Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2011, 10:30   #16

Boat: Moody 44
Re: Cost Estimates for Necessary Work on Oyster 41, Pre-Purchase

Thanks for all of the above. We did get to offer, but the survey picked up some major issues with the hull - surprising with an Oyster - so we weren't able to proceed.

Now the proud owners of a Marcon 34 - since January - and getting as much time out there as we can.
squashmikeyp25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 10:49   #17

Yeah, I learned this the hard way: Used expensive boats are not necessarily any better than other boats used. Other then the hull and furniture, the same stuff goes bad! Fuel tanks, pumps, hoses, all appliances on deck and below, engines, shafts, rigging, masts etc etc. (and even the hulls blister etc just as well as cheaper boats)
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 11:03   #18

Boat: C&C Newport 41

assumption: 10K £ = 20K USD
assumption: cost of materials & labor in the UK = materials & labor in the US (San Francisco CA)

i encourage you to to also factor in your time frame...

if you need this work done sooner than later, doing much of this work yourself may not be possible and you will need to buy your way into a solution.

i have priced out most of the same work recently and my best guess says you are close to your 10K number but prob a bit short.

as always your intent for the boat is also a variable. used sails can be great and save you a lot on the mail sail replacement expense. i would not want to manage the risk of a used sail if i were about to embark on a major voyage.

in line with 'intended use' i would suggest also considering intended crew. if you will have semi experienced crew members you do NOT want your running rigging to be all the same color. yelling 'the other blue one... i mean the other other other blue one... no back one to the left' when any one of 34895734573 things go wrong will result in at least frustration and possible injury.

when i budget, i do my best to factor in what i can do myself, what i cant do myself what i am willing to pay (perceived value), my time frame and always expect my budget may increase by 50%. my estimates tend to be spot on but there are always related expenses (e.g i am getting a bottom job done so it is the right time to inspect and replace the thru holes and when the haul her out the mast is coming down so it will replace some of the mast hardware because... it is a lot easier to do it when the mast is down etc).

seems like the boom is the biggest unknown and may push u well over your 10K estimate.
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 15:28   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW:

In Australia I have found that chandleries are willing to sell cut lengths of different colored line at spool prices IF the total length exceeds the spool length. Haven't tried this in the States for many years, so I dunno there.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
oyster