Old 22-11-2012, 11:46   #46
Vendor

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Re: Cost and Intricacies of Boat Transport

Are you purchasing a boat sight-unseen?

Chris

Old 22-11-2012, 11:47   #47

The M25 engine is 21 hp - just to confirm your guess.

One could make the point that it's not much colder in winter than summer along the California Coast once north of Pt. C.

Everything you want to know about the Catalina 34 is here. Please consider joining our Association, lots of helpful advice.

Main Message Board

Catalina 34 - C34

My M25 on our '86 boat has 2572 engine hours.

All you need to do is change the oil, fuel filters and transmission fluid. The ways to do it are included in the links. Read the CRITICAL UPGRADES page in the first link, very important stuff, especially for older boats like ours.

Congratulations.

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 20:14   #48

The high quote may be from Calif law that requires lead and trail cars if the width is over 10(?) feet, which I am sure the Catalina is. They also restrict the times that a wide load can be on the road. Even at that ,$3000 seems high. If You have the flexibility of time to go with Capt Jeffries, then I think it would be well worth it for an amazing learning experiance. The only delivery that I took an owner along was Northbound in Feb. We both learned a whole new definition of COLD. I think it was the second afternoon out that I told the owner that we were within distance of a safe anchorage that we could spend the night and get a good hot meal. He couldnt say yes fast enough! I showed him how to dodge the outer clumps of kelp, and find an opening large enough to drop and set the hook without backing into the kelp behind us. We left in the morning well rested and fed. It turned out to be a very enjoyable delivery for both of us, and he thanked me for the experiance.____Grant.
Old 25-11-2012, 20:20   #49

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jeffry

That fee does not include yard costs getting her out of the water and splashing back in the water. How much were the decommissioning and recommissioning, yard/technician costs? How long ago was that trucking price? Pre war gas prices..??
This was 2012. 100% of the costs I paid were stated. My sailboat was already on my trailer. It was hook on, kick the tires and go.

My uShip driver figured out where the boat was at, and bid the job looking at my boat. His home was on the way to my location, which gave him the edge. My high bid was $1800. Remember, while my boat is 32 feet long, it is not over width or over height.

Date in pic shows oxidized sailboat in LA CA and a cleaned boat in my slip. My turn around time from pre uShip to sailing was just a few weeks. Minor diesel repair, lots of cleaning and we splashed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-11-17-53-37.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	50289
Old 25-11-2012, 21:30   #50

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I like uShip, and would use it again, but can't stress enough, that every driver is an independent contractor, so you need to check their references. My driver had 31 positive responses in uShip, and one negative comment about not being a great communicator. Boy was that correct. He was hard to reach several times.

Thumbs up for uShip!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: