Sorry to be a bit slow replying to thread but I am travelling for work and don't have regular internet
When we bought Bacardi she had a Perkins
4107 that faced towards the stern. The gear
box drove through a V drive and out through the lowest part of the bilge
. The shaft was joined but universal joints that made a heck of a clatter noise
. The other problem was any oil
that leaked finished up in that part of the bilge
and softened the rubber on the stern gland. There was always oil
leaking from the Perkins
I believe this arrangement was to get the weight of the engine further back. The prop was a small folding prop and the shaft hung from a P bracket. Adequate for getting on and off moorings but it was like steering
a grand piano astern.
After we almost sank in Pittwater when the stern gland rubber came off, I decided to bite the bullet and turn the engine round and take the shaft out through the original stern tube which had been plugged. Fit a 3 bladed fixed prop in the aperture cut in the skeg in front of the rudder
. This turned out to be a very expensive exercise. Handling was much better and she turned almost in her own length using the paddle wheel
effect of the prop. We lost
about 11/2 knots sailing though.
A few years later the gear
box died. We had to remove the engine to get to the gear box so I decided to invest in a new Nanni 43hp, with new shaft and Hydralign self feathering prop. Another expensive exercise. Well worth it though. The only draw back though is if we had to remove the shaft when it got bent after picking up a fish
trap. This entailed lifting the engine.