Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2018, 11:08   #1
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Columbia 26, as opposed to 29' ?

With regard to my requirements, generally getting formulated here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-193354.html

The Columbia 29s are near the top of my preference list, lots of kudos from Don and Newhaul.

Recently a Columbia 26 has appeared on CL near me, 1969 MkII version, nearly free.

https://providence.craigslist.org/bo...556093466.html

I'm so far from ready to begin to think about even considering actually shopping, it's just not funny.

But I might just go have a look, it's maybe a 3 hour drive.

Most important priority will be ability to upfit for offshore passages, not planning to circumnavigate but want a boat with good structural integrity, capable of equipping for that usage maybe one day. Seakindly motion, stability when the sea state gets rough.

Being able to easily drop the mast alone will also be important.

Fin keels & spade rudders, I've heard no good compared to full keel / skeg hung?

I assume even though the same 8'6" beam, the 3' less LOA means a bit slower, and a bit more cramped inside, right?

Certainly less headroom than the what, 6'3" of the Defender variant?

I would get a surveyor if actually serious, but suggestions on what to look for, how to approach the seller would be appreciated, I'm a complete noob in that arena.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 15:33   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Columbia 26, as opposed to 29' ?

The 26 Mk2 is a different creature altogether from the C29. It has the bolt on fin keel and spade rudder and was meant for weekend racing than coastal cruising I believe; I haven't sailed one though I've seen their insides. Very roomy. We have a member here, I think Roverhi who had one in Hawaii and I believe he said he sailed it so much and so hard around the islands he finally busted the tabbing on the bulkheads loose! As I recall he described something squirrely about their handling that would make them less desirable for coastal cruising or long distance. Nothing about that particular design appealed to my particular tastes, but I have heard of owners who really love them.
here's the thread I was thinking of:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ns-168862.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 16:13   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

If you are still having trouble deciding on a good strong inexpensive plastic classic sailboat, you may want to checkout the Atom Voyages Website.

Not only does he have a listing of Good Old Boats that do well offshore, he explains why they are on there.

Also, he (James Baldwin) has a trailer for his boat Atom which he has sailed around the World twice on.

Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 16:16   #4
cruiser

> here's the thread I was thinking of: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ns-168862.html

Thanks Don, I'm so relieved 8-)

Actually if I were ready to get out there Now just to do some sailing the thread sure makes it seem like a great bet for the money.

But definitely not "the one" for my long term plan, which for now I'll try to stick to.
Old 15-04-2018, 16:20   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
If you are still having trouble deciding on a good strong inexpensive plastic classic sailboat, you may want to checkout the Atom Voyages Website.

Not only does he have a listing of Good Old Boats that do well offshore, he explains why they are on there.

Also, he (James Baldwin) has a trailer for his boat Atom which he has sailed around the World twice on.

Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List
Yes in my thread referenced above, lots of excellent suggestions including that, and I've had a good start on parsing the site.

This thread is just for those two boats, anyone wanting to discuss the more general topic, please post there, ideally after at least scanning it

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-193354.html

Thanks!
Old 15-04-2018, 16:33   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

My first boat was a new Columbia 26 mark II, 1969 variety. Did not come away with a lot of love for the boat but I did sail the crap out of it. Worst thing was uncontrolled roundups. When hit by a gust with main up, boat would heel over requiring max rudder deflection to counteract the weather helm, then the rudder would stall and it would do an uncontrolled roundup. Nearly 'T' boned a gold plater I was checking out off Waikiki. Was afraid to sail the boat near other boats or obstacles with the main up. Usually could keep the boat under control sailing with just the headsail which is how I usually sailed it. Granted we are talking the gusty conditions off Honolulu which regularly had sudden wind increases of 10k or more from the mountains but no boat should go out of control as wildly as the C26 Mk II.

In steady wind conditions the boat had no directional stability. Let go the tiller and the boat was going to change direction right now. Fortunately it was almost alway to windward

The boat pounded badly and oil canned going to weather in the channels between the islands. After 2 years of sailing and more than 4 trips across the Molokai Cannel, the forward bulkhead had broken loose. Granted I sailed the crap out of the boat. Went out every Saturday and Sunday I didn't have the duty for the two years I was stationed in Honolulu, and sailed it between the Islands in some pretty severe channel conditions.

One thing the C26 Mk II has is a lot of interior room. Possibly the roomiest 26 footer that's affordable. Split my residence in paradise between the Columbia and a VW Camper Van. Only way I could afford to own the boat on a JG's pay.

Last year when I was looking for an under 30' boat to fit in my slip at Oceanside Harbor, nearly bought a Columbia 29. Did a short sail in and was impressed by how well the boat sailed and certainly by it's looks. Didn't buy it because of the original Palmer Gas engine which was cranky and afraid I'd be in for big bucks engine replacement it in short order. Looked for another one on the west coast but none turned up in the time i had to fill the slip. Bought a Sabre 28 which I'm very happy with.

a
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 16:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes in my thread referenced above, lots of excellent suggestions including that, and I've had a good start on parsing the site.

This thread is just for those two boats, anyone wanting to discuss the more general topic, please post there, ideally after at least scanning it

Thanks!
Looks like it has 226 posts.......that's quite a scan!

One good way to at least have an idea of the boat you may want is to sail some.

These old full keel boats simply will not point so depending on the type of sailing you be doing that should be a consideration
Old 15-04-2018, 17:17   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Plenty of room in the C-26.2 but directional stability problems as Roverhi indicated.
Flat deck is very nice to work on and go forward on.
Also, do you have a vehicle that can pull 10k+ with trailer and gear?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2018, 18:07   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Mostly total BS. Some full keel boats aren't as close winded as their fin keel breathren but a lot of them that were built to race like the Columbria 29 will point just has high as a typical fin keel boat. They may suffer in overall performance in light air because of the increased wetted surface but they will go to weather. Granted full keel boats designed for cruising won't be as close winded as a cruiser/racer fin keeler but it's mainly racers who live or die by how high they can point. Pointing ability is a much over rated trait perpetuated by the racers because they usually have a hard on the wind leg in every race. The rest of us could most often could care less if we can point a dew degrees higher than another boat. For open ocean cruisers, reaching speed, comfort and weight carrying ability is what really matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Looks like it has 226 posts.......that's quite a scan!

These old full keel boats simply will not point so depending on the type of sailing you be doing that should be a consideration
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 06:50   #10
cruiser

Similar thread wrt comparing Columbia 28 to the 29

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=200051
Old 16-04-2018, 07:06   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Mostly total BS. Some full keel boats aren't as close winded as their fin keel breathren but a lot of them that were built to race like the Columbria 29 will point just has high as a typical fin keel boat. They may suffer in overall performance in light air because of the increased wetted surface but they will go to weather. Granted full keel boats designed for cruising won't be as close winded as a cruiser/racer fin keeler but it's mainly racers who live or die by how high they can point. Pointing ability is a much over rated trait perpetuated by the racers because they usually have a hard on the wind leg in every race. The rest of us could most often could care less if we can point a dew degrees higher than another boat. For open ocean cruisers, reaching speed, comfort and weight carrying ability is what really matters.
Well, I was a racer first (15 years and 4 boats) and my last beach cat (a Nacra F-17) would point close to 30 degrees off the wind on the upwind leg.

The first leg off a buoy race is usually upwind so pointing ability is critical.

I'm new to cruising (7 years and one boat) and cruising boats, but one thing I have learned for sure with my Full Keel Bristol 27 and it's 19.75' LWL is that it won't point worth a crap.

Sometimes on the 20 mile trip back across the bay which is usually a beat to windward, I'll sail to the side of the bay the wind is rotating to before I tack even though it's a longer distance because I will still get home faster.

It's either that or run my 5 hp outboard at 1/3rd throttle and motorsail with the main alone which gets me maybe 10-15 degrees closer to the wind
Old 16-04-2018, 07:19   #12
cruiser

Please let's keep the thread OT, comparing these specific two boats with reference to my stated priorities.

To discuss my needs in general, please post to this thread, ideally after at least scanning the earlier pages.

Personally I'm not giving much weight to pointing ability as a priority.
Old 16-04-2018, 07:54   #13

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Please let's keep the thread OT, comparing these specific two boats with reference to my stated priorities.

To discuss my needs in general, please post to this thread, ideally after at least scanning the earlier pages.

Personally I'm not giving much weight to pointing ability as a priority.
What do you mean by OT?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 08:05   #14

He probably means " On Topic."

As far pointing ability, most don't really care about it until they need it in a certain situation.........which for cruisers is probably trying to sail off a lee shore

or to get home on a Sunday if you are a weekend warrior/vacation sailor needing to get home for work
Old 16-04-2018, 09:28   #15

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
...Most important priority will be ability to upfit for offshore passages, not planning to circumnavigate but want a boat with good structural integrity, capable of equipping for that usage maybe one day. Seakindly motion, stability when the sea state gets rough. Being able to easily drop the mast alone will also be important. Fin keels & spade rudders, I've heard no good compared to full keel / skeg hung? I assume even though the same 8'6" beam, the 3' less LOA means a bit slower, and a bit more cramped inside, right? Certainly less headroom than the what, 6'3" of the Defender variant? I would get a surveyor if actually serious, but suggestions on what to look for, how to approach the seller would be appreciated, I'm a complete noob in that arena.
Hi! One thing I really don't like about the Columbia 26 for offshore passages is the hung rudder with no protection whatsoever. I would rather go for the Columbia 29 if it's the one as on the attached picture. PS: I'm 71 & an offshore singlehandling sailor; I'm sailing my 5th sailboat (Last 3 purchased second hand in the US)& I'm sure that in your region, you can find dozens of offshore compatible sailboats with a budget under $10K. I would replace the standing rigging, have the engine overhauled, get a good second hand selfsteering gear (Aries, Hydrovane etc)... and a chicken** Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Columbia-26.jpg
Views:	929
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	168216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Columbia-29.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	168217  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags