Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2018, 12:50   #16

Boat: KP 46
Re: Columbia 26, as opposed to 29' ?

FWIW I had a 1969 Tripp designed Columbia 26. My first boat, I sailed her all over the west coast of Florida, the Keys, and the Bahamas. No engine so she really taught me to sail. I had a French Vane on her that worked pretty good, a 12 v battery and a HF receiver.

I found mast rake was really important to balancing the boat, when I first got her she would wander all over, but I loosened the head stay and tightened the back stay and she balanced right out. I had a chute made for her which I used quite a bit, and had two hank on headsails. I friend put her aground and in towing her off he bent the rudder post, but I pulled it out (in the water) and had a welder straighten it and never had any further problems with it.

Only problems I found was that when loading her with provisions for the Bahamas she was down about 6 inches on her waterline, but she sailed well and I would tack up many narrow channels with her and she was quick and easy for one person to handle. I kept her at Burnt Store for a while and that was a narrow little channel getting in but she did fine. Also the forward hatch was large so it needed an upgrade of latches rather than the hook and eye she came with before I took her offshore. Had a cavernous area under the cockpit which I put water tanks into and still had a bunch of room.

Good boat actually. Good luck with your decision.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia