Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-11-2012, 08:17   #31

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Cost and Intricacies of Boat Transport

Good point, daddle... the wind doesn't always come from the NW and one needs to listen and understand the weather, particularly in winter months.
To gjordans' point, another favorite of mine was behind Ano Nuevo island in front of the sea lion rookery between Santa Cruz/Monterey and Halfmoon Bay. Commercial fishermen are among the most reliable source of west coast anchorages from Alaska to Mexico. I've spent many a night there waiting for the NW swell to abate and even spent a week there with the kids before you were forbidden to go ashore. There used to be some old shacks on the barrier islands that were radio stations for incoming naval vessels that were fun to explore. The antennas used to still be strung from the high points on the islands and it was a favorite for the Monterey and Moss Landing fishing fleet to hide out.
Lots of good advice on this thread for newbies and experienced sailors alike... Phil

Old 21-11-2012, 11:02   #32

Capt Phil, Ano Nuevo was my first ever anchorage in an open cove. I had spent the night before in Half Moon Bay and didnt leave until the fog lifted around noon. It didnt take long to realize that we were not going to make Santa Cruz by dark, in fact we barely made Ano Nuevo by dark. Rounded the lighted buoy at dusk and headed in under drifter and full main(dead engine) and could not see a thing. Dropped the hook way out from what I thought was shore and stayed the night. The wind picked up just enough to make the low moaning sound in the rigging and the Sea Lions roared all night long. All in all it was a very spooky night, and I was glad to leave in the morning when the fog lifted enough to see a quarter mile. I didnt get to see any of the interesting things that you mentioned. It is interesting how a Newbie (me at that time) can have such a different outlook on an anchorage than a more experienced sailor._______Grant.

Old 21-11-2012, 12:57   #33

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

My kids were into sailing full on and really enjoyed exploring all the little nooks and crannies from Alaska to Mexico. They became quite accomlished sailors and my youngest even tried commercial fishing for a season following in his Dad's footsteps. He quit after one season saying I had to have been crazy to do it for so long!
The barrier islands are quite low at Ano Nuevo so the wind sweeps across the sand through the rigging and can really howl but the holding ground is great and little swell. Good memories from that area! Thanks, Grant... Cheers, Phil
Old 21-11-2012, 23:19   #34

Ano Nuevo might be added to the Wiki by someone who has been there. I have only raced around the nearby buoy. Most of the other hideouts along that stretch are there already.

Thanks
Old 22-11-2012, 01:08   #35

Actually if you're gonna add Ano Neuvo to the list then don't forget Pidgeon Point. Many a commercial will hang on the hook to weather a blow in great comfort @ Pidgeon
Old 22-11-2012, 10:02   #36

Another one that I had forgotten about is Stillwater Cove on the north end of Carmel Bay. I dont remember much about the rather narrow entrance, but the cove lived up to its name. I think it would be good in anything other than a Southerly. It might have draft restrictions._____Grant.
Old 22-11-2012, 10:14   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Another one that I had forgotten about is Stillwater Cove on the north end of Carmel Bay. I dont remember much about the rather narrow entrance, but the cove lived up to its name. I think it would be good in anything other than a Southerly. It might have draft restrictions._____Grant.
Oh yeah. Stillwater is DEEP. A lot of boilies and protrusions. But the earlier comment about Pt Sur needs to be heeded. Not many holes from San Simeon north so the pfeiifer anchorage although rolly and not 100% sheltered is a good spot to anchor waiting to round Pt. Sur. After Pt. Sur the next stop is Monterey unless you WANT to hang out in front of the 50 million dollar shanties.

Not to digress but a cruiser anchored at stillwater and ritchie rich set to lobbed golf balls from his lawn onto the deck of the visiting yachtie. Of course that didn't end well when the sheriff got the call. Not a great task to take on a drunk beligerant filthy rich homeowner. Yachtie won but be aware the rich like their private enclaves and do not take well to dinks visiting their backyards---or so it seems in Carmel......
Old 22-11-2012, 10:26   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellanttech View Post
I'm not an expert on the weather for the west coast, but I would think the weather wouldn't cooperate for this time of year from LA to SF. That is a long trek, and bad weather is not a good idea.

He also didn't say if the boat was up to par for sailing. He did say it was in good shape, but that doesn't mean it's ready to sail. It should be though.

