Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2016, 22:43   #1

Contest 41, a good buy?

Hi everybody! My wife and I are considering buying a Contest 41 (from the Dutch manufacturer Conyplex). There are no tests or reviews to find on the net. Does anybody have knowledge of this particular model or of Contest yachts from the eighties in general? The 41 is a Dick Zaal design. We want a yacht that is good for offshore cruising on the North Sea. It will only be the two of us. We value stability, smooth movements and safety.
Captain Krook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 23:48   #2

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: Contest 41, a good buy?

My wife and I own a 1984 Contest 48 and we have sailed over 50,000 miles aboard her - since November of last year we've covered over 6,800 miles. Unfortunately, I know nothing about the Contest 41 but our boat was also designed by Dick Zaal, who has been remarkably responsive to my emails over the years.

Our boat is very well built and has aged gracefully, despite the hard miles we've covered in her. We have upgraded all of her original systems but she still has her original masts. In 2000 we removed her teak decks, added three layers of glass and painted - a decision we're glad we made.

All boats represent a compromise of some sort so whether the boat you're considering is a good value or not will depend much on what you're looking for. We didn't get a bargain price when we bought our Contest but twenty years later we still think it was the right decision.

Good luck, fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 01:01   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I am sure you have checked the designs as they are available on the net, if not, just google "dick zaal". Hmmm, I am sure, well fairly sure he did the design for the Contest 41.
There is also an Contest owners' club, very active and my experience is that they respond happily to any questions:
http://www.cyoc.nl/

I have been on some yachts by Dick Zaal, and they always impressed me (particularly the aluminium ones) and my only sailing experience is with a Black Pearl design (also around 41 ft), with centreboard, did sail OK, but interior layout was non-traditional.
Old 18-09-2016, 06:03   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

A Dick Zaal / Conyplex boat. This implies very good design / structure and it sails well too.

All the ones I have seen were getting a little bit long in the tooth. Worn decks are common unless an ex replaced.

I remember seeing a wing ballast on one. This will be a trap catcher.

Basically an alternative to a HR of the same size and era.

I believe I have seen ketches. Not really necessary for a 41'. A sloop will sail better.

If you want a heavy boat with nice furniture that sails well and protects you in the cockpit, this is something you will like.

If you are in a light area or planning crossing the tropics, make sure the engine is new or else in bristol shape.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 07:16   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Contest 41, a good buy?

Good strong boats..
Contest 41 sloop | Dick Zaal Yachtdesign

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 08:22   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Krook View Post
Hi everybody! My wife and I are considering buying a Contest 41 (from the Dutch manufacturer Conyplex). There are no tests or reviews to find on the net. Does anybody have knowledge of this particular model or of Contest yachts from the eighties in general? The 41 is a Dick Zaal design. We want a yacht that is good for offshore cruising on the North Sea. It will only be the two of us. We value stability, smooth movements and safety.
Any Contest is excellent boat. If the size and price are right there is nothing to hesitate about the builder. One of the best.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 09:40   #7

Crewed on one from Norfolk to BVIs. Very seakindly, strong boat, sailed well.
CC ketch, really liked her, nice layout.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2016, 11:10   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

It is nice to see so many positive replies to a post re: a particular brand and designer.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 06:28   #9

Thanks guys for all the answers. It does seem lika a good buy.
Captain Krook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 06:46   #10

I have a 36s and know the 41 ketch... I don't think it's a terribly fast boat but they are beautiful. I was commission to do a half hull model for one owner about 25 years ago.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote