Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2006, 19:29   #1

Components of a New Boat

Today, I received the specifications for a new Caliber 47 that I’m thinking of buying for a 20-month retirement cruise that I've been planning for over a year. I'd like to know of any strong opinions that you have about the following components – positive or negative:

Autopilot: Simrad AP26 w/AC40 course computer, RC36 rate compass, LeComble & Schmitt Linear hydraulic drive, Edson bronze tiller arm

Bow Thruster: Vetus 95kg

Gen set 6kw Northern lights AC

COMNAV (Nexus) NX2 system: Server w/speed, depth, wind transducers, 2 large Multi XL displays over companionway, wind data display over companionway, multi repeater at nav station

Inverter/Charger: 2500W Xantrex Freedom 25-12, (1) Xantrex Link 1000 controller/battery monitor

Radar: Furuno 1834c/NT VX2-10.4" color radar/chart plotter w/4kw antenna, 30m antenna cable, GPS/WAAS antenna, pod at helm, Questas gimbaled mast mount, stainless sailguard

Radar: Furuno 1720c/nt VX2-7" color radar/chartplotter repeater at nav station

Refrigeration: (1) Frigoboat keel cooled compressor w/ refrigeration holding plate & Temptech digital controller & (1) Frigoboat keel cooled compressor w/ freezer wrap around evaporator plate and Temptech digital controller

SSB: Icom IC M802 w/AT-140 antenna tuner, MD-75 flush mount kit, SCS Pactor III email/weatherfaxmodem, fine isolatorm ferrite cores

VHF: ICOM IC-M502 VHF Transceiver w/ MB-75 flush mount kit, HM-127 remote mic, OPC-990 mic extension cable, Metz antenna, materials

Watermaker: Spectra Catalina 300 MPC 12 gph w/MPC300 digital control, anti growth Z Brain option

Windlass: Lofrans Project 1500

Thanks,

Fritz
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2006, 20:03   #2

Sorry

I just realized I posted this to the wrong category. I'll repost it to the proper one.

Fritz
Old 20-10-2006, 15:21   #3
Kai Nui

Fritz, If I had pockets that deep, my list would be very close to that. Very good choices. I know of no particular problems with any of those components. With the windless, I would recommend the 3/8" high tensil as I do not feel 5/16" BBB is sufficient for your size boat, but that is just my opinion. I like the Furuno radar. Top notch in my book. Almost every commercial fishing boat in our harbor uses Furuno. The ICom is a very good radio. The only thing I can not comment on is the fridgeboat system. They have a great sales pitch, and the keel cooled set up is a great idea, but I do not know anyone who has used one.
Old 20-10-2006, 17:35   #4

I'm not a fan of a keel cooled fridge.
At some point you will haul out. How do you cool the fridge on the hard. If it had an air cooled back up it would be ok.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2006, 20:07   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
The keel cooled fridges are WAY more efficient than aircooled especially in the tropics. Talked with a fellow who had added keel cooling to his frigobot frig. and no longer had to run a generator. The windmill and solar panels provided more than enough juice. That was not the case with an aircooled condensor.

I didn't see anything about chain size in the spec's. 5/16" is way small and I wouldn't even consider smaller than 250' of 3/8" ht chain. Of course, if you are going to be tied up to a dock 24/7, you could dispense with the windlass, chain, anchor and all. Essentially that's what you'd be doing with 5/16" as you wouldn't have enough weight in the catenary of the rode to keep the anchor from being jerked out or phenomonal loads on boat and chain in anything over a moderate breeze and sea conditions.

You didn't sail wardrobe or sail handling equipment??

I sure wouldn't want to be the one who had to pay to keep all those idiot lights (electronics) functioning. Boat is going to be an electronic maintenance nightmare. If boat is being bought new, the depreciation is going to tear a major size hole in 7 figures. But as old Ev. Dirksen used to say, "A million here, a million there, and pretty soon your talking real money."

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 17:06   #6

Boat: Liberty 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz
VHF: ICOM IC-M502 VHF Transceiver w/ MB-75 flush mount kit, HM-127 remote mic, OPC-990 mic extension cable, Metz antenna, materials
Fritz,

May I suggest swapping the IC-M504 for the 502 due to its much better capability of the remote mic called the CommandMic-III. One of the few remote mics on the market that has remote DSC capability.
Saildude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2006, 17:12   #7
Kai Nui

roverhi, I got the chain specs from the Lofrans site. That unit sounded small to me so I looked it up. (I have the next size down). The chain specs are 5/16" BBB or 3/8" Hi Tensil, and the windless is sized for vessels to 59'. I can speak highly of the Lofrans units, but as I said, I would stick with the 3/8 hi tensil. Not just for strngth, but for weight. I like to drop a pile of chain after I have set the anchor. The heavier the better for that purpose. Of course, on a multihull, the weight issue is slightly different, but that is another thread.
Old 23-10-2006, 09:45   #8

Thanks

Thanks for the input.

KAI NUI
I have requested 300 3/8" HT chain for my primary anchor. I'll talk to the dealer about the capability of the listed windless to handle it.

Peter O.
Thanks for your excellant explanation of the keel-cooled frig. It supports what the dealer has told me.

Regarding your question about things missing from the list, they're not missing from my list. I just don't have questions about them, so I didn't include them on the list posted to the forum.

The boat will be new, but won't cost anywhere near "7 figures."

Saildude
The dealer has spec'd a remote mic with the IC-M504. I'll talk to him about your comment. Thanks.

Fritz