Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2010, 08:12   #1

Boat: Vagabond 1980 42
Could this Be Right ? Fuel, Water Capacity ?

Still looking for my liveaboard. This is in a description for a hardin 44 1978. What Ive looked at in the past this sounds a bit extream for Fresh water tanks and fule tanks on this size boat. I could be wrong but any info on this boat would be nice. recomendationds..ect...

(2) 100 gallon integral fiberglass fuel tanks (these are the two aft tanks under the raised saloon sole)
(2) 100 gallon integral fiberglass water tanks (these are the two forward tanks under the raised saloon sole)
(1) 15 gallon custom fiberglass holding tank (under the sail locker at bow)
(1) 9 gallon poly holding tank in locker aft of aft head for aft head
(1) 100 gallon custom fiberglass water tank under the captains berth
outrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 08:32   #2

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
That would be 2 tons (500g X 8#/gal = 4000 pounds). My problem would be that weight in the ens of the boat which would cause hobbie-horseing. Seems like a lot of weight; what is the light displacement of the boat? I don't carry much more on my boat (560g.)that displaces 65,000 light and carries all the tankage over the keel.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 08:46   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
The only thing that surprises me is the Hardin 44,- I thought they were all 45's. Though these tanks are described as "aft" and "forward", I think this is in their relative position and not meant to imply at the stern and bow. I have a cruising friend with thei Hardin 45 and his raised salon areas are not in positions that would cause the hobby-horsings that speciald...... wisely cautioned about above. That is a large capacity for water and a little low on the holding tank for my style of cruising, but I can also see great advantage. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 09:08   #4

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
That's some serious tankage.

Were at 180/240 gal water (Depends on who you ask)...I would like to measure it some day.
120 gal fuel
2 x 20 gal holding tanks

All tanks mid ship except one 40gal V birth water tank and One 20 gal aft head holding tank.

Were 41'

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 09:45   #5

I sent him a message and asked about tanks being original, boat draft and displacement. Hope to get a reply soon.
Old 29-08-2010, 10:38   #6

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
One thing about forward and aft tanks is if they are not your only ones, as in this boats case that your looking at...Nothing says you have to fill them for a ocean crossing to keep the weight out of the ends. But once your at your destination on the hook or Island hoping that extra water storage will be very welcome and extent if not eliminate dink trips for water every week or two...Marry that with a water maker and your self sufficient for a year with the fuel you'll have on board.

And no jugs an deck either..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 13:27   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
The sizes sound in line to me.
I'm 48ft ...just under 20 tons
200 gal fresh water
40 gal toilet flush water
180 gal fuel
80 gal grey water
40 gal black water
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 13:31   #8

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Siskawit is 200 gals of fresh water and 160 gals of fuel. The value of increased capacity for water cannot be understated.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 15:17   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
the tankage is in the end of boat??most are amidships--just abaft the cutaway in the forefoot- this keeps the weight in the midships--my tanks are midships in my formosa. these boats can handle the weight-IFF it is placed amidships. with properly balanced load added , it will be fine. in mine ,ther eis no way to load the ends--all the stowage areas are in the midships area. re check your load situation, and see if this isnt the actual case. if all is between the masts, you are fine.

for the record, these are displacement over 28000pounds. mine is minimal--should be nearer to 34000 pounds-38000pounds

mine is 41' PLUS sprit. to answer your exact question--YES!!!!! IT IS RIGHT!!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 15:34   #10

Boat: Irwin Citation 39 'Chesagansett'
Stillraining has an Irwin 41, I have an Irwin 39--sound similar, no? Here are the stats of both boats:
http://www.irwinyachts.com/Centercoc.../I41detpg1.jpg

http://www.irwinyachts.com/aft-cockp...t39/C39pg2.jpg

The 39, being much lighter displacement, was delivered with a 70 gal water tank under the v-berth, and a 30-gal tank under a settee. Fuel is only 31 gal, and the holding tank is 12-15 gal (don't know exactly).
steve_hendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 15:46   #11

isnt the 39 a citation model?? fin and spade with performance and aft cockpit in mind?? performance and heavy displacement cruisers are very different animals...heavy displacement are HEAVY the performance are lighter and sleeker and less tolerant of extra weight added--they are made for speed without the emphasis on comfort and capability to handle heavy seas. the heavy displacement cruisers hold much more water and fuel for longer distance cruising.
Old 29-08-2010, 17:54   #12

So my main concern should be the 100 gl tank that may of been added later under the captains berth. Could be used once a general location is reached but not used on the open water run. ?????
Old 29-08-2010, 18:30   #13

Boat: Irwin Citation 39 'Chesagansett'
to continue being a pest:
Valiant 40 Review : Bluewaterboats.org Sailboat Reviews

The Valiant is about 5000# heavier, but otherwise has similar specs to the Citation 39. Given the different tankage, that 5000# displacement does matter/
steve_hendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 21:01   #14

is still abaft the forefoot--should be a good one for using on long passafges if it doesnt mess with your trim(load trim , not sail trim..)--fill all the tanks and see what the boat does, it should be ok or it would not have been added--she should like the added weight--these heavy displacement boats are a lot different from the performance cruisers. these can take the weight--just has to be distributed properly. what is on the port side of boat to counter weigh the 100 gal tank?? there needs to be something there to weigh as much as the tank filled . also must be abloe to adjust to the weight as it reduces by way of use of the contents of the tank. my holding tank for my head is under my berth!! lol....so is the bilge pump. and a shower sump. most of my weight is in my main saloon. dead center. my pivot point seems to be abaft the main mast and forward of the dinette, or right where the 3 tanks are--2 water and one huge diesel , low and center. if your heaviest items are at the pivot point for your boat or near there there should not be a problem. your pivot point should be similar to mine--around the main saloon, or between the 2 masts. all the heaviest stuff goes there. keep bows buoyant. donot be tempted to overload the aft portion of the boat to compensate--that makes them pound and squat. dont want that.
Old 30-08-2010, 09:59   #15

Thanks for all the quick replys and the insight. I will look at the boat in detal and make shure its where I want to be for several years. It does look to be spacious and plenty of storage. Needs some work but when you work 2 weeks and your home 2 weeks I seem to have the time. I have already eliminated all but essentials in my house and found that if I have not used it or wore it in the last 2 years its gone...lol. Just looking for the right boat. I have found great knowledge here and hope to start putting it to use. thanks again

Tags
fuel