Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 19:43   #31

thanks s.c will pass it on to my daughter this is a long shot but were you married to a tn man later preston
seafarer-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 21:13   #32

Boat: Columbia 8.7 Four Winds
Columbia 8.7 2 thumbs up from a captain Tim.

Jeff, Sorry about your poor experience on the Columbia 8.7. If you read the other post you'll see that you stand alone. I have sailed on mine since I was 18, of coarse it was my fathers then. I have enjoyed sailing the Four Winds on Lake Ontario and Champlain and never felt uncomfortable on her period! It has taken me through many storms and high seas with confidence. She does better in a big blow than many in her class. She heads up extremely well and like one of the other owners mentioned she tracks well and is well balanced, she practically steers herself! Vermont Sailing Partners have refitted all of her sails including an Asymmetrical Spinnaker, look for the Irish flag with the green shamrock if your ever on Champlain! I also highly recommend Vt. Sailing Partners for your sailing needs, Bill, the owner, is all Aces in my book! I have a Yanmar that sips the diesel and I have replaced the engine mounts but other that that she is the original engine and is rock solid. I replaced all the windows and had Carson Fiberglass repair a soft spot on the port deck and he recommended that we take done the mast and check under the boot where the mast sits and I'm glad he did! She is tight now and almost totally refurbished including head and the waste lines upholstery and the cushions, stove, Furlex roller furling, lines , traveler and self tailing winches, I had the bottom painted and there was no blisters to be found anywhere on her! My brother in law does a lot of regattas on the West coast, an experienced sailor and he has come out with me many times in the last 5 years and he is very impressed with the way she handles! I know this is an older boat but if you can find one that is in decent shape I say go for it! You won't be sorry unless of coarse your name is Jeff! ha ha lol Pal!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Four Winds in Burlington.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	22337   Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	22338  

Name:	018 (1).JPG
Views:	368
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	22339   Click image for larger version

Name:	the Four Winds with her new Spinnaker.jpg
Views:	1204
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	22340  

Name:	Sunset at Burlington.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	22341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seed and the Captain.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	22342  

FourWinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 09:23   #33
cruiser

I'm with Jeff on this one. They were very weird designs and there is no reason on earth for that odd stern shape.

But hell if you love your boat then that's great and I'm happy for you.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 19:24   #34

I have sailed on four winds. I think she is a fine and capable boat. Great fun to sail and comfortable below.
JollyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 08:34   #35
cruiser

Glenn Gould liked and owned several Lincoln Town Cars.
Old 30-12-2010, 19:21   #36

Bob, Have you ever been out on an Allen Payne designed Columbia 8.7 ? Honestly Bob, could you tell us your true feelings on how you feel about Allen Payne designed boats? Don't be shy or bias ! Sailing is a wonderful sport, lets try to enjoy and encourage other fellow sailors and save the, "hell I'm happy for you" stuff for someone who enjoys your sarcasm. Kelly's Heros is a great movie that I think you need to see Bob. Just to show you I'm a good sport I put a boat in my album that I think you'll enjoy viewing Bob. I was anchored at Valcour when I took the photo. Do you recognize the boat I speak of sir Bob? I'm glad that you happy for me, thanks for being their and thanks for caring! Ha Ha Ha lol Bob
Old 31-12-2010, 08:15   #37
cruiser

My you sound a bit cranky. It's just a boat.
Alan Payne was a very good designer and I like some of his designs.
I think I'll skip your album.
Old 01-01-2011, 15:20   #38

Not to me Bob, she has been part of my life for over 30 years! She's part of the family and we love her. Sorry I was a bit cranky, best to you and yours in 2011 Sir Robert! I admire your work.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:18   #39
cruiser

Four:
Same to you. I understand how people can get passionate about their boats. No apology necessary
Old 12-03-2012, 18:51   #40

Boat: 8.7 Columbia
Re: Columbia 8.7

I bought my 1977 8.7 last July in Edgewater MD and sailed home here to Norfolk, VA. While we had quite the time bringing her home, we made it just the same. We weathered 4 storms in our 3 day cruise. One storm so bad I thought we were going to lose her to the bay. A little choppy at times but a fairly nice sail over all. A broad reach seems to be a friend of the 8.7. I have only been sailing for a little over two years and my experience comes no where near some of you, but I like this vessel and even lived on it for 6 months with no problems at all.
Like some of the others, I, too, have port light issues and I believe a leak coming from the mast that I just cant seem to find. A good vessel just the same and I only paid a little over $2000.00.

Sailboatsrock...for a reason
Sailboats Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 14:05   #41

Columbia 8.7 Lights

I have a "new to me" Columbia 8.7 that is currently undergoing its first spring commissioning under my ownership. The mast was dropped for the winter, so while I can get at it to change light bulbs (without having to use a bosun's chair), I thought I would replace the masthead anchor light, steaming light, and foredeck work light. Since I don't know when the previous owner last changed those lights, I thought this would be a good preventative measure.

A quick trip to my friendly neighborhood West Marine store has left me scratching my head. Each bulb (and all three are different) comes with a choice of two or three different amperages. I haven't a clue.

So I'm hoping some of you Columbia 8.7 pros out there might be able to steer me in the right direction. (No manual came with the boat, but I just ordered one from LuLu.)

Fair winds,
Phil Fry
Toledo, Ohio
Columbia 8.7 - Hull # 7180
SailingGuy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 19:39   #42

Boat: Columbia 10.7. 35’
Re: Columbia 8.7

Go with LED's... But there are better sources than West Marine.

Tags
columbia