Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2011, 21:01   #1

Cooper, US Yacht or Mapleleaf ?

We have recently purchased a 1980 416 Cooper Pilothouse, or should I say, I THINK that's what we bought! The National Vessel Documentation says we have a Cooper, but during a recent wax job, I noticed that there is a faded decal on the starboard side that distinctly says "US Yachts". Futhermore, an internet search shows the layout for both the Cooper and the US Yacht Pilothouse. It appears that our layout matches the US Yacht description.

To my knowledge, Cooper Enterprises built these boats for a couple of years around 1980, then experienced a fire from which they did not recover. I thought the production of the boats was then taken over by Bayliner. Many people going by our boat refer to it as a Mapleleaf also.

Help! Anyone know for sure how to tell? Would it be of any consequence to correct the vessel documentation if it's not right?
Cinnamon Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 05:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Cooper, US Yacht or Mapleleaf?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Cinnamon Girl.

I believe that Cooper Enterprises, in Port Coquilan, built the Stan Huntingford designed Cooper 416, which later became the US 42.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 06:08   #3

Boat: Cooper 416

Us yachts bought the molds in 1982. Which one did you get? I haven't seem but 5 of them.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 08:42   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

It looks like the MapleLeaf 42 was a precursor to the Cooper built 2yr earlier, slightly wider, same length and displacement but shallower with more ballast.

SailboatData.com has a misspelling of Port Coquitlam which is a suburb of Vancouver, BC.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 09:34   #5

Boat: Cooper 416

The Mapleleaf 42 was built by Cooper. Way different layout and cockpit configuration. Another Stan design. Check your vin# should start out cel416.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 17:14   #6

Re: Cooper, US Yacht or Mapleleaf ?

I am looking at a Cooper 416, and I am curious about the construction. Do you know if the hull is solid, airex cored, or balsa cored? What about the deck? What are your thoughts about overall construction quality? Coastal Cruiser? Bluewater Cruiser? Thanks.
Mackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:45   #7

Re: Cooper, US Yacht or Mapleleaf ?

Hi Mackster,

Glad to hear you are looking at the Cooper. We bought ours in August and are in the Puget Sound area. The survey indicated that the hull is solid to the waterline and then foam cored. I believe the deck is also foam cored? The boat seems stout in all ways and the couple that owned the boat before us was in the process of outfitting it for bluewater travel. I see no reason why it could not handle that type of sailing, although we have not done any. I do know that our boat circumnavigated Vancouver Island.

So far, we just love the boat, particularly for sailing in this area. She is not cumbersome at all, sails well in light air and seems stable and firm when on deck. (we moved up in size from a 33 'Pearson).

Others may have more comment on the specs for your bluewater question....the age old and ever interesting debate for most sailors!!
Cinnamon Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht