Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 00:59   #1

Columbia 28 Topping Lift?

Does anyone know, is this boat suppose to have a topping lift?

When I sail, the boom sags down quite a bit, even with the main fully raised. The boat does have a very small piece of wire with hook that attached to the back stay that hooks onto the end of the boom to stop it from falling to the deck when not sailing.

I'm thinking of attaching the main halyard to the end of the boom after raising the main.

Thanks
tcul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Columbia 28 topping lift?

? ➥ Columbia 28 Specifications

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:07   #3

Boat: Columbia 24

tcul, it sounds like you're asking if you could use a topping lift or the halyard to lift the boom while you're sailing? Wouldn't that deform the shape of your sail? Does the boom sweep too low across the cockpit when tacking or jibing? If that is the issue, then you might want to consider having a loft shorten the leach of the sail by a few inches.
Eumelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:35   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Ahhh, how do you propose to use the halyard as a topping lift while the sail is hoisted? Seems like it would be in use holding up the sail!

But it is not difficult to rig a separate lift... most masthead boxes have enough sheaves to allow this with no additional hardware, just some line and perhaps a cleat.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 02-08-2013, 08:37   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcul View Post
Does anyone know, is this boat suppose to have a topping lift?

When I sail, the boom sags down quite a bit, even with the main fully raised. The boat does have a very small piece of wire with hook that attached to the back stay that hooks onto the end of the boom to stop it from falling to the deck when not sailing.

I'm thinking of attaching the main halyard to the end of the boom after raising the main.

Thanks
That's all that small piece of wire is supposed to do, support the end of the boom to stop it from falling to the deck when not sailing.You do NOT want it attached when sailing.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:03   #6

The boom slants downward as you move aftward, rather than moving straight out and level at a 90 deg angle. When jibbing/tacking, the boom does seem swing too low over the cockpit.

I'm beginning to think the problem is where the boom attaches to the mast. I was on the boat today and noticed when you raise the main, the boom moves up along the mast a certain distance on a track. Maybe it's not attached right and should be stationary in one position. The boom does bounce downward some when sailing.

I'll try to find a rigger to look at it.

Thanks all!
Old 03-08-2013, 03:00   #7

Two Words
Boom
Vang
You should not be able to pull the main sail to the top of the mast. The little piece of wire also connects to the bottom of the mast. When raising the Main Sail it should be taut enough to show vertical lufts in the sail next to the mast.
lizardpicasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:15   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcul View Post
...................................... noticed when you raise the main, the boom moves up along the mast a certain distance on a track. ...................................
There should be a "downhaul" line attached to the bottom of the boom at the gooseneck to counter the movement of the boom up this track. This downhaul is likely secured to a cleat under the boom on the mast.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:33   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, lizardpicasso.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:58   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Columbia 28 Topping Lift?

Most boats I've owned have had an adjustable boom... basically the gooseneck slots into a slide on the mast allowing you to raise and lower it at the mast... its then locked in place with either a spring loaded pin or a wing screw into dedicated holes.
If your boom is sagging that much past the horizontal either the sails old and stretched right out.. or its secondhand from another boat.. If theres no spare sheave at the top to run a topping lift line down the mast its very likely theres some where you can attach a shackle up there to run a line to the end of the boom where a two block set up will allow you to adjust the boom height from the cockpit....
I do use the topping lift under sail personally.... running downwind and boomed out I like to use it to give the sail some 'belly'...
But that's me... others likely know better.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:22   #11

Re: Columbia 28 Topping Lift?

Yes the mainsail is pretty old and stretched out. So that's probably it.

What kind of "two block set up" at the end of the boom?

Thanks
Old 04-08-2013, 02:57   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Usually a line from the masthead ending with an eye and small single block that's a couple of feet short of keeping the boom horizontal... the other block attaches to the end off the boom and you connect the two with another short line that you can slacken or take in and either jam (posh way) or just tie off if your a cheapskate like me...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:57   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I'll match Boatman for the "Cheapskate" title. My topping lift adjustment is accomplished by drilling a hole through the middle of a plastic yo-yo.

Sailboat hardware doesn't always have to be expensive materials. The yo-yo half is like a button slipped into a button hole and you can place a "button-hole" made out of a loop of small stuff at any adjustment location you please. Here it's left on a stay while at the dock, but you can loop it back to itself while underway or let it drop to it's full length as the yo-yo stops at the eye when released.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:32   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I'll match Boatman for the "Cheapskate" title. My topping lift adjustment is accomplished by drilling a hole through the middle of a plastic yo-yo.

Sailboat hardware doesn't always have to be expensive materials. The yo-yo half is like a button slipped into a button hole and you can place a "button-hole" made out of a loop of small stuff at any adjustment location you please. Here it's left on a stay while at the dock, but you can loop it back to itself while underway or let it drop to it's full length as the yo-yo stops at the eye when released.
LOLOL..... Brilliant..

Old 04-08-2013, 13:41   #15

Thanks guys, great info!

Tags
columbia, lift