Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2017, 07:58   #16
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Corpus oxide

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I wonder just how much that adding things may mess up the paint, anything from adhesion to reducing its effectiveness.
My guess is that modifying your paint would void any warranty it may have come with.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 08:00   #17

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Not many. Copper is still far-and-away the most common biocide used in anti fouling paints. That is not likely to change any time soon.
Agreed and it should stay like that because it is better than the alternatives. That does not prevent the environmental fundamentalists from pushing bans to deal with high copper levels that come from other sources, while they insist in setting aside the evidence that different forms of copper have different bioavailabilities, hence you cannot just talk about ppm copper.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 08:02   #18

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Should be linked this thread: Antifoul Paint - Do you add any 'extras'
Old 18-01-2017, 08:07   #19
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
That does not prevent the environmental fundamentalists from pushing bans to deal with high copper levels that come from other sources, while they insist in setting aside the evidence that different forms of copper have different bioavailabilities, hence you cannot just talk about ppm copper.
Yet the fact remains that copper loading in marinas and boat basins is measurably high, sometimes to the point of negatively affecting the local environment. I don't think it can be argued that pleasure craft berthed in these basins are not the source of this.
Old 18-01-2017, 08:11   #20

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Yet the fact remains that copper loading in marinas and boat basins is measurably high, sometimes to the point of negatively affecting the local environment. I don't think it can be argued that pleasure craft berthed in these basins are not the source of this.
I am with you re Marina del Rey but I was not referring to that. I was referring to waterways in the Netherlands that get their copper from other upstream sources.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 08:17   #21
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
I am with you re Marina del Rey but I was not referring to that. I was referring to waterways in the Netherlands that get their copper from other upstream sources.
I don't have enough knowledge of the issue in Europe to speak intelligently about it. But I am intimately familiar with the situation in California and can tell you that many bodies of water here are impaired for copper, not just MdR. So much so that the Department of Pesticide Regulation is requiring reformulation of some existing anti fouling products to meet new, lower copper leach rate criteria.

Interestingly, neither of my two favorite high-copper paints (Trinidad & Micron 66) exceeded the new standards and therefore will not require any changes.