Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 13:42   #91

Boat: 1972 Contest 33
Re: Conyplex Corporation Contest 33

I just got back my cap for the bow this morning. Embree Welding here in St Pete Florida really out did themselves. This thing was made to fit a tank. I still need to pre fit it, get a back plate and blocking for it but it is awesome looking and heavy duty. Thank You Darrel at Embree Welding you guys are top knotch in my book.
Before I put the cap back on I want to paint the deck. I went and got a gallon of white semi gloss paint from fiberglass supplies here in St Pete and will roll and tip the deck. I also removed the lifelines not their bases to get at the deck easier. I will cut the paint with paint thinner and that should make enough paint for the deck and cockpit then I will paint and sand the standing areas a light gray to help with the glare and traction on deck.
Here is a link to see the cap deck pics are coming.

stem head 004 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
stem head 001 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
stem head 003 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks for coming by. If you have comments or advice let me know.
Old 16-10-2012, 09:45   #92

Hi,

I am really enjoying your thread and watching you get the old girl back to life. Seems you need to update it..=*^)

And both I and my lovely wife Jess love your avatar - very cute..

=*^)

Christer
Christerart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 12:24   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christerart View Post
Hi,

I am really enjoying your thread and watching you get the old girl back to life. Seems you need to update it..=*^)

And both I and my lovely wife Jess love your avatar - very cute..

=*^)

Christer

Thank You
I am getting ready to paint the deck before I reinstall the bow cap I had welded and reinforced. I will be taking pictures soon. I just have to wait for the temperatures to get below 80 degrees to paint.
Tonight I go to the boat to tape and mask off the railings. The life lines are gone the stanchions are being shined up at my shop. Soon very soon I will be posting again. So check in periodically.
Old 17-10-2012, 13:27   #94

Boat: 20' Montego

I have a Contest 27, bought in Rock Hall last Dec. Named Forever. I brought it around to Cobb Island MD and now it's at Dahlgren on the Potomac.
raybrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 15:13   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybrett View Post
I have a Contest 27, bought in Rock Hall last Dec. Named Forever. I brought it around to Cobb Island MD and now it's at Dahlgren on the Potomac.

Post some pics!
Old 19-10-2012, 11:44   #96

Hello all,

I have been following this thread and found very good info. I am also in the process of refitting a Contest 33. Mine #140. Already did the seacocks , antifouling, reseal hatches, some plumbing and other minor stuff but I still have not attacked the engine, rigging, electrical... All the major stuff. From your experience I am learning what points to check that I did not think of before. Thank you for sharing. My next job will be to remove the old refrg compressor and check if it can be saved, and make way to remove the fuel tank and clean it, put all new filters and pipes and reinstall. Then go for the electrical (all new wiring at least to the engine and minimal service, e.g. nav and interior lights) and finally do the engine. Hope I can go sailing in a few months. I'll post as I progress.

Best regards
Quaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 20:02   #97

I am brand new to this forum and I also just purchased a 1974 Contest 33 hull #93. Bought in NC and about to bring her back home to Florida. I've had a 31 Southern Cross and a 29' Ericson before but it's been 10 long years between boats. I'm really looking forward to this one, she a sweetie!
My first question, and observation about her, is she is woefully under equipped to accommodate ground tackle. It's so crowded in the bow with the bow pulpit design and the furling drum, which can be moved. Has anybody re-designed their anchoring system to hold a couple good size anchors and rollers?
I'm also curious if the Lofrans windless came from factory and what size the gypsy might be. Has rusty 3/8 chain on it now.
She's been sitting for a while, I can't wait to get her back in the water and go sailing. Tortuga's I think first.
eeeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:59   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaas View Post
Hello all,

I have been following this thread and found very good info. I am also in the process of refitting a Contest 33. Mine #140. Already did the seacocks , antifouling, reseal hatches, some plumbing and other minor stuff but I still have not attacked the engine, rigging, electrical... All the major stuff. From your experience I am learning what points to check that I did not think of before. Thank you for sharing. My next job will be to remove the old refrg compressor and check if it can be saved, and make way to remove the fuel tank and clean it, put all new filters and pipes and reinstall. Then go for the electrical (all new wiring at least to the engine and minimal service, e.g. nav and interior lights) and finally do the engine. Hope I can go sailing in a few months. I'll post as I progress.

Best regards
Welcome and keep posting. I am very interested in what you find and what you run into on your boat.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:16   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeasy View Post
I am brand new to this forum and I also just purchased a 1974 Contest 33 hull #93. Bought in NC and about to bring her back home to Florida. I've had a 31 Southern Cross and a 29' Ericson before but it's been 10 long years between boats. I'm really looking forward to this one, she a sweetie!
My first question, and observation about her, is she is woefully under equipped to accommodate ground tackle. It's so crowded in the bow with the bow pulpit design and the furling drum, which can be moved. Has anybody re-designed their anchoring system to hold a couple good size anchors and rollers?
I'm also curious if the Lofrans windless came from factory and what size the gypsy might be. Has rusty 3/8 chain on it now.
She's been sitting for a while, I can't wait to get her back in the water and go sailing. Tortuga's I think first.
Welcome aboard you will come to love your boat. The contests are very forgiving and seaworthy boats. Your right though they didn't put much into the anchoring of them. I have on my contest a sampson post installed at the bow above the anchor locker. I pulled it up and reinstalled it when I bought the boat just to reinforce the under side of it and rebed it to the deck. It has made all the difference now and the fact it doesn't leak is just more icing on the cake. As far as a windlass or gypsy I am hoping to someday mount a manual windlass above the locker as well.
I just last weekend as a matter of fact bought 25ft of 5/16 galvanized chain for my plow anchor that is of to the side of the bow railing. I also keep a good size danforth on the rail to the left of it for added holding. What I now want and need is a small anchor at the stern. A just in case anchor...

100_1080 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here is a pic in fact here are the pics I have taken leading up to painting the deck and reinforcing the stainless bow cap. Have a look and there are more coming soon.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:13   #100

Since you're just over the bridge from me I'd love to come meet you and see your Contest. Some of those chainplate pics are frightening!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:14   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeasy View Post
Since you're just over the bridge from me I'd love to come meet you and see your Contest. Some of those chainplate pics are frightening!
PM me and we can talk about that. It would be nice to see you and your boat as well.
Old 09-11-2012, 13:26   #102

Boat: 33ft sloop

Imminent to check keelbolts too.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 14:56   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
Imminent to check keelbolts too.
I have looked and looked for them but cannot see them. They must be in the cement at the bottom of the bilge.

I am looking for a yard to haul her out at and I will look harder when I can get her dried out a bit.
Old 09-11-2012, 17:19   #104

Turns out I have to become a "trusted member" to send private messages so this is my private message sent publically:

Hi,

My boat is going to be here by end of November for a month or so on the hard in NW Bradenton, just across the bridge for painting mostly. She doesn't need much more except.....those chainplates of yours are scarrrry! I'll be looking real close at mine. My email is eeeasy@hotmail.com.
I'd love to scoot up to St Pete and see your Contest. Rib Fest this weekend! I love to work on boats. Sometimes I think I like putzing with sailboats more than sailing.
I'm new at forums so if my protocal is a little off it's because I don't know anything about them.

Bob
Old 09-11-2012, 18:58   #105

Boat: 33ft sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
I have looked and looked for them but cannot see them. They must be in the cement at the bottom of the bilge.

I am looking for a yard to haul her out at and I will look harder when I can get her dried out a bit.

There is nothing hideous in a 33.

And, Conyplex NEVER uses cement for whatever cause.

If you open the bilge you can spot the keel bolts at once.

If not, you are wrong about the boat' s making.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote