Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2016, 12:18   #16

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: Could use some help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Blues View Post
Have any other suggestions about boats sold in the southern hemisphere? Can't find many where I'm searching.
There are many types of boats sold in the Southern Hemisphere; given that it is half of the world. Perhaps including where in the southern half you are might assist.

In your original question you asked whether you should test sail each boat. Of course. In fact you’ll need to sail the actual boats that are for sale.

These are mid 80s boats. Few yachts of the size you’re looking at have ever been made like production cars in any event.

It was also common, when a boat was commissioned by an owner, to be built to a specific partial completion point. And that’s after all the choices of materials and options. So for example you might have ordered the completed hull and deck, but the interior, rig, propulsion system and finishing would be done elsewhere (often in the owner’s backyard over a period of the next several years).

Plus they’ve all had 30 plus years of owner modification and tinkering (good and bad no doubt).

I don’t know the histories of each of the boats you’re looking at, but it’s unlikely you would ever find two identical 1985 Tayana 55s, because each is now unique.

It’s certainly not uncommon to modify shape, size and depth of keels and rudders. Other changes people make include mast position, rake etc, convert from wheel to tiller steering, adding diving platforms, even removing or adding a second mast.

You must have picked up from reading CF posts that some of projects people discuss here can be serious structural modifications to their vessels. There are a significant percentage of boat owners who only ever work on ‘improving’ their boats; they never go sailing. Often it is described as refitting for their offshore dream. Most never leave the dock. There was a time I used to think that was very strange, but I’ve come to accept it and respect the work they do. Their passion is their boat. But of course when you arrive looking to buy that same boat you’ll not know whether previous owners were sailors or dreamers.

It’s somewhat similar (in my view) to someone who is passionately interested in model railways. Their interest isn’t in watching trains go around the track (as is typically of kids). No, their passion is the building of all the stuff. They spend countless hours, and thousands of dollars on building the track and all the rest of it.

Of course buying a boat that belonged to a dreamer can be really good value. Especially if it becomes an estate sale and even more so if the boat is still in someone’s backyard. It will be full of really cool stuff, mostly in brand new condition, and won’t have been in salt water for years.
Old 20-07-2016, 12:28   #17

Never saw the PM.
Deep Blue Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 13:36   #18

Boat: Scout 30

It's kind of obvious from the diversity of your list that you haven't settled on a exactly what kind of boat you're looking for besides big. Here's some listings you might find interesting. I've actually looked at the last one & spoken to the seller. He's sunk a lot of money in this boat & is having a hard time realizing that he's not getting that back. Couple of interesting notes: he completely glassed the hull to deck joint & replaced the chain plates with a round plates designed by Steven Dashew. Quite a boat but I doubt it sleeps 8. That's a tall order.
1985 Custom Pedrick Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1992 Dynamique 62 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1984 Mason Staysail Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1989 C&C 57 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1978 CUSTOM PILOTHOUSE KETCH Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 13:46   #19

Boat: Mariner 31 ketch (in Mexico)

back around 1989-90, we spent a couple of years working for a Greek charter company. Their fleet of 50+ boats were mainly Beneteau, plus a few Jeanneau. The Idylle was the queen of the fleet, and the prettiest.

Favoured clients were allowed to deliver boats at the end of the season at a cheap rate. One called the charter base to plead for extra time - they were having such a wonderful trip. Well, they never arrived. An alert went out throughout the Med. Eventually the boat was located - in Djibouti. The skipper was jailed, and a company rep went down to collect the boat. When he arrived, the boat was gone - the skipper had convinced his guards that it was the mafia who were coming for him, and he'd be killed if he didn't get out of there.

To our knowledge the boat was never found, so unless it sank, there's a Beneteau 51 out there somewhere with dodgy papers. Not saying it's this one, mind...
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 14:06   #20

Here's another boat someone has reportedly thrown a lot of money at. The boat looks really clean in the pics but I learned long ago not to believe pictures when it comes to condition.

1979 Nautical Development Corp Stevens 56 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 20-07-2016, 14:14   #21

Here's a quality boat that actually has bunks for 8:

1988 Oyster 55 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 20-07-2016, 15:04   #22

I've looked at all of the above. The oyster is a dime for sure. It's in the Super Maramu category.

The idylle were the flag ships of Beneteau. They were built to compete with the best ship yards. Heavy comfortable and very seaworthy. I loved the story about the one that never came home.

I've researched boats endlessly for almost a year now. Every boat on this list has a convincing sales point.

I plan on sailing mostly alone. Or with a second hand. But I also hope to be a travel destination for my family of seven. The eight of us will need to be able to sleep on board to save money on travel.

I'm thinking about my retirement budget. And dreaming of sailing the whole family from Florida to the Mediterranean some day. I don't want a project boat. I want a sailboat I can handle that's been around the world and is geared for another trip as soon as I step on board.

Hopefully we can travel with the family for a decade or so and then I can trade it in for a smaller, more easily single handled vessel, I can live out my years on.
Old 20-07-2016, 15:08   #23

And I really appreciate everyone's input. The boat listings were all very thoughtful.
Old 20-07-2016, 15:12   #24

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

charter one first put your 8 people on board / if it feels ok invest
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 15:13   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
back around 1989-90, we spent a couple of years working for a Greek charter company. Their fleet of 50+ boats were mainly Beneteau, plus a few Jeanneau. The Idylle was the queen of the fleet, and the prettiest.

Favoured clients were allowed to deliver boats at the end of the season at a cheap rate. One called the charter base to plead for extra time - they were having such a wonderful trip. Well, they never arrived. An alert went out throughout the Med. Eventually the boat was located - in Djibouti. The skipper was jailed, and a company rep went down to collect the boat. When he arrived, the boat was gone - the skipper had convinced his guards that it was the mafia who were coming for him, and he'd be killed if he didn't get out of there.

To our knowledge the boat was never found, so unless it sank, there's a Beneteau 51 out there somewhere with dodgy papers. Not saying it's this one, mind...
Loved this story. Guy had passion and a screw loose.

Was wondering if those Jeanneau's are very seaworthy. They have desirable lay outs as well. I'm leaning more to the big production models like the idylle.

One of my search criteria is the distance from where the boat was built to where it's being sold at. I think if several of the models available are spread out globally, it's a safe beat they can travel.
Old 20-07-2016, 15:51   #26

Singlehanding the sails on a big boat can be a challenge. I'm a fan of ketch or schooner rigs over about 45'. I'm also not a fan of bolt on fin keels. Whether your keel is bolt on or not I'm a fan of shoal draft boats. But that's just me. You need to decide what type of hull form you feel comfortable with & look for that and remember, just because your in blue water it doesn't mean you can't hit something.