Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 17:10   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I spoke to my friend that is a Hardin 45 owner today. He corrected me saying that the 44' model was common and preceded the 45', but with little difference in layout. He said that the four tanks (two water forward & and two diesel aft) are actually 90 gallon tanks and not 100. The forward tanks are adjacent to the aft tanks under the raised salon at the bottom center of the vessel. The tanks on his vessel are fed to T-connections at their base and can be selected for port, starboard or tandem use. Although there is no conclusion here about the "custom" tank; there doesn't seem to be a problem with the placement of these tanks or their capacity. I would only question the ABYC compliance with the effluent being drawn from the base of the tank. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:43   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
As was suggested it is very important to actually measure the amount of gallons/liters that can go into the fuel tanks and also the water tanks. It is extremely common for boat brokers to generate a listing description by copying the tankage information from the first older reference they can find for a similar make/model. Nobody actually checks to see if the numbers are correct. My boat had a description in the brokerage sheet that it had a 500 gal diesel tank. When the tank ran dry unexpectedly I refilled the tank and found it only held 350 gallons.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:45   #18

That is close to the tankage, as designed on the Whitby 42, 200 gallons of fuel +/- and the same of water, with a large water tank under the forward tank. Whitbys are old and slow. Most people stop using or remove the forward water tank, too much weight in the bow. And, generally the center fuel tank is susceptible to water incursion so it is often taken out of service.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 21:36   #19

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
I have a Hardin 45. tanks are all 90 gallon, fiberglass, and accessible under the raised salon deck by inspection ports in floor or outside/plumbing under companionway ladder grate. I can sit/crawl down in this space.Another 100 gallons in the aft captains quarters could easily be accomadated around the drawers/rudder shaft, This seems to be the lighter storage area of the boat, as long as you don't fill up the aft deck like the previous owner of ours did. He had 2 full size deck boxes and a 12' dinghy/25hp on the aft deck! This boat does not have a cutaway.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 07:07   #20

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
Csy 44 has 400 gal water, 1oo gal fuel , 20 + 15 holding

Tags
fuel