Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2015, 05:48   #31

Boat: PSC 37
Re: Comfortable Bluewater Cruiser

I think all the production boats in the big charter fleets will feel similar. The charter companies aren't looking for boats for serious cruising, they are looking for boats they can cram lots of people into that will sail short distances then sit at anchor (or on a mooring) while people swim, eat, and drink. I agree, get on heavier boats. The charter place in Ft Myers has IPs I think, maybe try that. It's a great area for a charter. Good luck.

An Ocean Lover in Maine.
Old 15-03-2015, 06:38   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by safariKY View Post
Flash forward and a couple years older, we are still chartering and I just don't like the motion of Bavarias , and Beneteaus which is what we usually to get in Moorings charters. Anyone out there have experience with Jeaneaus? Is the motion feel the same as Benateau?
The very rough rule of thumb is - the heavier the boat is per her length the more comfortable she will be motionwise. Look up and compare the displacement of Bavarias and Beneteaus you have chartered to similar length Jeanneaus and you'll get an approximate idea. Also when at anchor or moored, if wind, tide and current are not in synch the height of the freeboard and the depth of the keel contribute to the additional motion as they act as a permanent sail above waterline while the keel counteracts as a sail below waterline. So compare these variables as well.

My boat has a relatively hefty displacement for a 36fotter - 20,000lbs, when fully loaded, but with shoal keel of only 5' its motion is much more sedate when wind, current and tide oppose each other. And I can see that from the outside just coming to her in a dinghy and comparing her mast sway and these of her neighbors of similar length.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 07:29   #33

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangann View Post
sail short distances then sit at anchor (or on a mooring) while people swim, eat, and drink.
Except for an occasional ocean crossing, pretty much sounds like cruising to me............
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, water