Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2015, 10:05   #31

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Cost of Re-canvassing a dodger...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vogdes View Post
I had a dodger recanvased last fall by a couple I found on Craigslist, they did a wonderful job and could' be happier $800 for a Watkins 29
Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Not that I'm statting it cant be done on a small dodger
But the material alone will cost you around 4 to 6 hundred depending on quality used.
It is possable, and we have done somewhat the same as we've traveled being we are working on the boat and have basicly no overhead. and we can afford to work for three or four days building something when we would otherwise be setting, fishing or just goofing off.
But you'll find that there are few doing as we do and provide the quality in a good product.. It can be done but its rare...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 10:18   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
so what you are saying is that he is going to replace your one piece dodger with a multi pannel dodger,(keeping the frame) the top and 5 zip in pannels , three across the front and both sides for 695.........If so, I'd surely get that in writing.. The material alone should be about that........
By the way, your one piece dodger is not an OLD style.. Its called a "California Style" due to the fog on the west coast, the pannels never needed to be removed and the dodger can be built in one piece.. In areas where you experance more heat, removeable pannels are more sought after for ventalation. The multi pannel dodger has the design where it can be turned into a mini-bimini in hot conditions.......
picture of ours with pannels removed..........
click on picture for larger image.......
Yes, I got it in writing. And since I posted that, some more material has been found to be questionable, so he's going to keep the glazing, do away with the extra zippers and still come in below $1K.

I understand the definition of the differences, but there are two points of view about the reasons. Yes, the panels don't need to be removed for sailing/weather conditions here where we sail. But the other advantage, as I mentioned in the post, is that if one section has something broken it can be removed and repaired for less cost.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 12:07   #33

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Yes, I got it in writing. And since I posted that, some more material has been found to be questionable, so he's going to keep the glazing, do away with the extra zippers and still come in below $1K.

I understand the definition of the differences, but there are two points of view about the reasons. Yes, the panels don't need to be removed for sailing/weather conditions here where we sail. But the other advantage, as I mentioned in the post, is that if one section has something broken it can be removed and repaired for less cost.
Just be very careful Stu. Being in the business myself, It's very easy to use less than desireable parts and material to cut the cost without the customer knowing any different..

The windows are a good example.. Strada-Glass makes a couple different degrees of the class of their product.
Crystle-Clear is one of the products, same as Strada-Glass but without the additional poly finish buffed into it and much cheeper.. Its a good product, and I've installed much of it but it takes a skill to see the diferance..
Its also hard to tell the difference between 20 , 30 , or 40 mill thickness once its installed..
They also make, different grades within the same product and its marked with an "X" on the top of the barrel..
In doing some research a few years ago when we had our shop, I couldnt understand how some of the canvas shops, mainly in Florida could be building tops and inclosures for fishing boat at the price they were.. I found out that in the cheeper units, they were using the seconds and thirds of the product and cutting the window areas based on where the flaw was in the material.
Even in the material "SunBrella" if a 60 yard roll has more than 7 tags hanging off it, ( tags are little red tyes at the outside of the roll where the flaw is) the material is rejected and sent to companies outside the US but often come back in, labeled as a different product as "sumbrella-like-material" as its sold.. same material with more flaws and much cheeper..
I myself buy some of this when doing matress covers or to be used on the bottom of a cushion when a customer wants to cut costs..
I have even known scum of canvas people who would go to Jo-ann fabrics and buy clear vinyl used for table covering, as picnic tables for parties, and install it and call it quality window material..
Cheep can even go to zippers,, the better quality are YKK, most others are junk..
Just be very carful....
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 12:14   #34

Thanks for the warning, much appreciated. We are using our existing glazing. Hope you enjoy Clipper Cove.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:17   #35

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Just be very careful Stu. Being in the business myself, It's very easy to use less than desireable parts and material to cut the cost without the customer knowing any different..

The windows are a good example.. Strada-Glass makes a couple different degrees of the class of their product.
Crystle-Clear is one of the products, same as Strada-Glass but without the additional poly finish buffed into it and much cheeper.. Its a good product, and I've installed much of it but it takes a skill to see the diferance..
Its also hard to tell the difference between 20 , 30 , or 40 mill thickness once its installed..
They also make, different grades within the same product and its marked with an "X" on the top of the barrel..
In doing some research a few years ago when we had our shop, I couldnt understand how some of the canvas shops, mainly in Florida could be building tops and inclosures for fishing boat at the price they were.. I found out that in the cheeper units, they were using the seconds and thirds of the product and cutting the window areas based on where the flaw was in the material.
Even in the material "SunBrella" if a 60 yard roll has more than 7 tags hanging off it, ( tags are little red tyes at the outside of the roll where the flaw is) the material is rejected and sent to companies outside the US but often come back in, labeled as a different product as "sumbrella-like-material" as its sold.. same material with more flaws and much cheeper..
I myself buy some of this when doing matress covers or to be used on the bottom of a cushion when a customer wants to cut costs..
I have even known scum of canvas people who would go to Jo-ann fabrics and buy clear vinyl used for table covering, as picnic tables for parties, and install it and call it quality window material..
Cheep can even go to zippers,, the better quality are YKK, most others are junk..
Just be very carful....
We are in the process of shopping for a new dodger.
1. The deck area where the dodger is mounted is flat, there is a channel screwed into the teak. There is a 2” tall section (with a zipper on top) that is threaded thru the channel and the dodger is zippered to it. Would we be better off ditching the zipper and using snaps?
2. Would we be better off ditching the channel and installing a 1/2” to 3/4” tall base for the snap fasteners?

Posting this on my Ipad, will add pics from my computer in a few minutes.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:50   #36

Here is a picture of the current channel for our dodger.

Old 06-10-2019, 14:18   #37

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I prefer the channel myself. It allows a cleaner look as well as a more water tight attachment
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 20:10   #38

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

Keep the channel. It distributes the forces evenly, unlike snaps. Check it very carefully to make sure it's not sun damaged or cracked. FWIW, I usually charge $10/foot, plus $40/bend, to install if I'm doing the canvas work.

(I mostly service powerboat dealers and while I own a sailboat, I generally don't work on them.)
kayakerChuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 21:47   #39

Cool Re: Cost of Re-canvassing a dodger...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakerChuck View Post
Keep the channel. It distributes the forces evenly, unlike snaps. Check it very carefully to make sure it's not sun damaged or cracked. FWIW, I usually charge $10/foot, plus $40/bend, to install if I'm doing the canvas work.

(I mostly service powerboat dealers and while I own a sailboat, I generally don't work on them.)
As it is aluminum, it is not sun damaged or cracked.
Old 06-10-2019, 22:38   #40

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Seems like you want to keep your dodger frame and get new canvas and maybe windows?

And how much will it cost?

Depends on where you are.

Here in Mexico, if you bring your own material, about $400.

In Seattle, About $3000 or more, if they will even do it.

Me, I do my own dodgers. The first one was rough, but worked. They get better with practice. I now buy Mexican Acrylic fabric, which seems to last as long as Sunbrella, at 1/5 the price, and I use basic window material so I can fold the dodger down. (I like the wind in my face when sailing). I use UV-safe thread. A dodger lasts about 8 years for us. My last dodger, using the original frame, (which I made in 1993) cost me about $200, I did it last summer, it took 4 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dodger shots.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	201058  

Tags
canvas, dodger