Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2010, 18:29   #1

Columbia 39

hi

what is the "achilles knee" of these boat. In survey what are the main things you have to take care. What kind of boats they are in common. On markets some for sale price is not so bad

thanks
heikkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 19:13   #2

Boat: columbia 28,Kokopelli
well ,I have a columbia 28, back in the day .. the space between the cabin top and the liner was covered in END GRAIN BALSAWOOD, which is fine until the day water leaks onto it from some mysterious place...as in chainplates or stancion post, or any number of places, since it sits outside for years and years, now,, this causes soft spots you feel when you walk on the decks,,thus the radical markdowns,,,on my starboard bow there has been a soft spot for 10 years, I weigh 300 pounds and it is not even a concern,just a bit spongy,,,the fix is relatily easy, if you have the overwhelming desire to fix it... i do not,,,this is how I see it,,,
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 19:17   #3

PS,,boats built back in the late 60's and up into 1981, were overbuilt, As the new Fiberglass tensile strength was not known, so thicker was better, but boats after 1981 were ...because of the so called OIL CRISIS...materials for construction went up exponentially...thus thinner hulls were to become the norm....
Old 17-10-2010, 19:45   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
was not merely the oil crisis--was also and mainly the environmental protection agency and their rulings and laws of that era-- forced a change in the ways of boat building--it was kinda toxic--and reduced the quality of product, and allegedly made it safer to work in the boat building yards..
boats in the 60s were HAND LAID in th e80s, chopper gun work was accepted., whereas, prior to that , was not used. gel coat in 60s was hand painted into the mold. in mid 70s was sprayed and was a different compound-- so was a new problem unknown before. blisters. between the spraying of th gelcoat, making it now a permeable layer instead of a nonpermeable hand painted layer, and the use of chopperguns and mat, there grew the introduction of the blistering of hulls from osmosis of salt water into the mat an d choppergun material..but he old ways caused liver damage and brain damage in builders.. go figger.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 19:52   #5

i am sure the early days boat yards were probably nasty,,ever been to a old established old world mechanics shop... oil soaked floors and yard....oh yeah...tasty
Old 04-12-2016, 06:10   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Draco
Post Re: Columbia 39

For Sale: Columbia 39, 1972.
This is a blue water cruiser and spacious live aboard. The layout includes forward V-berth, two starboard bunks and a convertible double berth dinette with new soft furnishings. The galley is well suited for cruising and includes a gimbled three burner gas stove with oven, double deep sinks, ample cabinetry/storage and top load 12volt refrigeration.Asking Price: 25000 GBP
For more information and photos please email me: finikeyachting at gmail

https://youtu.be/rFgn4mElH_8
finikeyachting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia