Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-08-2008, 10:10   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good for you. I have fallen in the trap of working on the boat too much in the past. Now I stop and ask myself how bad I really need something. You can think too much sometimes, then when you get out there you go: "gee I dont use that much at all,or I wish I had used that more while cruising before I modified it!"

Old 22-08-2008, 10:24   #47

I think some people spend to much time reading books the spew theory or books written by folks that are out sailing, causing them over think the whole idea of cruising. Anyone who writes books is going to tell you about the harrowing experience or life threatening circumstance, after all, who would buy a book that tells you about day after day of nice weather and smooth sailing! When I lived in the San Francisco Bay I used to be amused at how many a would be cruiser equipped their boat to withstand continuous high winds and big seas only to find out when they left the Bay the wind died and they had to motor! I agree that sometimes things get nasty, but most boats will take a lot more than you think if proberly maintained and sailed using common sense. Most of the time you are looking for more wind or just enjoying life. I say take reasonable caution, learn your craft and then go sailing!

Old 22-08-2008, 12:10   #48

Boat: Hylas 47
As an owner of a widely recognized "bluewater cruiser" (Hylas 47), who has recent experience sailing a Hunter 41, I have some input on the relative merits of each. If I was primarily crossing oceans, I would prefer a heavy displacement, full-keel boat over a fin-keel. However, I wouldn't hesitate to sail a production boat to Hawaii either. One thing my boat doesn't do nearly as well as a Hunter (or similar boats) is close quarters maneuvering. I can spin my boat around in approximately it's own length, but it feels like a truck compared to the sports-car handling of the Hunter. Some friends have a brand-new 45 foot production boat, and it came with a handful of warranty issues, but my boat is 22 years old, and I think I'll be doing a lot more repairs than they will. Older boats often have corrosion, especially on wires and wire terminals, less efficient refrigeration (mine still uses R12, hard to service) old electronics (LORAN anyone?) worn out rigging, etc. I'm glad I got the boat I did, but new production boats do have a lot of nice features that they weren't putting on boats twenty years ago.
Old 30-08-2008, 16:24   #49

Boat: Beneteau 49
I have been sailing a Beneteau 49 hull #43 for the past year. The boat is very solid and has performed well in winds up to 40mph and waves up to 15ft+ so far. We have the shoal draft, roller main version with all the bells and whistles. We have been from Charleston SC to Cancun to Nassau and back. She is a fast boat and easy to handle with two but better with 4 when offshore.

The hull seems very well built with thicknesses over 1 inch throughout of solid fiberglass. The internal stiffining system is overkill but keeps the boat very stiff with very little flex. The deck is a balsa cored sandwich and provides good insulation from the sun.

We have the two cabin version which I would not recommend unless you like rolling around while at sea. There is no good place to sleep while at sea except the settee while on starboard tack. The 3 cabin version would provide much better sleeping quarters in the stern while at sea and much better use of space when at anchor, especially if you have guests or lots of extra gear/surfboards etc.

We have had some issues with aftermarket products installed on the boat but the original Beneteau systems have operated flawlessly. The fancy new electric panal works well to show you warnings and fluid leves of fuel and water but recently there have been some issues. We have two water tanks but the panal now states that we have 3 and two of those three are not actually there. We called Beneteau and they will replace the entire panal free of charge. The panel is built by Seimens VDO and is new to production sailboats so I guess they need to work out some bugs.

All in all the new 49 is a great boat and are selling like hotcakes. We get compliments everywhere we go on the styling and sleak look, most dont even know its a beneteau from the Berret/Racoupeau/Nauta design.

Old 16-09-2008, 17:38   #50

Boat: I have just purchased a 2009 49 Beneteau named Paradise II
Send a message via AIM to Big Moe Send a message via Yahoo to Big Moe
Dear Chris:

I currently have a 2008 Beneteau 46 and am in the process of trading up to a 49. My 46 is a single cabin and my small children are starting to squabble about sleeping together. I am purchasing a 3 cabin model. I sail only in the Chesapeake Bay. I am not to sure that I would be comfortable about taking my boat to far offshore. It has a flat bottom and it jumps up and slams down in large over 2 foot waves. I had an Oceanis 400 (40 foot) before this boat and once spent three days in a nasty chop with 35 mph headwinds. The boat held together well but I do wish I had a heavier boat under me. On the bright side Beneteau builds a beauitful boat. It is very roomy and has large cabins. All of the electronics and plumbing work great! I have the recources to purchase any boat at any price but choose Beneteau as my summer getaway.

Big Moe
Cell 609-868-3716
Old 16-09-2008, 19:52   #51
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthelen View Post
new beneteau 49. ...I here so many bad things about beneteau yachts that Im a bit to scared to move forward on this boat. .....
worried that the hull would not hold up and that the bulk heads could separate... am i just being a worry wart ?
LOLOLOL

Come on, give me a break Beneteau are building boats to murder people and the lawyers havent started legal actions yet?

We have a Beneteau 393 and did Galapagos to Marquesas in 20 days beating a few larger boats that did the trip at the similar time. How fast would the 49 lap it up?!

Yes, its fast cruising with Beneteaus - you will leave the heavy designs in your wake and be swimming off your platform days before the other guys finally enter port.

We have hit some pretty heavy weather - but nothing extreem to be sure - and thus far have found our decks remaining dry no matter how large the seas. Spray doesnt occur much at all. We have only copped one half-a-wave over the stern that spashed the aft half of the cockpit. Other than that its dry sailing.

We are totally happy with our 393, but, of course, we would love a bigger and brand new one! I am thinking of selling Nicolle to buy one but ain't got no takers

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 20:29   #52

Boat: Taswell 49
Mark and Nicole,
Great to see you guys are doing well. Looks like the sailing life agrees with you. Wish you the best of travels and enjoy the wonders of the sea. Myself and Catherine got a taste of it this summer in the Bahamas.
Take care,
George (we met one sunny afternoon when you came by the boat with Peter W.)
"Takalani"
Fort Lauderadale
Old 16-09-2008, 21:23   #53
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by George P View Post
George (we met one sunny afternoon when you came by the boat with Peter W.)
Hi George,

Yours is a beautiful Beneteau and I know how proud you are of the work you have put into it. Ours still isn't as shiny as yours!

Glad you had a fun summer. We will see you on the water soon

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 02:17   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
We are totally happy with our 393, but, of course, we would love a bigger and brand new one! I am thinking of selling Nicolle to buy one but ain't got no takers
I reckon it's more her trading you for the 4 B's.

Burgers, Beer and Bigger Boat...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 04:27   #55

Boat: Beneteau 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Moe View Post
Dear Chris:

I currently have a 2008 Beneteau 46 and am in the process of trading up to a 49. My 46 is a single cabin and my small children are starting to squabble about sleeping together. I am purchasing a 3 cabin model. I sail only in the Chesapeake Bay. I am not to sure that I would be comfortable about taking my boat to far offshore. It has a flat bottom and it jumps up and slams down in large over 2 foot waves. I had an Oceanis 400 (40 foot) before this boat and once spent three days in a nasty chop with 35 mph headwinds. The boat held together well but I do wish I had a heavier boat under me. On the bright side Beneteau builds a beauitful boat. It is very roomy and has large cabins. All of the electronics and plumbing work great! I have the recources to purchase any boat at any price but choose Beneteau as my summer getaway.

Big Moe
Cell 609-868-3716

If you are considering going up, you might want to at least take a look at the First 50. It is such a fine ship. For me, I wish I could afford one but I love my Oldie First 456.
Click image for larger version

Name:	_0001_0001.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	5102
Old 17-09-2008, 06:29   #56

That's a gorgeous bene mauiboy!!!! Which of the non bene equipment is causing you problems?? And I assume that everything, including your boat is brand new?? We are seriously considering a brand new Jeanneau which is basically owned by the same parent company as beneteau. I personally love both of those production boats. There are other boats that I love that are not huge production boat, but the cost is nearly double for the same size.

So, I do think that the bene and jeanneaus are the best bang for the buck, type of situation.
Old 17-09-2008, 08:09   #57

Boat: Hirsch Gulfstar 45 Magic Genie
Thought I would throw more fuel on the fire. I work presently for a charter company, and our Beneteau's hold up much better than the Catalina's or Hunters. It is a given that you should purchase a boat for it's intended purpose and not try to modify it later. (this will save you alot of time and money later) With planning and luck you can sail anything anywhere.

Tags
beneteau

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: