Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 15:31   #1

Could Use Some Advice on Fillers

Typing on tablet cuz cpu is broke forgive my shortness but i hae a cuple questions about what filler to use above the waterline. As i stated before im not the biggest fan of west system filler. I have a feeling the filler "watertite epoxy filler(i forget who makes it) will be very expensive for a small amount. then i started thinking hey bondo makes a long hair filler, its green. Ive used that a ton on cars and i love the stuff. so what im wondering is has anyone ever used this stuff above the waterline or is thier a similar product that works just like it thats maybe more suitable for boats?
albergsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 15:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: could use some advice on fillers

stay away from bondo fiberglass filler with fiberglass strands in it as a filler!

better to use a normal car body filler above the water line,sands easily,goes off quick,just overcoat with an primer appropriate for the top coat
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 16:01   #3

Normal bondo? hmm. Thats good to know. Im looking for a filler that will add strength since my boat is really banged up. On my last project I was using 407 which i noticed on the box today is a low density easy sanding filler. No wonder why i didnt like it. And when it got wet it really didnt hold up well. So maybe i just need to try 406 or 404 ect. I really need to just start on this project lol
albergsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 16:04   #4

Boat: Corbin 39

Try 3M premium marine filler. You can put it on thin and recoat without sanding. gets hard enough to sand in 15 minutes. It's made out of vinyl ester resin. Much easier to work with. They also make a high strength with glass fibers in it, though much harder to sand then the regular premium.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 16:11   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddedger View Post
Try 3M premium marine filler. You can put it on thin and recoat without sanding. gets hard enough to sand in 15 minutes. It's made out of vinyl ester resin. Much easier to work with. They also make a high strength with glass fibers in it, though much harder to sand then the regular premium.
+1
Old 06-08-2013, 16:15   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albergsailor View Post
Normal bondo? hmm. Thats good to know. Im looking for a filler that will add strength since my boat is really banged up. On my last project I was using 407 which i noticed on the box today is a low density easy sanding filler. No wonder why i didnt like it. And when it got wet it really didnt hold up well. So maybe i just need to try 406 or 404 ect. I really need to just start on this project lol
if it is structural,rather than cosmetic epoxy is the way to go,but for minor ding's body filler works fine and is 10 times faster to work with than epoxy and a quarter of the price
Old 07-08-2013, 05:44   #7

Boat: Corbin 39
pirate Re: Could Use Some Advice on Fillers

Atoll is right! Never use anything but epoxy for something that is structural. Epoxy has a superior chemical bond, and if you need to thicken the epoxy for something structural use 403 filler. What ever the case if you don't properly abaid the surface first to give the bond some tooth you're just wasting time and money.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:47   #8

Boat: 1984 hunter 34
Here is a picture of that green stuff made by Evercoat it is top quality. I use it all the time. It's Short Strand fiber glass and Kevlar reinforced body filler. Just look at the Evercoat part number 100- 632. It will tell you all you want to know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130808_114740.png
Views:	498
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	65248
spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 20:00   #9

Boat: Pearson 281
Re: Could Use Some Advice on Fillers

I use System Three and always have plenty around. when I need a filler I use diatomaceous(sp?) earth from OSH $10.00 for 10 lbs. Silica skeletons from tiny marine critters and used as a filtration medium for pools because they are not simple structures and create the "tortured path" good for trapping dirt. I figured this structure would also make for stronger putty. So far, over two years of use this has worked well for me. Oh. added bonus is that it does fly away so easily when using it as does the colloidal silica. It starts out grey and cures to a dirty blond. There are pics of the cured putty in my maintenance album on Molly B.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 20:42   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

ADTECH Plastic Systems

Check it out at Boatworks Today

I couldn't find Adtech P14 without ordering it, so I used Evercoat. It's what most of the local boat builders use and the only brand the local marine supplier stocks. Mix up only a tiny amount until you get used to working with it, and less hardener than it says on the can or it will set almost immediately. A small can goes a long way.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 21:55   #11
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Duraglass blows Everglass away. It's been around much longer, Everglass is just a cheap imitation of it.

USC Duraglas Fiberglass Body Filler Putty - Gallon : Amazon.com : Automotive

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 21:58   #12
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddedger View Post
Atoll is right! Never use anything but epoxy for something that is structural. Epoxy has a superior chemical bond, and if you need to thicken the epoxy for something structural use 403 filler. What ever the case if you don't properly abaid the surface first to give the bond some tooth you're just wasting time and money.

This is silly, I build large structural mods in poly all the time.

Old 10-08-2013, 22:06   #13

Duraglas is an awesome product. I started using that long before Evercoat was more readily available. Evercoat can be bought at any auto paint store. The Evercoat product was designed back in the day to repair wooden boats. So at the very least it should be given its due. At the end of the day they're pretty much the same product.
Old 10-08-2013, 22:13   #14
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygun View Post
Duraglas is an awesome product. I started using that long before Evercoat was more readily available. Evercoat can be bought at any auto paint store. The Evercoat product was designed back in the day to repair wooden boats. So at the very least it should be given its due. At the end of the day they're pretty much the same product.

Pretty close, but I find Duraglass to trowel on nicer and sand less gummy sooner. Strong as hell too. Everglass is what autobody guys use on top of newspaper to fill dents. They even use it to wet out glass!

Old 10-08-2013, 22:20   #15

I hope I never go to a body shop that uses news papers to fill dents.