Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-10-2010, 03:53   #1

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Costs in Thailand or Malaysia

Hi. Does anybody know how refit costs stack up in Thailand or Malaysia compared with Australia? I'm thinking particularly shipwrights skilled in woodwork (interior) and stainless steel (exterior).

Old 31-10-2010, 05:36   #2

Boat: Landfall 39 built 1982
Can't help you but will be interested if any new replies filter up the was a thread about a month ago on refit in asia I will see if I can search for it. I am picking up a boat in thailand and will need to do some refit work.

Cheers Alex

Old 31-10-2010, 05:36   #3
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
We have been cruising malaysia now for a month and have spoken to many yachties re cost of work here.The general concensus is its cheaper then Australia.The quality of work can be 'hit and miss' so you need to get recomendations .I recently spoke to a yachtie anchored off Tawau Yacht Club who had some very good canvas work done at Langkawi for what i reckon was about 30% cheaper then in Australia. Also met a guy who had some work done on his Volvo{oil leak} with only 3000 hrs on the clock the work was so bad that he ended up having to replace the motor . You can live here very well very cheaply whilst you are getting work done so thats a bonus.

www.byamee.com
Old 31-10-2010, 05:39   #4

Boat: Landfall 39 built 1982
Found the earlier thread

Refit in Asia ?

Cheers Alex
Old 02-11-2010, 04:48   #5
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
Hi. Does anybody know how refit costs stack up in Thailand or Malaysia compared with Australia? I'm thinking particularly shipwrights skilled in woodwork (interior) and stainless steel (exterior).
for wood look at the boat yards around Phuket, Thailand. Maybe also in Satun province. Friends of mine have re-done their interior wood at Boat Lagoon, Phuket and were very happy with the craftsmanship and price. They have a steel boat, not sure they did any steel repair there. But Thailand should offer the best price/quality ratio.
Old 19-01-2011, 09:16   #6

Boat: Custom designed wood 69 ft ketch; Moonfire
If you are still looking for a competant yard in Thailand I have just visited Pithak Shipyard in Satun ($3 ferry ride from Langkawi, Malaysia) My boat is 70 ft overall and I was quoted 10000Baht about$330 US; for haul out and back on a railway. 500 Bt per day,look at their web site at Phithak Shipyard and Services. Very competant workers; very friendly staff. I have only heard positive remarks about them.
Old 26-11-2013, 07:07   #7

Re: Costs in Thailand or Malaysia

We have just had teak work done and new windows in boat lagoon. Don't think the marina or hardware is much cheaper than oz, but skilled trades, especially carpentry, are great value for money if you get a good guy! That's the catch, talk to others in the yard. We had a fantastic guy, even sent a guy to help with our centreboard on a Sunday, though he had finished his job, no charge. Happy to pass on our contacts to any one interested.

Tags
Malaysia

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: