Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2016, 13:48   #46

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Re: Cockpits like Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
That custom rear arch must have cost you a pretty penny. Well done...

Not that bad really! As we know custom things on a boat are always dear!

Not really easy to do as the mizzen boom gets in the way. also, as we have full cockpit covers, we keep the sunbeds on the aft cabin to SUN! yet I would have maybe designed it to point more vertical, or maybe arching a tad forward to allow the solar panels to make a nice sunshade over the aft deck.

Speaking of cool custom stuff, what's with your rear bumper?

REar bumper is Amel original.. merely repainted!

What's it made of, ... unobtonium...

and how did you attach it to the hull?

Two bolts through the transom to the aft lazarette inside

Seems like a cool idea (if quickly removable) for backing into slips or drunken tropical dinghy hijinks.

Back on topic, although Super Maramus are well designed for blue-water excursions, I gravitate towards Kenomac's opinion regarding the lack of need these days of having a forward helm under a dodger. Moreover, I personally don't care for the look and ergonomics.

Opinion...

Probably great boats, but there are many aspects of the Amel SMs that just "put me off"; e.g., overall lines of the boat (stern to bow) and the basic interior layout (galley, head, nav station, and cabin designs).

It works and the boats integrate a 4 zone water tight bulkheads. Just not my cup 'o tea.
Your choice! :-)
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 14:16   #47

Boat: Amel 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsestes1 View Post
Overall seemed like a great boat for a cruising couple going off-shore. If you like you may want to buy one of these.
It's the bluewater sailboat.
Van Der Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 14:56   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post

Your choice! :-)
Yup.

Factory original rear bumper. Interesting. Obviously not unobtonium, yet maybe on back order.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 18:03   #49

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Yup.

Factory original rear bumper. Interesting. Obviously not unobtonium, yet maybe on back order.
Not at all. NADA. Some owners needing to replace the bumper have had one made of iroko... mine is still OK
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 19:10   #50

Boat: hydrostream

Too like the Amel cockpit, even the aft cockpits have that style of helm. Guess they build or built 32ft and up from looking around. Likely have to go to Europe to get one.
Old 10-06-2016, 20:03   #51

Dear Linda, You have good taste! My boat , a a Brewer 12.8 mid cockpit also has a cockpit you describe--except the wheel is on a pedestal. Its purrfect! Also for sale, if interested look in Boats for sale this C/W
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 00:22   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabarzini View Post
I don't care if you don't like it. I love it. I'm looking for other boats that might have a similar configuration, not someone telling me my preference is wrong.

No need to be rude
asolmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:37   #53

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I've written a lot about what can be done, in terms of options with hard dodgers, in various threads on here. And most of said posts can be found via a custom Google Search, using the key words; "hard dodger", & my User Name.
Including many, many great features which one can build into them. As you'll commonly find on the single handed/short handed racing classes. Especially the French boats.

And admittedly, I went a bit overboard on explaining such, in the below linked post, but if you peruse it, it'll perhaps give you a better idea of what's possible. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2114063
Especially to include things like removable, light weight, composite, solid rear walls. Built from modular, interlocking pieces. With Lexan windows, & WT composite doors.
For when you're operating in an area with truly crappy weather conditions. When canvas & isinglass rear curtains aren't enough.

Too, you can add things like Acrylic, or Polycarbonate domes to the lids of hard dodgers, which allow you to see everything, both from the companionway, without going on deck at all. As well as integrating one into the hard dodger itself. As detailed by Snowpetrel here Snowpetrel Sailing: A High Latitude Dodger.
Plus, he addresses how to integrate a lot of subtle, but key features, to improve comfort onboard. Even in the harshest of climes. Whether your dodger is canvas, or something more permanent...

Which, he covers, regarding how he built the hard dodger, out of wood & composites, on his steel boat, in great detail. As well as the canvas one on his prior boat. Including the dodger's critical features, in terms of it's design, & the reasoning behind such.

And when it comes to the design process, you can always have a good yard or boat designer, create some lines, & a pattern of offsets for you, & then build to them.
Such is something which I've chatted about at length, with Steve Rander, who used to own Schooner Creek Boatworks. A premium, custom yard, in Portland.
As that's the technique which they used to build a hard dodger which weighed maybe 50lbs, total, on an 80'er. Out of carbon fiber, foam, & Lexan. That cost under $1k in materials, including consumables, etc.

So a lot's possible. And it doesn't need be complex, or difficult. As, even using strips of door skins, & a hot glue gun, is often a marvelous tool for quickly, & cheaply, creating a mockup; in a day or a weekend. And some guys actually build their whole dodgers, using essentially this method. Via stitch & glue, plus a bit of laminating, with bending plywood, & or, composites.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:47   #54

I think half of the Cats out there have bulkhead mounted steering and they all seem to like it.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:53   #55

Boat: a sailing boat

Re the smaller Amel with aft cockpit is called Fango. Google and you will get one. Nice boat in the pictures, I have not seen one at the dock yet.

Re plastic glass dodgers - they do not need any frame. The material can be baked then bent to any shape (e.g. with a heatgun). Think thermo ... plastics...

I have seen a 360 view dome plastic dodger custom made on a small Italian sloop last time in the Indies. Awesome. Still, I would not build ours this way as I like my dodger to give me protection from the sun, not just from the spray and wind.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 07:46   #56

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40CC

Dear Linda,

I have spent many weeks sailing on two Amels, one in Maine and the other in the Caribbean. I like the wheel placement. The cockpit is very large and the wheel location doesn't interfere with either socializing or being able to view the sails any more than any other cockpit. Every cockpit has its advantages and disadvantages. One of the two Amels we have sailed the hard dodger and soft bimini have a "break" that we roll out of the way so you can stick your head up and see the telltales. On the other you have to look out the side to see how your telltales are doing. One advantage of the Amel is that all the controls are right there, and given the all-electric nature of the Super Maramu you can basically do it all right from there.

I have a Beneath 40CC. We have a high coaming cockpit, large enough, you have to get up on the seats to change skippers at the wheel. I have a full dodger/bimini built fairly high but we had to cut a very large window out of it to be able to see when the sails were fully rolled out and view the telltales. We have to roll up the window in the middle of the dodger to see when its foggy. One the Amel, the window in front of the driver also lifts up for visibility.

Some of the Beneath 40cc were built with the wheel on the starboard side, the reverse of the Amel.

Sailing the Amel made us decide that we really like a full dodger/bimini setup. Visibility is however always a problem with this.

The other reason of course Amel does this is that the engine is under the cockpit floor. The engine room is amazing; you can step down, stand up full height and more.
Flygirlnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 01:38   #57

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
By the way, and not that the OP is, but for anyone who might be hero-worshiping the unwashed Delo tribe, they might find it interesting to learn that they hate their "rolling" Amel and are currently eying catamarans. Now it's just down to the math; i.e., how many schmaltzy Patreon-focused videos equals a 44' cat?
Sorry I missed the thread earlier, we haven't had a lot of good internet coverage since leaving NZ in early May.

It's not surprising that Delos is now looking at catamarans, but are you sure it's not more to do with the fact that they're now averaging 6-7 people onboard most of the time? That's a lot for any 50' monohull for an extended period of time. We've had 7 aboard our Super Maramu for two weeks a few times and it's a testament to the cockpit layout (and overall layout of the boat) that we're all still good friends!

'Rolling' is more a monohull vs catamaran debate issue than cockpit layouts that the OP was asking about.

As Eleuthra's already stated, most Amel owners find the cockpit layout works very well and is a good compromise considering how little time the average blue water cruiser spends at the helm. I've heard the docking concerns and 'but I love hand steering in nice conditions' concerns numerous times and it's a non-issue IMO as the dodger top folds forward and you can stand at the helm with great visibility for docking and 'playing' at the helm. The other concern I hear regularly is 'but you can't see the sails from the helm' with the dodger top in place. Again, it's easy to peek out the sides or to have a transparent panel installed, but I simply usually check trim and reef standing in the companionway looking up though the nice clear plexi windshield, so have never found it to be an issue either. Finally, the concerns about having your back to the rest of the crew while at the helm is one I've never heard before. The crew chuckled at that one when I asked if it was an issue...'No' seems to be the consensus.

Interestingly, we all find the best on-watch seat on the boat is on the bench beside the helm, with our feet up on the helm seat. Ridiculously comfortable, good view forward and back, radar/chartplotter/wind instruments are easily seen and monitored, autopilot is easy to reach, drink and snacks securely sit nicely between you and the bulkhead, I can control the tunes from there with the Bluetooth remote, the iPad or Kindle stays nice and dry because you're tucked nicely behind and under the hard dodger/bimini away from any errant spray.............. We've got to go! When's the next crossing? I love blue water cruising!

Again, most concerns you hear about Amels 'quirks' are from people who've never sailed one, but know all about them. It really is the oddest quirk of the design that I've never been able to understand?

All these at said, I think you'd find many of the centre cockpit designs offer similar function and protection, particularly the ones with hard dodgers. I also really liked HR's and Malo's but simply found I got the same capability for less $ with the Amel. I'm first to admit that the fit and finish of the HR's is nicer though....but there's a price associated with it. I spent 3 weeks on a HR46 and loved it, but actually I did get tired of that big pedestal mounted wheel at the back of the cockpit. It seemed I was always threading my way around it? I found the same during the time I've spend aboard a Discovery 55 and an Oyster 53 (also great boats, but a completely different budget category). So I guess it really is 'different strokes for different folks'.

Happy hunting.....
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 15:41   #58

Boat: Island Packet

Linda,

How about the Surfari 44

Surfari 44 Overview
Sailing320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 16:27   #59

Boat: Amel Euros 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Re the smaller Amel with aft cockpit is called Fango. Google and you will get one. Nice boat in the pictures, I have not seen one at the dock yet.

b.
And then there is Amel Euros 41. The same cockpit layout but with separate and quite small aft cabin. You can find them all over the world - over 250 were built. We love every inch of ours.
ullar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 17:54   #60

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. We met one guy who has an Euros. He crossed the pond more than 20 times by now.

I think Amels were the single most represented group of boats we met during our stunt.

Quite cool same company made Euros and now things like the 55 and 64.

PEDIGREE DEVELOPMENT STICKING TO ONE'S GUNS

I think.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit