Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2018, 22:55   #61

Re: Cockpits like Amel Super Maramu

I've watched a lot of Delos videos and the cockpit design is second to none. I am looking at buying
A maramu also, and have designed a high back
Stidd helm chair that maintains vertical pisition
With the use of a counter weight and oil shocks.
Many years in the gulf of Alaska you learn to appreciate the comfort of Henry Amels design.
newrigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:03   #62
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie_ind View Post
Sorry I missed the thread earlier, we haven't had a lot of good internet coverage since leaving NZ in early May.

It's not surprising that Delos is now looking at catamarans, but are you sure it's not more to do with the fact that they're now averaging 6-7 people onboard most of the time? That's a lot for any 50' monohull for an extended period of time. We've had 7 aboard our Super Maramu for two weeks a few times and it's a testament to the cockpit layout (and overall layout of the boat) that we're all still good friends!

'Rolling' is more a monohull vs catamaran debate issue than cockpit layouts that the OP was asking about.

As Eleuthra's already stated, most Amel owners find the cockpit layout works very well and is a good compromise considering how little time the average blue water cruiser spends at the helm. I've heard the docking concerns and 'but I love hand steering in nice conditions' concerns numerous times and it's a non-issue IMO as the dodger top folds forward and you can stand at the helm with great visibility for docking and 'playing' at the helm. The other concern I hear regularly is 'but you can't see the sails from the helm' with the dodger top in place. Again, it's easy to peek out the sides or to have a transparent panel installed, but I simply usually check trim and reef standing in the companionway looking up though the nice clear plexi windshield, so have never found it to be an issue either. Finally, the concerns about having your back to the rest of the crew while at the helm is one I've never heard before. The crew chuckled at that one when I asked if it was an issue...'No' seems to be the consensus.

Interestingly, we all find the best on-watch seat on the boat is on the bench beside the helm, with our feet up on the helm seat. Ridiculously comfortable, good view forward and back, radar/chartplotter/wind instruments are easily seen and monitored, autopilot is easy to reach, drink and snacks securely sit nicely between you and the bulkhead, I can control the tunes from there with the Bluetooth remote, the iPad or Kindle stays nice and dry because you're tucked nicely behind and under the hard dodger/bimini away from any errant spray.............. We've got to go! When's the next crossing? I love blue water cruising!

Again, most concerns you hear about Amels 'quirks' are from people who've never sailed one, but know all about them. It really is the oddest quirk of the design that I've never been able to understand?

All these at said, I think you'd find many of the centre cockpit designs offer similar function and protection, particularly the ones with hard dodgers. I also really liked HR's and Malo's but simply found I got the same capability for less $ with the Amel. I'm first to admit that the fit and finish of the HR's is nicer though....but there's a price associated with it. I spent 3 weeks on a HR46 and loved it, but actually I did get tired of that big pedestal mounted wheel at the back of the cockpit. It seemed I was always threading my way around it? I found the same during the time I've spend aboard a Discovery 55 and an Oyster 53 (also great boats, but a completely different budget category). So I guess it really is 'different strokes for different folks'.

Happy hunting.....
+1 to all this - and I have spent 14 days offshore on an SM53.

Like all boats, Amels have good and weak points. But the cockpit arrangement is a perfect design for the proposed usage
Old 11-02-2018, 11:41   #63

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrigs View Post
I am looking at buying
I'd try it first. I'd bet money on it that you'll decide it's not worth the expense and time once you've sailed on the boat for a couple of months.

Many experienced Amel owners advise new owners to simply sail their boats for a year before making the 'improvements' they have planned. From my personal experience, approximately 90% of the items I was sure I'd 'fix' when I bought our boat proved to be absolutely fine as designed once I used and understood them. Then there were a number of items that the previous owner had 'improved' that I actually ended up changing back to the original configuration......

Just my humble opinion.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 08:37   #64

it´s called center cockpit. Hallberg Rassy, Oyster and many brands has them.
But for me Amel is the best of the best
stefnieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 06:27   #65

Boat: looking to buy my own 40 foot

yea but I agree with her for the people that make long passages and do nigh watches sitting behind a dodger in the cold wind perhaps or rain you will be having a much more comfortable time counting your lucky stars and who you didnt listen to. real estate,... there is plenty on any of the AMEL center cocpits

uear but of r the offsore long passage sailors who do nigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabarzini View Post
I don't care if you don't like it. I love it. I'm looking for other boats that might have a similar configuration, not someone telling me my preference is wrong.
Lucas1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 06:33   #66

did I read that right that you moved the hlp top the center? how much work was that and how was it changing the cable angles? or what it hydraulic.? what else could you tell me or advice?

2573704]+1 to all this - and I have spent 14 days offshore on an SM53.

Like all boats, Amels have good and weak points. But the cockpit arrangement is a perfect design for the proposed usage[/QUOTE]
Old 24-04-2018, 06:38   #67

'yea a ketch will do that to you lol

l
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Nice boat. Thanks for the piccy. That custom rear arch must have cost you a pretty penny. Well done, yet I would have maybe designed it to point more vertical, or maybe arching a tad forward to allow the solar panels to make a nice sunshade over the aft deck. Speaking of cool custom stuff, what's with your rear bumper? What's it made of, and how did you attach it to the hull? Seems like a cool idea (if quickly removable) for backing into slips or drunken tropical dinghy hijinks.

Back on topic, although Super Maramus are well designed for blue-water excursions, I gravitate towards Kenomac's opinion regarding the lack of need these days of having a forward helm under a dodger. Moreover, I personally don't care for the look and ergonomics. Probably great boats, but there are many aspects of the Amel SMs that just "put me off"; e.g., overall lines of the boat (stern to bow) and the basic interior layout (galley, head, nav station, and cabin designs). Just not my cup 'o tea.
Old 24-04-2018, 07:52   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
With the Amel wheel you have your back to everyone, which I suspect I wouldn't like. It's a continual statement of dismissal to the crew.
This is just a joke, right?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 08:01   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrigs View Post
I've watched a lot of Delos videos and the cockpit design is second to none. I am looking at buying
Many years in the gulf of Alaska you learn to appreciate the comfort of Henry Amels design.
I have three things for you to think about...

#1 Appreciate the fact that the design of helm seat is curved so you can sit vertically at any normal angle of heel.

#2 You are spending very, very little time sitting there "driving" the boat.

#3 If you are sailing an Amel at great than 20 degrees heel you are over canvased.

If after sailing 10,000 miles you STILL think you need a gimbaled helm seat, then you know enough to decide. But don't rip out what's there before you give it a proper test...

The way to keep an Amel's resale value is to make NO changes the the basic design. Systems can be updated, of course, but changing the design "philosophy" will reduce your pool of potential buyers.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit