Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2015, 09:51   #1

Community Opinion on IRWIN Ketch

In our quest, to find the perfect boat, both live aboard and sailing ability, I have stumbled across an IRWIN Ketch.

I though to pose this question to those here on the forum, who have the experience, your opinion.

The boat I am referring to is the IRWIN 46.

Is this boat suitable for longer passages?
Will the interior lay out be comfortable in a live aboard situation?

In advance, I thank you all for your input...
whprsnpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 14:12   #2

Boat: irwin 37 center cockpit
Re: Community Opinion on IRWIN Ketch

I have a 31ft Irwin and am looking at a 37ft Irwin center cockpit ketch in a few months. took the 31 south solo this winter, only problem I had was when a hose broke on the yanmar outside of ocean city md. the build quality is great, they're good in weather, and for their size, very roomy. (I looked at a few other 30-35ft boats, and was not that impressed.) now I plan to buy a 37ft cc in mid may (as long as it doesn't go before I can get another 15 grand behind me).
fisherman.ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 02:43   #3

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Is it English Rose per chance?

Needs a hull repaint and although looks ok, many details are not to MY standards.

Some expensive items will need review. GET A GOOD SURVEY.

Like all Irwins, it is doubtful they will sail anywhere quickly. GL and fair winds.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 13:28   #4

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

My wife and I sailed a 37' 1972 Irwin ketch for twenty years, coastal and blue water. While I don't feel that the build is as robust as some other makers in the class, for the money I think they are very good boats. The downside is of course they are out of business and unfortunately Ted passed away. When he was alive if you needed something you could call him and within a few days get a replacement part. He was a nice guy and treated his customers well. By all means if the price is right, grab it!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 09:19   #5

Boat: B24

Lived aboard an Irwin 42 ketch (the center-cockpit without the raised aft-deck) off and on for about eight years in the 1980s-90s. Hull was generally bullet-proof and seemingly unaffected by the blisters of the era… Too much “window” space (to my eye) for any high-latitude endeavors, but clearly many Irwin 42s sailed the same waters as the OI 41’s and did well for recreational sailing -- but no sea-berths… was a sweet-handling boat for nearly 15-tons… the major fly in the ointment was that most of the appliances and the electrical systems were essentially trailer-house quality and the way it was built, upgrades often required something beyond minor surgery. Did I like it, yep… nice boat if you liked to putter (not a huge issue for for under-45 live-aboards), and on a beam reach she’d hunker down and really move. Oh, handling under power was about the easiest of any single-screw boat I can recall… Irwin overall – three stars, long-range sailing quality – fours-stars, fiberglass – four stars, electrical/Galley – no stars, esthetics – I sure liked it at the time…
Old 27-03-2015, 13:57   #6
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

I have been on a few Irwins and thought that the interior design and space maximization were way ahead of the times. I have done a few rerigs on Irwins but never really spent any time going through the boats intimately. I have seen a few smaller and newer model Irwins in boat yards with hulls pressed in by the stands. My experience with most of the owners is that they love their boats. I don't know if you have read any of the reviews online. These talk about the 34,37, and 52. But general construction is discussed.

BoatUS - Boat Reviews - Irwin 37

Irwin 52

https://books.google.com/books?id=jU...tebook&f=false
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Irwin, ketch