Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2017, 06:25   #91

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Comfort/stability of 33, 37 and 40' production boats in blue water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
For that matter, I'll try to get a pair of trained eyes for any boat (1st boat in the family), I hear even brand new boats have issues quite often - while with that "everlasting 40 years old veteran" one has to check for hidden damage...
The good thing about a 40 year old veteran boat as a first boat is that you can use it and abuse it while at the same time paying very little.

Run over a few docks, run aground a few times, drop a few winch handles overboard, drag anchor and beach it, etc all for $5,000-$20,000 while you learn what this sailing business is all about......

Plus the older boats are usually a bit more narrow so you'll get a better idea of what a straightup sailing vessel is all about
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 06:52   #92
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Comfort/stability of 33, 37 and 40' production boats in blue water?

Quote:
For that matter, I'll try to get a pair of trained eyes for any boat (1st boat in the family), I hear even brand new boats have issues quite often - while with that "everlasting 40 years old veteran" one has to check for hidden damage...
The bulk of Firsts were bought for club racing and were sailed hard then sold on.. raced hard again then sold on.. grounded and cursory inspection before the next race..
We're not talking cruisers with these.. but racer 1st, cruising further down the list.. likely they'll have 6 headsails and no furling gear..
If its an ex racer your looking for then that narrows your field considerably.. look at J boats as well.. know off several Dutch couples on the Algarve who liveaboard those..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 13:50   #93

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Wauw! after reading this thread I had to go back to the original post to check, because I was under the impression the OP was planning to cruise below the roaring 40's.

People; he's planning to cruise around the canaries, the med and the Caribbean!
Yes that does mean crossing the Atlantic at a certain point, but have you looked at the boats on the ARC the last couple of years? Regular modern design production boats are becoming the norm.
Don't forget that in those waters you do a lot of day hopping or shortish passages.

My advise: go look at a lot of boats and go for the ones that make your hart beat faster. Then research those. Meaning talk to actual owners, read owner forums, have a good look at all the hidden details, ask if you can join for a trip, etc. Then find a good surveyor when you want to actually buy.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 15:49   #94

Indeed, Canaries and the Med would be the first cruising grounds. However, I am planning longer term, and also don't want to be among the liferafties if a "1994 queen's birthday storm" finds me in the middle of an ARC.
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 15:57   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
Wauw! after reading this thread I had to go back to the original post to check, because I was under the impression the OP was planning to cruise below the roaring 40's.

People; he's planning to cruise around the canaries, the med and the Caribbean!
Yes that does mean crossing the Atlantic at a certain point, but have you looked at the boats on the ARC the last couple of years? Regular modern design production boats are becoming the norm.
Don't forget that in those waters you do a lot of day hopping or shortish passages.

My advise: go look at a lot of boats and go for the ones that make your hart beat faster. Then research those. Meaning talk to actual owners, read owner forums, have a good look at all the hidden details, ask if you can join for a trip, etc. Then find a good surveyor when you want to actually buy.
I hate it when I have hart problems!

Isn't sailing with ARC sort of like hiking the Appalachian Trail or the PCT with a tour guide?

Some sailors like to think in terms of what if I'm sailing alone 500 miles offshore and this happened. What sort of boat would I want to be sailing and would I want to prep it or would I trust the boatyard guys to do it

Also, this is the OP's first boat. He might get seasick once and sell immediately....
Old 27-02-2017, 16:03   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
He might get seasick once and sell immediately....
That case I want something that holds its value fairly
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 16:27   #97

Quote:
That case I want something that holds its value fairly
How about this one: (even if you don't like the boat the scenery is awesome)

Gladiateur 33

Tags
boat, water