Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2010, 20:40   #1

Cost to Hire Skipper ?

Anyone have any idea how much it might cost to hire a skipper to go from
San Francisco to Hawaii? With me buying a return ticket cost of course?
Thanks
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 20:48   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I would Google "delivery captain" and start asking. They all have different rates and different methods for determining the cost. The cheapest is not going to be the best or safest. Check with your insurance company about doing this, they may have their requirements.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 21:16   #3

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Get lots of references so that you can talk to previous customers of any delivery skipper that you might hire.

Not all delivery skippers are created equal, and I don't think that there is any positive correlation between what the skipper charges and the quality of the delivery crew or the state of the yacht when it arrives.

I have seen some sad delivery skippers who I would not let touch my yacht.

Good luck on finding an outstanding captain for the delivery.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 21:58   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
a downwind delivery?

I don't get it.
Old 26-07-2010, 22:06   #5

Boat: Privilege 39
Figure 250-300 US$/day plus provisions plus plane tickets.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 22:59   #6

Bash
Bash I am a newborn to sailing shall we say.

scotte
thanks for the info exactly what I was looking for............ yikes $5,000 to$700 to deliver to Hawaii I don't think so. Hmmm I wonder what now?
Old 27-07-2010, 00:54   #7

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Start asking around in your club amongst the more seasoned members who appear to know what they are doing. It may be that someone would welcome the adventure and would be happy to do it for the price of a ticket and food. Otherwise, learn fast

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 01:24   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
Figure 250-300 US$/day plus provisions plus plane tickets.
I normally charge £120 per day which is equal to $200.

To those who think it is excessive, think a little more about the job. On watch 8 hours a day, on call 16 hours plus time spent provisioning, etc, etc. + Cost of liability insurance - would you work for what is effectively minimum wage rates?

You expect someone to do a professional job so don't complain if you have to pay a realistic rate!

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 02:10   #9

edsailing no one is complaining. I am merely stating that 21 days at $250 each day is out of my budget. I have been self employed for over 15 years so understand your point about being paid a reasonable amount. btw I do not think $ 250 per day is excessive.
Old 27-07-2010, 02:19   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
OK, point taken. I guess you need to factor in costs like this when you take on the responsibility of boat ownership.

Personally, I would be very picky about who I give my boat to for delivery........ Check them out thoroughly!

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 04:24   #11

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
From what I've seen of delivery captains on the ICW I'm not sure I would let some of these guys take my garbage out to the bin.
Marinas and boatyards are packed with guys calling each other Captain Bill and Captain Charlie as is they owned a boat or had a job.
Insurance is a real issue and law suits across state lines are difficult to pursue.
That said, there are lot's of great captains out there with a lot to teach you.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 05:00   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dofthesea View Post
Anyone have any idea how much it might cost to hire a skipper to go from
San Francisco to Hawaii? With me buying a return ticket cost of course?
Thanks
I suspect this question is founded on discovery of another facet of island life when it comes to buying a boat. Not only less choice but also higher prices than on the mainland. Can be quite annoying for Mr Google to keep throwing bargains at you - but just out of reach!

On the cheaper end of the market (at whatever size) usually not financially worthwhile to buy a long way off island - even against the higher price, simply due to the costs of making a new purchase seaworthy enough for a long(ish) voyage. Don't underestimate the additional cost & aggro from buying away from home to return with - things that could (and would) normally wait for "Later" need to be done now and from unfamilair people / suppliers = usually higher cost. Plus you don't have all your usual resources on hand from tools to freinds to transport at next to zero cost. And that's all leaving aside the buying trip(s).

The upside is that a) you get to visit all prospects in person and b) a decent chance of getting on the grapevine and finding out some useful history about the boat / the owner / his financial circumstances (about his wife , his girlfreind and depending on size of island - what he was like a school ). For some things Mr Google is no substitute
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 06:22   #13

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Its about 2200 miles, so figure $2/mile plus expenses for the captain. What about the rest of the crew? A lot depends on the size of the boat and its readiness to go offshore--for example, repacking the liferaft might be $600.

The whole delivery thing is also weather dependent. Its one thing to sail to Hawaii in the summer, and a whole lot different in the winter.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 07:06   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
I just got a quote for moving from Spain to the Caribbean at 1.50 "per sea mile". Not sure if he meant nms or not; however assuming 150 "miles" per day in a cat, that would be about $225, so that seems in line.I had to pay the flight back, which seems reasonable.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 12:11   #15
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
My captain charges $150/day. He has 15 transatlantic deliveries and two transpacific's. I really don't know about other areas but that's basically the going rate in the Leewards.

Also, there's a difference between a guy who's a "Captain" and is going to sail your boat to Hawaii and a delivery crew. Take it any way you want, but it's not a bad gig. Your autopilot actually sails the boat and the most work you generally do is cooking. What your actually paying for is someone who can keep their head together when S#$T hits the fan (if it does).