a concern about the boat during the trip. I however went to pieces. I'll blog about it when my nerves settle.
Old 22-12-2013, 18:37   #5

Boat: Moccasins and pony

Depends on condition, but a good basic, proven design. Like Vasco says, the accommodations are not like modern production boats, but they serve their purpose. Make sure you use the search functions for specific build issues like compression post, fuel tank, ????

I have a 34' model that was purchased to satisfy very specific criteria, and is the driest, cleanest, best built boat I've ever owned. Engine access is very good,and the shoal draft keeps me adventurous in coastal waters. The high bulwarks, lines led aft, removable inner stay, and other features make it work for me singlehanding offshore. Very balanced, only wish I had a tiller, and will convert at some point.
Old 22-12-2013, 18:38   #6

Boat: Moccasins and pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaz View Post
I own a 34 because I couldn't find a decent 37 when shopping. They're built like tanks. No major quirks in craftsmanship. It is an offshore boat and not designed with living aboard in mind therefore storage is the big downside. If you can live with that she'll take you anywhere.

I just finished an 1800 beat through terrible weather that included a collision with something large enough to bring me to a full stop from 7 knots. There was never a concern about the boat during the trip. I however went to pieces. I'll blog about it when my nerves settle.
Great post, you got me - hook, line and sinker. Gotta hear about your passage!
Old 22-12-2013, 18:42   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

There might be build differences. Not all were built by Pacific Seacraft.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 18:54   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The first 16 Crealock 37s were built by an outfit called "Cruising Consultants". Pacific Seacraft acquired the molds and took over the '37 around 1979. The pre-Pacific Seacraft boats may be different in the interior and rigging details, and some were owner-finished. A friend of mine is sailing a Crealock 37 that he built up from the bare hull.

These are great boats to sail, but if you are searching for a fast downwind surfer, look elsewhere. For a displacement hull it does just fine.

Here is a link to a good article about the '37 : Pacific Seacraft 37
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 10:40   #9

Thanks, very worthwhile article.
Old 23-12-2013, 11:10   #10

Boat: PSC 34

I think a new one today would be 350-400 thousand, so the used boats in good shape are well worth a refit.
Old 23-12-2013, 11:32   #11

Also, some of the original 16 were saildrive.
Old 23-12-2013, 12:48   #12

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

We cruised our 37 for almost 10 years, in the Caribbean. Very well built boat, very well designed boat. Mr Crealock designed what he thought was the ideal cruising boat, back when people sailed very seaworthy boats, that design wise were meant for long safe passages,compared today where Boat Of the Year is a boat that has the deck attached to the hull with adhesive and self tapping screws, but sails well in light air, and rivals a Florida condo. They are narrow boats, but that reduces the wetted surface, and helps to make for a very comfortable, seaworthy boat, that truly will go anywhere. After 10 years, when we returned, we emptied 1 and 1/2 mini vans of stuff off the boat. There are enough storage spots that you can provision for a passage, or load up at Costco in Florida and spend the winter in the Bahamas.

It sails wonderfully. It reminds me of Marblehead Pond sailing model. When we put the Monitor on, it took just a bit of time to get used to the Monitor, not struggling with balancing the sails, and it just sailed. They do go to windward.

Construction wise, I wouldn't say a "tank", that reminds me of a Morgan Out Island 41. I think substantial is appropriate. Bolted deck to hull, solid core, and substantial glass. Our dodger fittings where drilled and tapped into the coach roof.

They are also Walter Mitty boats. Many were purchased with the thought that maybe, someday, we might... When looking, you will find well traveled boats, and also limited use boats, and they are usually priced accordingly. About the only real issue is the fuel tank. Aluminum in the bilge. We had ours repaired twice. What some do is coat the tanks with undercoating, or the material used on the bed of pickup trucks. That being said, after the fuel is out of the tank, it takes about 10 minutes to get the tank out and into the cockpit.

Engine access is tight.

We sold our 37 and went to the Bristol 41.1 because we thought that we would continue on, and possibly have grand kids visiting, and could use more space. As things turned out, I might just go back to another 37, because we liked it so much. The 34 is very similiar, but the companion way ladder is a bit steep, and the space below is just that much less. The Crealock 37 is truly a proper yacht. Steve Brodie, in NC, would love to build a new one, and he is dedicated to the legacy and reputation that Pacific Seacraft deserves. H also is doing refits, with much of the staff that probably build the boat originally.
Old 17-01-2014, 10:21   #13

Boat: Pearson 28

Great to hear the voice of experience, sounds as if your 37 was a real gem. Thanks
Old 17-01-2014, 11:28   #14

Boat: Tartan 4100

I love the looks of the Crealock/PS 37 but even used, they are a lot of money, so if you're on a budget like me you might want to look at the Tartan 37
Or if you want to stick with a Crealock design that's a bluewater boat, the Cabo Rico 38 can also be had for a lot less.......
Of course, if money is no object, I wouldn't mind kicking around in a Pacific Seacraft 40.......Anyone wanna give me one???? Please???

Edit: It looks like there's a PS 37 on Yachtworld for 69K in fair condition and another for 84K, so that's not bad pricing if they survey well. I'd still prefer my T37 though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: