Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 18:10   #31

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: College Grad Looking for Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitulina View Post
Well by that metric I think I would qualify, I would be very interested in doing something like this. My dads good friend is a skipper, delivering boats on the east coast to and from the Carribean. I will get in touch with him and ask to accompany him on a passage to get some long-haul experience.

Something that hadn't occurred to me, thank you!
Perfect!
BTW I have good friend I grew up with who has a Freya 39 he sailed from the West Coast down around the South Pacific and back. That is a very good all around design too; it might be out of your price range though, but you never know. Oh, it is also good to get a boat that is already well-equipped. If you buy a good boat and then have to buy all the stuff for it too, it will be expensive.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 19:55   #32

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You don't get to pick the boat. The boat picks you.

I suggest a Pearson 35. But what will you do with the other $45,000 ?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 20:03   #33

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
My advice to you is to get out sooner rather than later and start sailing, start building that fund of knowledge and experience...
Knowledge and experience are more valuable than dollars.

I sailed across the Atlantic Ocean, and it didn't cost me a penny. How could it? There are no stores out there mid-ocean!

If you want to sail around the world, stop thinking about what you will buy, and start investing in yourself. Its not about the boat, its about the sailing.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 21:48   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Perfect!
BTW I have good friend I grew up with who has a Freya 39 he sailed from the West Coast down around the South Pacific and back. That is a very good all around design too; it might be out of your price range though, but you never know. Oh, it is also good to get a boat that is already well-equipped. If you buy a good boat and then have to buy all the stuff for it too, it will be expensive.
Thanks again for the helpful and friendly advice Don, I will look into the Freya.

That was one of my main interests, the idea of purchasing a boat on the cheap but having to equip more, or spending more up front and having less to fit post-purchase. I have seen arguments for both, as spending more on outfitting allows you to tailor everything to your needs, but buying a pre-equipped boat can mean less headache and likely save money long term.

I have already gotten in touch with my dad's friend on the east coast. I am doing an internship this summer, but hopefully next summer or during a school break this coming year I will be able to do a passage with him. The company he works with sails boats in the 33-50ft range between the BVI's, Bermuda and the Northeast US, passages normally take 6-10 days. Almost too good to be true!

I didn't even realize I had this perfect opportunity right in front of my face before you mentioned that. I will be sure to post updates when the time comes! Much appreciated, cheers!
Vitulina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:50   #35

Boat: a sailing boat

Freya 39 is a sweet banana boat. Not easy to find though and possibly more expensive than what the OP may want right now.

I have never sailed one but all you can read about them says seaworthy, spacious, fast and simple. All one wants.

I browsed some and found one at 65k in Berkley, Cal.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser