Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2011, 12:14   #1

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Conyplex Corporation Contest 33

This is a thread about a boat I just purchased. Though the title says it's a 1962 I feel this is a typo that it is actually built between 1970 and 1975 Hull # 106.
In this thread I will go through the various projects the boat needs and post repairs made. I have already started making it sea worthy.
The very first thing I need to do is a thorough cleaning of all cushions,lockers, etc.... The boat was previously owned and lived on by a 81 year old man that could no longer maintain it properly so there is a lot of disrepair and flawed repairs.
Some of the repairs needed and planned maintenance are.

1. Thorough Cleaning inside and out.
2. Upgrade Head and add holding tank.
3. Get engine running if not locked up remove completely if locked up.
4. Rebed all Stancions, Chain Plates, Cleats,Chocks, and Rails.
5. Paint Decks and Hull.
6. Add a wind vane.
7. Replace all Halyards and rigging
8. Additional water storage.
9. Replace the electrical system and add electrical charging equipment.

This is all just off the top of my head right now. Some things are going to change and this is by no means in any particular order.
Please remember this is a boat that was built to go anywhere and that is what I am Getting it back in shape to do over a five year period.

The ultimate goal is a world cruiser that is able to go on $500.00 a month or less.
Old 23-02-2011, 12:18   #2

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Conyplex Corp. Contest 33

I was looking through my boat's documents last night and found that the previous-previous owner had the year incorrect and it wasn't fixed at the DMV until the previous owner purchased it.

The year of the boat will be somewhere in the Hull ID# you may have to ask Contest or other Contest owners to decipher it, or it may be obvious... but once you find out, you can change it if you ever need to get a new title (like if you change the registering state). or if you really want to, you can get a new title just to fix the error.
Old 23-02-2011, 13:06   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to joey69

Hey,
I have been following your progress on the other thread.Glad you started a new one.I am interested in doing the same thing as you.I am on a fixed income and want to "get out there".The only way I can see myself doing so,is by purchasing a fixer-upper and working on it for a couple of years.Every one tells me that I am crazy but,I believe it is possible.I look forward to your progress.
joey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 13:21   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Good idea with the thread.

Before photos would be good
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 17:21   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Might be a good idea to close out the old thread with a comment on your intent.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 17:45   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Dick Zaal design?

Many Contests I have been on were great boats - seaworthy designs and well built too.

If any serious sailing involved move your item 7 up the list (standing rigging - replace). Unless you know how old it is.

Pictures! pictures!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 22:01   #7

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Good idea with the thread.

Before photos would be good
+1 and regular ones with your updates
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 01:09   #8

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Welcome Project Thread

We wish you success on your venture. I hope the thread can be kept to relevant updates, pics, and relevant advice and suggestions which are technical and aid the project. The project's threads if re-assessed each week could be revised ie delete those not needed re the project so a precise documentation of the project as it grows and is finalised is the result. This could then be useful in the technical post archives.
Clyde
Old 24-02-2011, 06:51   #9

I went to the boat last night with a chain wrench. The motor is locked up and I will try to fill the cylinders with rust penetrant and see if I can work the engine loose. If not I am going to remove the engine entirely and possably go with a hung outboard or without engine completely..
I have to admit the space below the doghouse would make a great space for the batteries. I could fit up to 6 easily on roll out shelves and not worry about cabin power just charging them.

I have a video but the blasted camera needs batteries. I will down load it hopefully this weekend.
Old 24-02-2011, 11:53   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
I went to the boat last night with a chain wrench. The motor is locked up and I will try to fill the cylinders with rust penetrant and see if I can work the engine loose. If not I am going to remove the engine entirely and possably go with a hung outboard or without engine completely..
I have to admit the space below the doghouse would make a great space for the batteries. I could fit up to 6 easily on roll out shelves and not worry about cabin power just charging them.

I have a video but the blasted camera needs batteries. I will down load it hopefully this weekend.
I would caution about committing to permanently having no inboard engine - I can see why a tempter to just yank the bugger out, but at some point you will want to sell and then no I/b will really hurt you $$$ wise.
Certainly no harm popping an o/b on the stern as an immediate solution, but I think your views on the desirability of an i/b will change over time - would be a shame to overcommit to one decision at the getgo (when you don't need to).

In your shoes I would keep the I/B installed for a season of use (with o/b on the back) unless there was enough signs of life to yank out into a workshop (and the cash for that!)..........and then keep an eye out for a s/h replacement i/b over the next year or 2. A lot of the cost for an engine is the installation / ancilliaries, so replacement with same model is usually the cheapest solution - and the advantage of an older engine is that always someone looking to "upgrade". So these things do turn up - just not usually when / where you want them . Might even be the case you get somewhere / find someone who can work some magic on your own engine - onboard or in the workshop.

But boats are full of decisions - making your own (and living with them ) is half the fun The other half is having opinions on the decisions of others...........
Old 24-02-2011, 12:50   #11

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

But boats are full of decisions - making your own (and living with them ) is half the fun The other half is having opinions on the decisions of others...........

Quote of the day. Hope it's original.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 05:50   #12
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
Quote of the day. Hope it's original.
Most of my stuff is original.

Originality is one of the side benefits from simply making stuff up

(you can have that one for free )
Old 01-03-2011, 09:13   #13

I went and got the inside scrubbed up this weekend. I still have to plug the head thru hull and replace the valve there just to turn the thru hull off. Then I can sail her.

I used a set of jumper cables and started checking what circuits still worked. I pumped the bilge and checked the running lights. The boat sits 6 inches higher in the water now. I am going to have to replace and move the electrical system.
New batteries in a new location,new battery switch, new panels and switches and new cabin lights are going to be a must.
I found a place online where 1157 LED running lights are only 9.99 each. I am going to buy 8 of them 4 for use and the rest for back ups. I still need to replace the spreader light bulbs as well but I need to climb the mast for the right bulb to use. Here is the link to the LEDS I found.

1157 1156 Autolumination.com leds (Automotive Replacement Light Bulbs, Headlights, Foglights & Lamps)

Harbor freight has solar panels for only 159.99 and I will be getting them also. 3 panels at 15 watts each. I figure that should do the job of charging the batteries for now and mounting them so as I won't need a Bimini but just a piece of cloth with an attached zipper to make up any gaps from the Dodger back.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:15   #14

I have pics of the boat and a video but I cannot for the life of me down load them. Any ideas how I can get the video and pics down loaded from a kodak c743 camera?
My computer used to have a microsoft pop up that was a scanner camera wizard but now I just get a empty pop up box.
Old 01-03-2011, 16:40   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post

Harbor freight has solar panels for only 159.99 and I will be getting them also. 3 panels at 15 watts each.
159.99 each?

If, so, expensive!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote