Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2016, 07:32   #16

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46
Re: Cockpits like Amel Super Maramu

An older, smaller, more affordable version of this is the Finnsailer 38.

Kettlewell Cruising: FOR SALE: Finnsailer 38

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:40   #17

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
The seat in the Super Amel does rotate so no problem with visiting others in cockpit.
Definitely not.

However, here is a piccy of Ours with its full cockpit covers in place...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8034.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	125637  
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:41   #18

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

For the OP, Van den Stadt has may boats with cockpits under a hard dodger.

Cheers,
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:04   #19

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabarzini View Post
I don't care if you don't like it. I love it. I'm looking for other boats that might have a similar configuration, not someone telling me my preference is wrong.
You could phrase your answer differently...
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:08   #20
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

to the OP - just about any larger motorsailer will have a steering station like you want. Nauticat, Shannon, and Amel are good examples. an outside steering station is best for docking in tight places, especially if single handing.

Kennomac brought up a great point, and I think the improvements to autopilots are such that they are now as reliable as hydraulic or wire/chain pulleys for any multiple steering station vessel. I had nothing but hell one year trying to get the hydraulic steering system on a Nauticat balanced between pilothouse and cockpit wheels. I passed on a big Shannon because the three-wheel/ three throttle setup looked so complicated I could not imagine being able to fix it myself, and I doubted the average mechanic would want to mess with it.

my newer Raymarine linear drive and the Ray II software (update 17) are quite excellent and robust, and if I had to fix them I think its easier to ship circuit boards and wiring than hydraulic pumps and high pressure lines. You can use the old "swap out old component for new" repair system until electronics get working, and have spares or return the part.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:31   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter

In the mid-90s and early 2000s Beneteau made the Oceanis 44 Center Cockpit with a hard dodger and port side, front-of-cockpit steering options. We have a '96 without either of those options.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:16   #22

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

You can always replace a canvas dodger/bimini with a hardtop - rigid front windows on just about any boat. We are planning to do just that with our tired old canvas. Then I will sew up some canvas with either mosquitoe netting, or strataglass inserts for the sides and back. I'm the creative sort.
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:30   #23

Jeanneau made a version of the Sun Odyssey 40 DS with a helm location on the starboard cabintrunk. The cockpit of that boat looks awesome.

Robert Perry's review:
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 DS

One for sale:
2002 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 DS Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:42   #24

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Back in the 80'S I bought a used Yawl in Hong Kong [Rob 35], She had been built for a local business man and had the wheel positioned in the fwd. end of the cockpit, coming up on deck I had something to grab onto and with the dodger good protection while steering a win, win as far as I was concerned, presently I am converting a racing boat to a cruising boat for the owner [Ranger 37], have removed the wheel and gone to a Tiller, as it was not possible to go fwd. without climbing on to the cockpit seat, not a good idea at sea, with the self steering vane and a auto-pilot, little time is spent steering and it really opens up the cockpit area, which is nice at anchor or at the dock and with a hard dodger there is good protection under sail.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:44   #25

Boat: Cal 34

First let me qualify with... I am not a sailor, merely a wanabe.

But the couple of times Delos has sailed in weather, that cockpit looks a lot more comfey and secure than Lin and Larry Pardey's situation. But then I dont think Delos has ever hove to.
MidlifeCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:47   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
to the OP - just about any larger motorsailer will have a steering station like you want. Nauticat, Shannon, and Amel are good examples.
The Nauticat sailing yachts do, too: See 43, 515 and 525.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:49   #27

Boat: Amel 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor
The seat in the Super Amel does rotate so no problem with visiting others in*cockpit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Definitely not.
That's an easy fix though, moving the wheel offset not so much.

The autopilot argument I find rather lame and doesn't change the fact that the wheel is were the wheel is that. It gets in the way.

I would look at the Amel or a dual wheel aft cockpit. Having said that, if you want a large fornicatorium in the aft - which my girlfriend wanted - an aft cockpit is not optimal you'll need to look at a center cockpit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu
. . For a tiller to work on a heavy boat it will have to be a well balanced spade. . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead
I wouldn't have any other type of*rudder*. . .*
If we are talking about bluewater sailboats here then I'm of the opinion that a proper skeg rudder is the way to go, could come in handy the day you hit floating debris or a whale or a floating shipping container.
Van Der Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:29   #28

I really like how the Amel has a comfortable and protected hard dodger. The captain and instruments are nicely protected from all the elements, including rain, wind, and sun. You can always go into an open area for sun, but you can't always escape unless you leave up a dodger-connector-bimini combo. This cockpit has the advantage of a nice seat that allows the captain to see over the bow, easy to read instruments, and as protected as you want especially in weather.

The Amel is awesome, but I'm not sure I want a 53' boat, there isn't much in the 40' range; I think they now only make 55' and 64' boats. The Atlantis 400 looks worth investigating. I am currently on a Jeanneau Sun-Odyssey 40.3 with dual wheels and it is very nice too. I prefer something made after the year 2000, so that eliminates some of the older models.

Catamarans are definitely still an option too.
lindabarzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:44   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabarzini View Post
I really like how the Amel has a comfortable and protected hard dodger. The captain and instruments are nicely protected from all the elements, including rain, wind, and sun. You can always go into an open area for sun, but you can't always escape unless you leave up a dodger-connector-bimini combo. This cockpit has the advantage of a nice seat that allows the captain to see over the bow, easy to read instruments, and as protected as you want especially in weather.

The Amel is awesome, but I'm not sure I want a 53' boat, there isn't much in the 40' range; I think they now only make 55' and 64' boats. The Atlantis 400 looks worth investigating. I am currently on a Jeanneau Sun-Odyssey 40.3 with dual wheels and it is very nice too. I prefer something made after the year 2000, so that eliminates some of the older models.

Catamarans are definitely still an option too.
Amel vs Jeanneau not comparable but both fine for what they were designed for.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 14:13   #30

Urban Dictionary: Thread Hijacking
lindabarzini is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit