Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2016, 12:00   #31
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Costal cruising at retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndavies View Post
Absolutely - you have a fine boat for what you are planning to do. My advice would be to spend some time on the lake getting the boat ready and making sure you know your systems. Then do a little research about where you want to go and on what timeline. Blogs are a great source of "real" information and most posters will share info and answer questions. Guide books are also a good source. We did a cruise in 2014 down the east coast and to the Bahamas (7 months) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had two take-aways from our experience: (i) spend time getting the boat ready, but set a timeline as everything will never be finished; and (ii) go as early as you can. I met so many people on my trip that just wished they had done it earlier.

Neil
That's some real fine advice there, Neil.

We're 65 and 56, living on a 40 ft. boat in the Turks and Caicos Islands. IF you get the boat set up well for single handing, and learn all the systems, and carry a decent set of tools, you should be good to go.

And GO. don't be mucking around too long. At our age, when it's over it's usually really over.
Old 17-01-2016, 12:52   #32

Seems to me that as long as your boat is "in the mainstream" of cruising boat design and of appropriate size for what you want to do, it will be a "right" boat.

Boats, like people, have quirky personalities, so the real question is whether you are willing to live with the quirks of any given boat, and to some degree if you are willing to modify your own habits to mesh with the "personality" of the boat.

Me, I loathe wheel steering in a 30 footer. I loathe mast furling mains. I can barely tolerate roller furling headsails. But MyBeloved, who came to seafaring when already at retirement age, and with zero previous experience or knowledge of any kinda boat, just loves TrentePieds because of her accommodations. She would NEVER come with me in, say, a C&C 27, excellent little boat though that is!

Tho I'm well past three parts of a century I reckon it'll be quite a few years yet before I can't singlehand a thirty-footer, even if I do think she could be far better rigged.

So don't sweat the age issue. And remember the fundamental law that for 20% of the effort (or expenditure) you get 80% of the results.

I think you should just go sailing :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 13:41   #33

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Welcome to the forum, I sail a 20 ton gaff rigged Ketch mostly single handed and I'm almost 78, I have a BIG heavy duty auto pilot to steer the boat, don't let the age thing impact your dreams, cruising is a wonderful way to stay healthy. All the best, Doug.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 13:49   #34

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Your boat is fine for your purposes. I think you will find it just right, very comfortable for a couple.

As for age....sailing may be the fountain of youth. All that bending and moving about, using muscles you forgot you have, combined with all that good healthy sea air...you'll get younger every day you are aboard. Ditch the refrigeration and you'll save your batteries and eat a really healthy diet, increasing your lifespan even longer.

You are setting a good example for us all...you are doing it right.
I wish you good health, and happy days.
No need to wish you luck, apparently you have all you need already...a wife, a boat, good health, a couple bucks...who could ask for more?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 14:02   #35

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383

As for age - everyone else has already said it - go until you can't.

As for boat - its a fine boat

As for equipment - go FIRST - you will find out what you might like to add as you go.

I just left this August from Lake Superior and I'm still only halfway down the East Coast. The more I go the more I uncover the things that might make life easier on the boat, and the more I learn what I don't need. So take what you have and go, and find out what you don't need along the way, and you will also find out the things that you wish you had - day after day - those are the ones to get.
Old 17-01-2016, 15:20   #36

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

"Our hope is that this boat will work for us since it will be paid for by the time we retire."

No Sir, the boat will remain a constant drawing of cash, though an enjoyable one.

Be ready for this, and to work for her

Happy sailing, an please focus on NOW...2019 IS OUT OF ANYONE'S SCHEDULE :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 15:23   #37

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
Welcome to the forum, I sail a 20 ton gaff rigged Ketch mostly single handed and I'm almost 78, I have a BIG heavy duty auto pilot to steer the boat, don't let the age thing impact your dreams, cruising is a wonderful way to stay healthy. All the best, Doug.
Sir, could you please change your name into a more appropriate.. DOUG-STIFF !?
:-) :-) :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 15:45   #38

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Boat is fine. Age should be no problem if no fitness issues. Cruising is more work then driving a car but quite doable for an average 70 something. Much of it is mental not physical. Sailing locally for a few years will teach you what labor saving devices you need. A key variable is making sure your wife shares the dream. The cramped quarters of living aboard will expose fault lines.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 15:53   #39

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beneteau1954 View Post
Hello all new member here..My wife and I are new owners of an 1998 Oceanis 36cc...Our plan is to cruise the ICW, US east coast and eventually make our way to the Caribbean when we retire in 3 years..Our experience consist of 20 years of lake sailing. My question is do we have the boat that will allow us to fulfill our desires? I know that I will need to add and update equipment. Our hope is that this boat will work for us since it will be paid for by the time we retire. I'm also a little concerned if age 65 is maybe to old to consider such an undertaking? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

How do I change my forum user name? Thanks
Never too old. I'll be 73 this month and will splash in July. On my own, no help, only support I have is this forum and a few wonderful people who offered help. My friends all think I'm nuts. I don't have years of sailing, very little, but will learn. I have no fear that I'll make it.
You shouldn't either. Go forward with all the excitement you feel. Wishing you both the best.
Old 17-01-2016, 16:10   #40

I hear about a lot of running aground in the ICW. I'd think twice if I had a six foot draft. Age don't mean a thing. Life begins at sixty. Active Captain will keep you informed on obstacles in your path. Have fun!
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 16:13   #41

Hey Carl, You hit the nail right on the head. I'm in the same boat as you. Nothing like learning as you go. I can't wait to drop my new old boat in the water and see where it gets me. Ha Ha .
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 16:33   #42

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

My wife and I did a 6 month cruise in our Hunter 356 from Kentucky Lake to Punta Gorda, Fl in 2013-14. We were 66. We like comfort and have a full enclosure, satellite TV and a generator we run full time so we have heating and cooling and all the other amenities while we cruise. We plan on doing the trip again. I don't have a watermaker and water was available, but if I were going to the Bahamas I'd get a watermaker. We have radar and AIS and needed both on the Tenn-Tom. We haven't been on the East ICW but radar and AIS would be high on my list. We are going to do it again, maybe this fall. We'll be 69 if we do and I wouldn't hesitate to make the trip.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 16:41   #43

Boat: Cape Dory 33

We are leaving Baltimore this fall (depending on sale of house) with the same cruising plan. My husband will be 66, I will be 62. Our boat is a 33 Cape Dory with a similar draft. We have no doubts about boat or our ability to enjoy this lifestyle. I agree with those who say don't go nuts outfitting the boat. We have sailed coastal for decades with very simple systems and plan to start out this cruise the same way. Additional needs will reveal themselves as we go.

Best of luck to you.
Old 17-01-2016, 19:35   #44

Boat: None at this time, still looking for my next great looper

Good lord man! I live in Florida and we have boaters in ages up into the 90,s out here living the life. For a long float see your Doc first then have proper amount of meds for trip plus some extras and go. mrs and I are in 70's looking for the right Great Loop boat at present, then will leave for 5-6000 mile looper east coast, great lakes Mississippi route to Florida .I'm 100% disabled retired US Army and haven't any doubts why not to go. Got a PC, cell phone and will file my float plan with my kids before leaving. live the life and go for it!
KidSheeleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 20:06   #45

Thought I was doing ok sailing the Med aged 67, then I met a couple both aged 85 sailing an Amel Supemaru. Read about an old fellow who said that he would give up sailing when his wife couldn't winch him up the mast. He was over 80.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, men, retirement