James L
Yeah, I'm not sure this is a great time of year for a new owner to take a light unknown boat north. A skipper to do the delivery in a weather window he picks would be good. If trucking, watch for mast damage from rubbing on the supports. Also, expect a lot of road dirt and oil that requires a lot of hard work cleaning. Boy, $3000 seems high for what.. 800 miles?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 10:26   #39

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Having used "Ushipit" and also sailed up from LA, that time of year, I can recommend neither. First I'll say you are going against the current and wind. Point Conception is unpredictable, no matter what the weather channel states. And...it's damn cold. If you were going to do it, it would be best with 4 people on 2 hour shifts.
I found going with the "best deal" on Ushipit, you end up with some pig farmer from back east, trying to make a quick buck. I used them twice. First time my roller furler was bent. After a year of hassling them for their Insurance carrier, I gave up. The second time, they guy's rig was nothing more than a one ton truck with a 3 axle trailer with feeble boat stands. That was a 200 mile haul that took him 8 hours! It cost me way extra in crane charges because they had to show twice.
If you are going to haul and transport ask a reputable broker for boat yard or a reputable trucker that does nothing but boats. Not a part time guy.
To address your financial question, I would guess $3000-$4000 to move it, $250 to de-rig it and the same to rig it. Haul out and put on the truck, $250 and the same on the other end. So count on close to $5000 by the time you're done.
Bash brought up a good point. Up here we say Catalina is the "Chevrolet of the Bay", because there are thousands of them. Chances are there is a perfect one here. So please look at the extra $5000 before buying.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 10:38   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good point, I have often drooled over a boat that was 3000 miles away and a good deal. Not a good deal after shippping!
If you do ship it use a good company like Associated Boat Transport etc.... Find out who these companies are by asking a local broker etc. Or call someone in CA like Pacific Seacraft and find out who they use.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 11:13   #41

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I shipped my 32 from LA CA to Nebraska for 1500 dollars through uShip. Or about a dollar a mile. I ended up meeting the driver in Denver, for 200 dollars less.

I think your bid is high. Your boat is heavier and wider, but you should be able to get a uShip bid for around a grand.
Old 22-11-2012, 11:17   #42

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash
There are so many Catalina 34s in SF Bay I can't imagine why you'd want to buy one in LA. Seriously. Get a copy of Latitude 38, and check the classified section. If there's not one available this month, there will certainly be one soon.
LA is hurting economy wise, more so than other areas of CA. The best deals are in LA area. Some people are walking away from boats for the slip fees, because there are no buyers.
Old 22-11-2012, 11:25   #43

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post
Hi again,

A lot has happened since my first post. After visiting some boats and further analysis, I decided to go for a Catalina 34. I found one in Los Angeles, which is said to be in a very good shape (pending survey results) and well priced. But now the question is the transport of the boat from LA to SF Bay. I opened a request for quotes on uship and I am getting bids short of three thousand. I understand having good reviews and reputation are important. On the cost point alone, I not sure what to expect, also I am trying to get a total by adding the additional costs that are associated (de-rigging, and rigging back etc.). I am not sure what those costs would be or how to get estimates on them.

Anyone has any practical experience on moving a boat? Any advice?

Thanks in advance,
I move lots of boats. Basically it's 360nm from Long Beach to SFO. Some guys charge per day. Issue with that can be weather lay days. I charge per mile. Fixed price. Normally can get another good crew for a lesser fee.
Owners are welcomed aboard for the trip. Other skippers do not like that.
If you would like more info, pm me or email me earthakat at msn dot com. I am 100 Ton Master and all certs are current. Will provide c/v and references which you should check. Cheers~
Old 22-11-2012, 11:30   #44

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
I shipped my 32 from LA CA to Nebraska for 1500 dollars through uShip. Or about a dollar a mile. I ended up meeting the driver in Denver, for 200 dollars less.

I think your bid is high. Your boat is heavier and wider, but you should be able to get a uShip bid for around a grand.
That fee does not include yard costs getting her out of the water and splashing back in the water. How much were the decommissioning and recommissioning, yard/technician costs? How long ago was that trucking price? Pre war gas prices..??
Old 22-11-2012, 11:31   #45

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

There ya go...good offer

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: