Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2018, 18:02   #1

Columbia 45

Hi I'm new here , well been away awhile
I'm looking at a 1974 Columbia 45 yacht that is for sale , it's had the ply keel support inside removed and steel floors put in , plus glassing the keel to hull and a bottom job , has a new 50hp nanni diesel, which is a bit small for a 13 ton boat but happy that's it's new . What are the general thoughts of this type of yacht for full time live aboard, the accomadation looks great , but my previous yacht was full pilothouse which I like for my area of ops , ie s/e Australia , any thoughts out there
eikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 20:42   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Columbia 45

Hi eikon! Welcome back! By my standards that boat is a very roomy liveaboard, but I am used to some pretty small spaces. It sounds like like the previous owner may have made some good upgrades there. Try contacting this Yahoo group:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...ingyachts/info

There is a couple there who refitted a C45 in Seattle, Washington then sailed down the coast to Mexico and now they are in Hawaii. They are very happy with the boat.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 20:49   #3

Thanks for the reply , on reading further it seems that the keel bolts first go through the fibreglass hull then the ply then more fibreglass then the steel so how would the ply have been removed if rotten or do they not rot ? But I read somewhere that some had problems with the ply rotting due to water in the bilge
eikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 22:32   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikon View Post
Thanks for the reply , on reading further it seems that the keel bolts first go through the fibreglass hull then the ply then more fibreglass then the steel so how would the ply have been removed if rotten or do they not rot ? But I read somewhere that some had problems with the ply rotting due to water in the bilge
I am not aware of there being plywood in there (is that the ply you are referring to?) I believe that the Columbia 39, or was it the 40, had a steel frame in the bilge. Well, in any case, I am confident they can help you over at that group. There is at least that one active member there with the C43 (Sorry I got it wrong, I thought you meant the C43 originally, but the C45 and C43 have the same hull I believe) who regularly posts there.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia