Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2016, 14:20   #31

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Re: Cockpits like Amel Super Maramu

Well done!
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 14:21   #32

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabarzini View Post
I don't care if you don't like it. I love it. I'm looking for other boats that might have a similar configuration, not someone telling me my preference is wrong.
by all means, do get out of the weather. sheesh.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 18:13   #33

Boat: Tartan 40

Oops, back to topic. Somehow I always liked the Amel steering station from pics but never have tried out. On my old boat best thing I did was convert to tiller so I could steer from under dodger. All instruments up there on bulkhead or on pod under dodger. Dry and warm in the nasty stuff.
But I like to be able to steer from leeward or windward side so helm offset would really bother me. Just like on many cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 18:17   #34

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
I really like how the Amel has a comfortable and protected hard dodger. The captain and instruments are nicely protected from all the elements, including rain, wind, and sun. You can always go into an open area for sun, but you can't always escape unless you leave up a dodger-connector-bimini combo. This cockpit has the advantage of a nice seat that allows the captain to see over the bow, easy to read instruments, and as protected as you want especially in weather.

The Amel is awesome, but I'm not sure I want a 53' boat, there isn't much in the 40' range; I think they now only make 55' and 64' boats. The Atlantis 400 looks worth investigating. I am currently on a Jeanneau Sun-Odyssey 40.3 with dual wheels and it is very nice too. I prefer something made after the year 2000, so that eliminates some of the older models.

Catamarans are definitely still an option too.
If you like boats of the Amel quality, Hallberg Rassy is another good choice.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 19:20   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Definitely not.

However, here is a piccy of Ours with its full cockpit covers in place...

Nice boat. Thanks for the piccy. That custom rear arch must have cost you a pretty penny. Well done, yet I would have maybe designed it to point more vertical, or maybe arching a tad forward to allow the solar panels to make a nice sunshade over the aft deck. Speaking of cool custom stuff, what's with your rear bumper? What's it made of, and how did you attach it to the hull? Seems like a cool idea (if quickly removable) for backing into slips or drunken tropical dinghy hijinks.

Back on topic, although Super Maramus are well designed for blue-water excursions, I gravitate towards Kenomac's opinion regarding the lack of need these days of having a forward helm under a dodger. Moreover, I personally don't care for the look and ergonomics. Probably great boats, but there are many aspects of the Amel SMs that just "put me off"; e.g., overall lines of the boat (stern to bow) and the basic interior layout (galley, head, nav station, and cabin designs). Just not my cup 'o tea.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 19:57   #36

Yes the Hallberg Rassy's are very nice boats, but they don't have the protected wheel and are a bit difficult to get in the US.

I suppose at a minimum you could always make a nice custom hard top dodger and "drive" with the autopilot control unit.

I'm not concerned about when things are going fine, but when things go bad, they can go exponentially bad on a boat. I don't think I would want to be in the back of the boat unprotected and shouting, if I could be dry, protected, and just speaking normally to manage things.
lindabarzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 20:44   #37

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
I'm not concerned about when things are going fine, but when things go bad, they can go exponentially bad on a boat. I don't think I would want to be in the back of the boat unprotected and shouting, if I could be dry, protected, and just speaking normally to manage things.
We have a centre cockpit, hard dodger with canvas behind us. I tell you its very nice in Force 9 at night, no visibility, no auto-pilot to be on the wheel with your face close to the instruments.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 20:55   #38

Quote:
Yes the Hallberg Rassy's are very nice boats, but they don't have the protected wheel and are a bit difficult to get in the US.

I suppose at a minimum you could always make a nice custom hard top dodger and "drive" with the autopilot control unit.

I have no idea of your price range or the amount of custom work you're up to. So take what I say lightly. My older HR was a pre hard dodger. It did however come with the windshield and I made my own hardtop. My HR is hydraulic steering. My wheel is in the cockpit and not a great place for it, on a smaller vessel. Some of the other 35's had the wheel and hydraulic pump, as an option on the bulkhead by the companionway. one of the advantages of hydraulic steering is you can mount the pump head virtually anywhere and run hydraulic lines accordingly. So any boat with hydraulic steering can get this. h
Just a thought.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...dedSelected=-1
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 06-06-2016, 22:09   #39

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

You don't really have to settle on a limited range of designs to get good weather protection. Center cockpit or aft, no matter. Wheel position not such a big deal as long as you can get to it very quickly from below deck (no climbing over stuff) and you definitely want your key instrumentation right at the helm.

For the original question, I believe what matters is protection from elements, and they do come at you from *all* directions. I absolutely hate being cold and wet, so we may have the cockpit almost fully enclosed when weather sucks either upwind or down, and fully open when it's hot outside. You only get that with canvas and plastic. Replace every 10 years but well worth the expense.

I did have a couple windows in the top to see the mainsail, but they don't give great visibility even when new. I find that for cruising sailtrim (not racing) it's just fine to use the feel of the boat and the many audio clues to know if we're trimmed OK. All right, I do cheat now and then if I hear or feel something I can't identify, and I'll stick my sensitive little head out in the elements to take a peek.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 00:13   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

The interesting skeg vs spade discussion has been moved into a new thread, here:

Skeg or Spade? - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:09   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
We have a centre cockpit, hard dodger with canvas behind us. I tell you its very nice in Force 9 at night, no visibility, no auto-pilot to be on the wheel with your face close to the instruments.
Same general config... ditto on all comments.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:15   #42

Quote:

We almost bought a HR... but price/quality made an Amel a no brainer.

No teak was a good to not have aboard = no headache and hole in wallet.. no yearly cleaning etc.

Boats are highly personal but being in a bona fide F8 last week we were very pleased to be dry with GF sleeping on the lee bench. YEP the lateral benches are near 7 feet long.
Old 07-06-2016, 15:17   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
We almost bought a HR... but price/quality made an Amel a no brainer.
Price yes but can you actually tell me that the HR is lesser in quality?
Old 07-06-2016, 16:29   #44

Boat: a sailing boat

I do not think I have seen anything quite like Amel's cockpits elsewhere.

I think if you like an Amel-like cockpit (which I love) then you may end up with an Amel anyways - for the rest of the boat is basically in line with the cockpit - safe, strong, protective and comfortable.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 13:11   #45

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 1991

I thought of this thread today. Was down at the dock and met an Amel owner who graciously invited me to check out his boat. He loved his cockpit layout and the wheel at the bulkhead. He could run his anchor, bowthruster, main furling and 2 AP's from the wheel. The engine has more accessibility from lift up panel in the cockpit sole. The cockpit is open and easy to move around in. The boat is strongly built and has a lot of storage. The cabin below is smaller below due heavy build and storage. The bunks seemed short. Overall seemed like a great boat for a cruising couple going off-near-shore. If you like you may want to buy one of these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amel Cockpit.jpg
Views:	1441
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	125807  
Rising Tide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit