Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2013, 07:42   #121

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Re: Conyplex Corporation Contest 33

I just saw one of the pics I wanted to post didn't post at all. So here it is again I hope this one works.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/penneys...in/photostream

All you have to do is go back a page or two to see the difference in the color. Lots better this color I think.
Old 11-08-2013, 15:12   #122

I know all of the Contest owners look at this thread, so I will ask here. I looked at an early Contest 30 a few days ago,and under the Vberths there was a section that looked like it had been level, but now it was all raised up and burst from rusting iron. It looked like boiler punches, or some iron small pieces had been glassed in as some sort of trimming ballast, and water had penetrated, and rusted the whole mess, so that it looked like an eruption. Is this normal for Contest Yachts (1969) or someones after-thought, and is the main ballast in an early Contest boiler punches or some other form of iron???? There were a multitude of other problems with the boat, so I probably wont buy, but I didnt expect the huge pile of rust. Any information will be appreciated._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 18:04   #123

Some of the older Contests had some combination of iron for ballast even thought the 33' as I own, had all lead. Sounds like maybe water intruded into resin/iron mix and expanded.
eeeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 21:25   #124

The rusty iron looked like it had been just covered by a thin layer of glass, and not a resin mix. This makes me wonder about the keel, which had a section that looked like it was weeping rust from the inside. All in all, a nice boat that is in need of a huge amount of work. I dont think I will go back for a second look.____Thanks for the info._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:29   #125

I couldn't say either. On my 33 under the vbirth is storage mainly. No signs of any iron or ballasts. I am thinking of adding a water tank (20 to 30 gallons) just to add to the water I can carry.
Old 01-04-2014, 18:08   #126

Sorry I haven't been here guys but I have been working and working harder on my boat. It has been in the slip for over a year now and I finally got it to the yard and pulled it out to replace all the sea cocks. The good news is all the sea cocks are off the thru hulls and only one thru hull broke. However my worry about the safety of this boat was proven correct. As you remember I broke a nipple off when I first bought the boat and it worried me, the thru hull that is to this day. I now know why. I broke off the same thru hull with very little pressure. I also broke the 1 1/5 inch sea cock at the head as well. I was how ever able to get the nut (threaded portion) that was left with only minimal effort. look below. Also the thruhulls seam to have gaskets instead of sealer. So I am going to remove them and fiberglass the backing so the nuts have a good solid seat to hold them from behind. This boat was obviously neglected and
I am just glad I got to this when I did. I also have to remove the Rutter and repair it.

www.flickr.com/photos/penneys__auto/13571635014/
www.flickr.com/photos/penneys__auto/13571323733/
www.flickr.com/photos/penneys__auto/13571261745/
www.flickr.com/photos/penneys__auto/13571628544/
Old 02-04-2014, 19:27   #127

Just got out of the shower after being at the yard all night. I got the engine out in quik order though see below.

www.flickr.com/photos/penneys__auto/13593372335/

next I put in the new thru hull with 5200 and walked away until tomorrow. Then I clean the remaining and put a bead of 5200 around them to keep the water out. Tomorrow I'll install the new sea cocks and start on the Rutter. Look at pic it's a bit out of focus though.

www.flickr.com/photos/penneys__auto/13593372335/

I am worried about this. It is loose while sailing and you can feel it flutter.
The bracket at the base pivot 2/3 of the way down from the bottom of the boat is cracked and corroded through so I have to do it now. I just hope it isn't going to cost an arm and a leg.
Ill be back tomorrow for another update. Calm winds and following seas everyone.
Old 03-04-2014, 18:38   #128

Got the new sea cocks in tonight. Has anyone used pipe dope on threads instead of teflon tape?
Anyway I got the lower pivot and bracket off of the boat and tomorrow I will start the hunt to get it manufactured to a better spec then it is now. ( Someone had been in there before ) Why don't people do things right the first time? I'll need a new bronze bushing and a piece of stainless to weld around it and hold it in place. I think I'm going to ream out the holes that go through the part of the hull that holds this bracket and resin in two stainless tubes just so that it is water tight and there will be a place to slide that bolts through and hold the new bracket nice and tight.

www.flickr.com/photos/penneys__auto/13613597073/
www.flickr.com/photos/penneys__auto/13613584595/
www.flickr.com/photos/penneys__auto/13613584595/
Old 08-04-2014, 18:29   #129

Got the Bottom painted last night and tonight I put the new rudder bracket and bushing back on. So now she can steer and the bottom looks Awesome. I used Blue Sea copper coat Admiral Green. It's not as dark as I thought it would be but it really makes the boat pop. Of coarse the way the bottom looked before a 5 year old with a crayon could.ve made it look better. Tomorrow I will call the yard and finish the bottom under the stands.
Let me know what you think.

www.flickr.com/photos/penneys__auto/13728221083/
www.flickr.com/photos/penneys__auto/13728223193/
www.flickr.com/photos/penneys__auto/13728227773/
Old 10-04-2014, 18:26   #130

Well tonight I repacked the stuffing box and tomorrow is splash day. I hope everything is sealed up and ready to go. The old packing was the old teflon kind and hadn't been changed in a good long while so I definitely feel better about changing it out and getting her back in shape. The bronze stuffing box looks great and gleams right now that it's clean. I wish I new how to keep it looking so good. I can't wait to get the electric drive in the old girl.
Old 11-04-2014, 18:48   #131

Got down to the boat yard about four hours after they splashed the old girl. (I should have been there)The stuffing box was leaking at a pretty good trickle but I grabbed the socket and ratchet I had there just for the occasion and tightened the packing up to the point it dripped every minute and ten seconds as I pumped the bilge.
All looks good and I am ready to get the old girl back to her slip tomorrow. I have already started to wire the electric motor and when I get it to the slip I can start the install of the propulsion.
When that's ready it will be time to go sailing. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 27-06-2014, 09:16   #132

Just an update. I am finally getting the electric drive up and going. I got the Aluminum to make the bracket and hold the motor and shaft assembly. I have to get batteries, Shaft stock, thrust bearing, and a flexible coupler to get all the hardware together that I need.
I have wired up some of the motors needed connections as well as mounted the inverter I will be using on a backer board for easy installation and removal if needed.
Pics of the bracket and mounting board are below.
I was able to cut the Aluminum with a skill saw and carbide bit. That was a money saver. Just go slow and let the saw cut at it's own rate. If all goes well I'll be sailing again soon.
Tootles!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/penney...o/14333807710/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/penney...o/14520451575/
Old 22-12-2015, 09:18   #133

Well it's been a interesting year. They started building condo's next door to the marina I am in back at the end of 2013. Since then I have pulled the old girl and did the bottom among other tasks as you have read earlier. Over the year I have seen my boat buddies and they're boats getting pushed out of the marina for other slips in far off beaches and bays. Now it is my turn.
So as of last week I finally got the electric motor up and running so I can move the old girl. I will send you pics of the final installation as well as video. I am eager to see if at 4 or 5 knots the motor has regenerative qualitis. If it does even better for me and my batteries. Like I said I will take pics tonight and post them tomorrow god willing.
Oh and I move the boat to her new slip on Saturday the day after Christmas. They told me they would not be renewing my contract a month ago. Ain't Progress great? They couldn't even give me a reason for not renewing. I guess if your not a new stink pot owner your this guy.
Old 23-12-2015, 07:47   #134

Here is the link to Photo Bucket to see the wiring and electric motor mounting.

Boat motor Wiring 005 - Copy_zpsdpt3ja2m.jpg Photo by PenneysAuto | Photobucket
Old 01-01-2016, 17:14   #135

Well I moved the boat last weekend and it performed superbly. I ran aground twice and there was little to no wind but after a day and a half I got her to her new berth. Other then that and the anchor line tearing up my rub rail when I dropped the hook to get some rest all is well.
I definitely need to add the solar panels I bought to the electrical system as the batteries for the drive did eventually get to low to motor into the channel. I am working on a rack system to mount two 250 watt panels and then I will add a wind generator. I am hoping that it will be enough to top off the batteries when sailing to use the electric drive when needed. Anyway that's what I am up to pics to come as usual.