Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2018, 10:56   #196

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Re: Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
make your own . They are easy to make.
Yeah doesn't look like much sewing and I still have one of my big table industrial machines so should take long.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:41   #197

I finally posted the article I wrote for Good Old Boat magazine on my blog. I forgot I had the right to do so! It covers the refit of Tranquility from day one. It's a long read, but I thought that it may be of interest in this thread:

Transforming a beaten up Columbia 29 into a seaworthy liveaboard sailboat – La possibilità di un'isola
Columbia29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:52   #198

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia29 View Post
I finally posted the article I wrote for Good Old Boat magazine on my blog. I forgot I had the right to do so! It covers the refit of Tranquility from day one. It's a long read, but I thought that it may be of interest in this thread:

Transforming a beaten up Columbia 29 into a seaworthy liveaboard sailboat – La possibilità di un'isola
Great stuff Fabio!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:10   #199

Quote:

Thanks so much, I will read this tonight. Are you guys going to make it through the canal? I know there was some concern about being able to motor fast enough with the electric. If you make it through and end up in the Pacific are you heading south or coming up to the West Coast? If you guys make it to CA let me know, would love to say hello. Also will be down in the South Pacific later this year if you make it that way too.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:28   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
Thanks so much, I will read this tonight. Are you guys going to make it through the canal? I know there was some concern about being able to motor fast enough with the electric. If you make it through and end up in the Pacific are you heading south or coming up to the West Coast? If you guys make it to CA let me know, would love to say hello. Also will be down in the South Pacific later this year if you make it that way too.

The idea is doing the Canal in October. We will try with an outboard on a bracket, or ask the partner boat to stay attached all the way through. The thing that worries me the most is not propulsion, but the fact that I have to host, feed and potentially find a place to sleep to 3 extra crew other than me and my wife, plus the advisor who does not sleep onboard but for sure needs some food... This will really test the capability of the Columbia 29!

Probably not coming up North but we will see!
Old 12-06-2018, 13:02   #201

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
The idea is doing the Canal in October. We will try with an outboard on a bracket, or ask the partner boat to stay attached all the way through. The thing that worries me the most is not propulsion, but the fact that I have to host, feed and potentially find a place to sleep to 3 extra crew other than me and my wife, plus the advisor who does not sleep onboard but for sure needs some food... This will really test the capability of the Columbia 29!

Well, there's the foredeck and cockpit fellas, which would you like? Yeah you'll really need to ply them with a feast of delicacies to keep them happy! Hope they're not too tall.
Can't wait to hear how it turns out!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 16:58   #202

Quote:

Wow that is a lot of extra people to sleep and mouths to feed. Doesn't seem as if its set up for smaller cruising boats at all to be certain. Not sure how the post service is down there but you might need to shop costco.com hahaha.

I will keep you all in my prayers that all goes according to plan. Making the canal crossing does sound like fun if a bit trying at times.
Old 12-06-2018, 17:05   #203
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Wow that is a lot of extra people to sleep and mouths to feed. Doesn't seem as if its set up for smaller cruising boats at all to be certain. Not sure how the post service is down there but you might need to shop costco.com hahaha.

I will keep you all in my prayers that all goes according to plan. Making the canal crossing does sound like fun if a bit trying at times.
its only for one night so not a big deal .
Try to get other sailors that are waiting to go to serve as line handlers andp d just pay their bus fare back to their boats. You should actually do this for one trip if you have never done the ditch before. Gives you an idea of what to expect on the crossing.
Old 12-06-2018, 17:20   #204

Quote:
Try to get other sailors that are waiting to go to serve as line handlers andp d just pay their bus fare back to their boats. You should actually do this for one trip if you have never done the ditch before. Gives you an idea of what to expect on the crossing.
Well one night isn't bad, I was thinking it was a few day to transit the canal. If it wasn't so far I might like to do that sometime. I did look up tickets just for fun though, about 500 a person round trip from LAX which isn't awful but not cheap.
Old 12-06-2018, 17:33   #205
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Well one night isn't bad, I was thinking it was a few day to transit the canal. If it wasn't so far I might like to do that sometime. I did look up tickets just for fun though, about 500 a person round trip from LAX which isn't awful but not cheap.
just cruise on down to Avalon and hire out to help with north crossing and then do a south one back to your boat then sail on th Fiji.
Old 12-06-2018, 18:38   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well, there's the foredeck and cockpit fellas, which would you like? Yeah you'll really need to ply them with a feast of delicacies to keep them happy! Hope they're not too tall.
Can't wait to hear how it turns out!

Problem will be rain. October is pretty rainy down here for sure we will need an ample tarp to keep everybody dry
Old 12-06-2018, 18:45   #207

Quote:

Thanks!
We tried as line handlers for a friend. It is fun, but mostly trying. The advisor told me that they keep it open for small vessels because they have to guarantee the service, but in reality they are losing money on a small yacht. A loss probably covered by how much more they charge the big ships to go through.
I'll keep you posted.
Old 12-06-2018, 18:51   #208

Quote:

Yes, we did help a friend southbound, on a 40 footer. Sure we will gather somebody on the hippiesh side to take a Columbia 29 across, from the anchorages here in Costa Arriba. I've heard that even smaller boats did it, so I should not complain.

Let's see, it's too far now to really think about it!
Old 18-06-2018, 04:48   #209

Don and Crew,

Found a sweet table set up, I think this will be more practical than a center mounted dual leaf table.

https://www.rv-table-mount.com/produ...ounting-system

https://www.svb24.com/en/roca-foldab...-tabletop.html
Old 09-08-2018, 10:08   #210

well, got in the new tinted beckson lenses, got the mast down and ready to strip. Any suggestions on good paint for the mast?

Working on the frame for the OceanAire screen for the lewmar 60. Photos to come later today.

Tags
columbia, refit