Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-01-2010, 14:40   #31

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Comfort Blanket
Instead of cooling the entire cabin how about some sort of "comfort blanket" for sleeping. Sorta like a heating pad, only in reverse. Circulate some cold water through tubes or something much more brilliant than that.

They have used coolant/water through tubes/mats under bedding in hospitals for many years. Have always wondered if could be applied, using a low power consumption curc. pump, either direct or indirect from cooler (hopefully) seawater? Maybe a projest for Sara?

hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 15:45   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
The issue with a cooling blanket or something similar is that a boat has a high humidity atmosphere for the most part. Anything colder than the air is going to get condensation on it.

Old 29-01-2010, 15:58   #33
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ok
here goes. i donot have windscoops. i will not have a/c. i sail ...i runaway from home to cruise..LOL--sailed gulf of mexico in summer last yr---was warm, yes-only was one day not truly tolerable--wind flows thru an anchored boat. not thru a marina boat--lol big difference----i have fan--bought 12 v fan at wally world for 10 dollars--it lasted a month--lol...as long as it was really needed---go figger--lol. but even the humidity and heat were nothing after the canvas tarps were placed over the cpoach house roof to keep the sun off--makes a huge difference--and if done correctly the storm winds wont kill it by tugging it off the boat.....canvas does miraculous things in cooling boats--why get something to drain the batts or cooking fuel when ye can have a canvas cover to keep things under control>>>> is an insulator--keeps sun from directly shining on your boat and heating it up soooom uch ye cant tolerate sleeping...LOL...what do they say---KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!.. the breakage factor is unlimited on boats--canvas may rip--but itisnt as spensive to repair as a/c and other fancy dancy things that arent as easy to use....btw---canvas keeps rain out of boats and ye can keep ports open in storms-for ventilation-wow---new idea..LOL......

there has been an apparent break from the old tradition of using canvas as a tool---i wonder why--is most effective and reliable....is it because the marina residents donot like the appearance of cruising boats?? or what isit--isnt simple to make a/c for boats nor is it reliable--keeping simple keeps ye on th ewater ...lol sailing instead of repairing...
Hahhahahaha..... Nice one ZeeHag..... best post I've read for Yonks...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 06:37   #34

Boat: 1970 Hughes 29
Can some one tell me what the name of the box that the air scoop/funnel/vent
is called?
Old 26-03-2010, 06:46   #35

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furface View Post
Can some one tell me what the name of the box that the air scoop/funnel/vent
is called?
Do you mean the Dorado Vent....

Born To Be Wild
Old 26-03-2010, 06:57   #36

Four methods...sailboats can change their position on the face of the earth. Therefore a motivated occupant can simply move to most any climate they desire. Say San Francisco, for example.

Also, as an engineer you'll need to wrestle with this weird amp-hour measurement boaters use (comparable to coulombs I think) rather than the more useful watt-hour.
Old 26-03-2010, 07:25   #37

Thanks boatman61

Now is that the actual name of the vent that looks like an old fashioned
telephone mouth peice or the box that it sits on?
Old 26-03-2010, 07:33   #38

D-o-r-a-d-e is a different kind of fish than a Dorado. And it's the vent you seek.
Old 26-03-2010, 07:38   #39

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

The "Mouthpeice" is a KOWELL..aka Cowl... the actual Dorado/e is the box it sits on which basiclly has 2 bits of wood or plastic inside, designed to stop any/most water that may get inside the box from entering the boat(Capsize excluded)... this then drains away through holes at the side...
Though someone may know otherwise....

Born To Be Wild
Old 26-03-2010, 07:40   #40
DoÖ or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
The box that the dorade vent is mounted on is called a "water separator" or "dorade box". The boxes that you can buy are often very ugly so many boats have custom build them.

Jedi has 15 dorades but all the water separators are integrated into the deck coamings or other superstructure.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 26-03-2010, 07:41   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There's plenty of boat ACs out there that work fine. Provided you have lots of AC current to power it. What's needed is a 12-24VDC heat pump type system that uses less than 10Amps...On a boat, the biggest issue is generally the power sources that are needed to run the current assortment of devices that more and more sailors, or their wifes, won't leave home without...

Real sailors use awnings for shade and open hatches/ports for air flow rather than reley on AC. haha. How many on this forum lived before there as such a thing as home AC in any form?? Remember sleeping porches? Good old days?? I'm not too sure about that...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 07:44   #42

Boat: contessa 32
1.Get awnings up. 2.Take off clothes.3.still hot? go for a swim! No engineer needed . No consumption of energy.
Old 26-03-2010, 07:46   #43

Cowl and dorado, got it. Thanks boatman61 and s/v jedi.
Old 26-03-2010, 07:49   #44

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
There's plenty of boat ACs out there that work fine. Provided you have lots of AC current to power it. What's needed is a 12-24VDC heat pump type system that uses less than 10Amps...On a boat, the biggest issue is generally the power sources that are needed to run the current assortment of devices that more and more sailors, or their wifes, won't leave home without...

Real sailors use awnings for shade and open hatches/ports for air flow rather than reley on AC. haha. How many on this forum lived before there as such a thing as home AC in any form?? Remember sleeping porches? Good old days?? I'm not too sure about that...

ARRRRRRR.... Jim Lad...
They dont make em like they used too....
ARRRRRRRRR.... Shiver me timbers...
Where's me Tot-o-Rum....

Born To Be Wild
Old 26-03-2010, 08:07   #45
DoÖ or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
See Dorade box - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for how they work and the history.

The name comes from the name of the yacht (Dorade) that first had these boxes. Dorade & Dorado are both fishes and they might even swap the type of fish meant from one language to another.
Here's the first ever Dorade box aboard the Dorade:

Dorade is an Olin Stephens designed yacht built in 1930. Rod Stephens designed the dorade box. Rod was the brother of Olin and the brothers started S&S with Drake Sparkman.

ciao!
Nick.

Tags
cabin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: