Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-06-2011, 08:26   #1

Boat: Fisksatra Havsfidra
Cornish crabber Pilot 30- Anybody here got one?

I´ve been looking at the cornish crabber´s Pilot cutter 30.

Anybody on the forum got one?
What are so special about them and can they be used as a small liveaboard for 2 ppl?
How seaworthy is the design?

And most importantly is the standard price of 122,000.00 GBP justified on a vessel of just 30ff LOD??

Any thoughts

Old 28-06-2011, 08:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Cornish crabber Pilot 30- Anybody here got one?

Is any boat worth the money??? The Cornish Crabbers are fairly large, center board, character boats. Looked seriously at buying a used one though can't remember if it was the 30' variety. Used price was about a 10th of what you are quoting. The boat appealed to my retro grouch personality with the gaff rig and classic looks. The one I looked at came with a trailer but would have taken a substantial truck to haul on the highway.

As a heads up, the older model boat that I looked at had galvanized steel below the water line. It needed to be regalvinized after an indeterminate amount of time in the water. Might check to see if they've switched to bronze or SS or figure needing to be rebuilt regularly.

Old 28-06-2011, 08:44   #3
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cornish crabber Pilot 30- Anybody here got one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracies View Post

Anybody on the forum got one? Dunno
What are so special about them and can they be used as a small liveaboard for 2 ppl? Yes... unless your into walk around beds...
How seaworthy is the design? Very... rather sail one of these than a Bene 31 across an ocean...

And most importantly is the standard price of 122,000.00 GBP justified on a vessel of just 30ff LOD??
It'll hold its price better than any production boat on the market... and last a damn sight longer....
Any thoughts
Pilot Cutter 30
For those unfamiliar with Crabbers.....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 09:15   #4

Boat: Fisksatra Havsfidra

Hi Boatman,

Thats pretty much what i presumed.
I´ve send a request to CC´s and done a lot of research and considering second hand Pilot 30´s are still in the higher 60,000´s range they obviously are well built and the yard seems to offer a great aftersales service.

Im not really into walking around my bed, usually that means im gonna fall off it!
My big thought now is that my latest offer from Jeremy Rodgers for a Contessa 32 is also around 120,000.00 pre extra´s.

Now this is a dilemma, im a classic man (i know the CC is a modern classic out of GRP), i love sailing with a gaff rig and the extra beam and depth allows for slightly more interior space.

However would you want or be able to sail a CC into the same seas as a Contessa 32? thinking the general world milk run...

And also for class racing and offshore racing the contessa has its proven track record.

Obviously the CC 30 is a cruiser, not a cruiser racer.......

Still, im happy with my Havsfidra for now, but i´ll tell you anchoring for the night with any swell is not a fun experience....
Old 28-06-2011, 09:46   #5
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cornish crabber Pilot 30- Anybody here got one?

Quote:
Hi Boatman,
However would you want or be able to sail a CC into the same seas as a Contessa 32? thinking the general world milk run...
And beyond.... remember these are based on boats that worked the Western Approaches.... but then I'm Nutz.... ask anyone...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 09:54   #6
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

well, if you all are a classics man, and got money to blow, why not look for a Morse Bristol Channel Cutter?

http://www.samlmorse.com/
Old 28-06-2011, 10:00   #7

Boat: Pearson 281

When I first arrived on the docks here a built from scratch Crabber was just getting it's finishing touches. This guy had spent a good ten years on her and had even built his own teak blocks for all of his tackle. Really lovely, very nice work all around. Yes, liveable in a spartan sort of way... I'd think she'd make a nice boat for the bahamas or the PNW if you stuck a little wood burner in her and had a decent engine of some sort. The tragic part of the story on this particular boat is that the builder didn't seem to be much of a sailor... had all kinds of trouble handling the rig and only did a couple of short trouble-ridden sea trials before leaving L.A. for his home in Morro Bay.
Everyone advised him to take on the coastline around Ventura during the day... resting up on the hook just along the kelp line off Malibu but sure enough he pushed too hard with an unfamiliar, labor intensive rig , got tired, mistook some lights then got caught in the surf line just before Ventura. The boat was broken up in the surf off the beach. Some injury but fortunately skipper and mate survived. Must have been a heart breaker for the skipper. Too anxious to get his baby home.

The Contessa 32 has a great rep. That one is on my short list along with the old S&S designed Columbia 29 and the Folkboat.
Old 24-12-2011, 07:55   #8

Boat: Cornish Crabber Pilot Cutter

Yep, bought one this fall. Not been able to sail her yet cause of the weather and so. but we're looking forward to take her home. We just love the lines and the fact that she handeled very well during the test trips.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:51   #9

Thumbs up Re: Cornish crabber Pilot 30- Anybody here got one?

I agree that the pilotcutter is a very strong boat. I have sailed her on the north sea in 8 Bft several times. It performs better than boats of the same length who weight much less. It is also a comfortable cruiser for 4 persons. I am selling it because my 4 children are getting too big. I need a bigger boat.

details on: Pilotcutter 'Brothers in Arms' - Home
Old 08-09-2013, 09:04   #10

Quote:

Anybody on the forum got one?
What are so special about them and can they be used as a small liveaboard for 2 ppl?
How seaworthy is the design?

Any thoughts
I've got one. Built 2005, I bought it 2009. Took her across the channel, 2010, and through the French canals; Brittany, Lateral and Midi to the Med. Got as far as Corsica then had to turn back for 'domestic reasons'. Trip was three years altogether. It was great, just two on board with occasional family visitors. Very seaworthy crossing Biscay and the Golfe du Lion. Bow thruster, heating and holding tank all worthwhile add-ons. Got lots of admiring comments on the way.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: