Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2008, 17:09   #1

Considering an HR28

These boats seem very stable, watch should I watch out for, how would an HR28 handle light wind, they appear to handle the rough stuff very well.

John
radar912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 07:58   #2

Too much to say in a brief forum posting.

The LF Herreshoff 28 was usually a wood boat. You should have some idea of what the care and maintenance of wood is before purchasing a wood hull boat. Many of these were built in backyards and garages, with dramatically variable qualities as well as "custom" elements - some of which are better than the Herreshoff originals but honestly most of them were not.

The design is fabulous, should be a delight to sail. At the same time, it was designed to be a some-what more than daysailer. Do not expect the boat to have extensive stowage, and she will not retain her best sailing qualities if loaded down on her lines with too much gear. (On another hand, she was robustly built and it may be possible to reduce her displacement considerably with modern materials and techniques giving you chances for larger tankage and more extended cruising.)

By modern rig designs, the LFH sailplan is low-aspect, and a touch under-powered. The range of rigs I have seen on HR28s include sprit, gaff, and bermudan, but no doubt there have been more; the rig seems to have been a favourite for experimentation. I think the design would look best and sail well with a tallish race-style pole-masted gaff with topsail and genoa-jib. For ease of handling, the conservative bermudan she was designed with would be best, probably with a roller-reefing jib.

This is one of the last great designs for which consideration of a motor was not given. Almost every one ever built had a motor, but they were shoe-horned into the design rather than the hull specifically developed for their mass. Be aware that particularly massive motors may also shift the center of gravity.

I know a lot about the *design* of the boat, but have never actually sailed one, or seen any of the many I've found away from a dock. So this is strictly armchair advising from someone who is in love with the design and not very objective.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 16:59   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Radar.
Amgine might be referring to the H-28 Herreshoff not Hinterhoeller which is what I believe you are referring to.
Is that right Amgine?
I nearly bought an old wood H-28 ketch back in the early 80s. What held me back was the notorious Atomic 4 and that they wanted $15K for it. It was pristine but 15K was a lot of money back then.
Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 17:05   #4

::Nods:: Yep, H28... sorry about that.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 17:57   #5

Hmmm ........

Never one to be shy about displaying my ignorance, I would have taken an HR28 to some sort of Hallberg Rassy???
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 18:22   #6

It is indeed an Hinterhoeller, fiberglass hull.
Old 29-09-2008, 21:57   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Radar,
I think your choice is a good one. They'll handle light airs pretty well from what I understand even though they are a bit heavy for a performance boat. Heavy makes them good in a seaway so in my point of view it isn't a downside. That's just opinions of other owners I've known. I can't speak first hand because I've never sailed one.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2008, 03:45   #8

Thanks John, the prices for these boats are all over the map, 10k-45k, I am in touch with someone asking 25k, he advises everthing has been done to the boat including new sails. Deciding to buy already done or do it yourself will be the question I guess.

John