Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2017, 08:30   #1

Cockpit sizes of Tashiba, Tayana, Baba, Cabo Rico, Hans Christian

Hello All,

I’m interested in comparing the size of the cockpits of the Tayana 37, Tashiba 36, Baba 35, Cabo Rico 38 and Hans Christian 33. I’m looking for a bigger cockpit in which I can lay down in (5’8”), since I’ll be spending a lot of time in the tropics.

If anyone can help me out with the dimensions of these, I’d really appreciate it.

And of course, if anyone has other suggestions for bluewater, full-time cruising sailboats I may want to consider, I’m all ears - (100K budget, great ventilation, a shallow draft is preferable, bigger cockpit, pullman berth is nice, can sail in 10-12 knot winds).

This is my first post; I hope I'm in the right place.

Thanks,

Octavious
Octavious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 08:36   #2

Re: Cockpit sizes of Tashiba, Tayana, Baba, Cabo Rico, Hans Christian

Perry's boats all had "offshore" cockpits, another way of saying not that big. It does allow a bigger cabin though. A lot depends on your lifestyle but if your looking for larger cockpits his designs at that time didn't qualify. Many of these boats in good condition still can be a good choice depending how they are going to be used.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 08:52   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hi Octavious, a lesser known but similar boat is a Rafiki 37 (mine ). I can lie down in my cockpit, although I’m more like 5’6”. I’m sure there would be enough space were I a bit taller.

RAFIKI 37 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Old 20-02-2017, 09:07   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome Aboard CF!

Good luck on your boat search.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 09:21   #5

Most those will have plenty of room to lay down on the seating if that is what you are asking. You aren't laying down in the foot well right?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 09:50   #6
rbk

Boat: T37

"You aren't laying down in the foot well right?"

Hahaha! Too true. No problem laying down in a Tayana as well.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 09:52   #7

Thanks for the replies and the welcome, guys. I'll check out the Rafiki 37 - much appreciated. Cheechako, yes, I'm looking to lay down on the seating. I think the Hans Christian 33 is too small for this, from the looks of it.
Octavious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 09:25   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 300 MS 30'

Beware of big cockpits if you plan to do any offshore sailing. I had my BABA 35 cockpit full in a thunderstorm in mid-Atlantic when the wind shifted suddenly. That is a LOT of water, but she handled it well.

My criteria for a bluewater boat is to imagine her with three feet of water on deck as a big wave breaks over her.

As for your vision of "sailing in 10-12 knot winds" I am not sure what you mean. You must be ready for 50 knots if you are not daysailing near shelter. You may well see more than that offshore and should have your storm sails figured out in advance and ready to go on a moments notice. You will probably have many days of sailing with 30-35 knots.

Having a place to lay down in the cockpit should be a really low priority.
Captain Fred
Captain Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 10:14   #9

Boat: Island Packet 45

Check out my Cabo Rico 38ph "Bodacious" on sailboatlistings. She is one of only seven made. Beautiful boat.
Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 12:31   #10

Boat: Baba 40

And don't forget to check the drafts for the boats you identified. You've got some deep keels on the list.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 12:35   #11

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

My wife and I are both 5' 8" and we both sleep outside in the cockpit of our 1987 Cabo Rico 38 with plenty of room at our head and feet. Its just wide enough to not be overly annoying but not quite wide enough to lay on your back and have both arms supported.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 12:50   #12

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

FYI, most of the listed boats won't sail well in light winds, including 10kts, & especially if the wind is at all forward of the beam. You'll need a more svelte style of boat, with more sail area for performance in such conditions. Not that such will mean terrible handling in heavy air if it's a good design.
Look at PHRF ratings, & polars for anything that really interests you if you want to see how it'll compare to other candidate boats.

And, yes, adding, & supersizing cockpit drains is certainly an option. That or buy something with an open transom

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 13:43   #13

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fred View Post
Beware of big cockpits if you plan to do any offshore sailing. I had my BABA 35 cockpit full in a thunderstorm in mid-Atlantic when the wind shifted suddenly. That is a LOT of water, but she handled it well.

My criteria for a bluewater boat is to imagine her with three feet of water on deck as a big wave breaks over her.

As for your vision of "sailing in 10-12 knot winds" I am not sure what you mean. You must be ready for 50 knots if you are not daysailing near shelter. You may well see more than that offshore and should have your storm sails figured out in advance and ready to go on a moments notice. You will probably have many days of sailing with 30-35 knots.

Having a place to lay down in the cockpit should be a really low priority.
Captain Fred
Few lie down in the cockpit. Some have teak grates that fit over it so they can lie on it while moored or at anchored. The basic reason for a small (short) cockpit for a (offshore/bluewater) sailboat is rapid drainage if (when) the cockpit is filled with water. Drain capacity is an vital adjunct. The same general idea applies to a bridge -so the water does not enter the cockpit via the companionway.
Old 21-02-2017, 14:23   #14

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

The Lord Nelson 35 fills your criteria, I'm 5'7" and comfortably lay down on the cockpit, I know of a beautiful one loaded with new extras.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 14:36   #15

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
FYI, most of the listed boats won't sail well in light winds, including 10kts, & especially if the wind is at all forward of the beam. You'll need a more svelte style of boat, with more sail area for performance in such conditions. Not that such will mean terrible handling in heavy air if it's a good design.
Look at PHRF ratings, & polars for anything that really interests you if you want to see how it'll compare to other candidate boats.

And, yes, adding, & supersizing cockpit drains is certainly an option. That or buy something with an open transom
Uncivilized is right!

8 knots is pretty much our bottom end on a reach and only because we put up our asymmetric spinnaker. Closely hauled we can still make ok headway in 8 knots if the waves aren't choppy or big. 8 knots true from behind and we need to get all the canvas and the spinnaker out and can still only make 2-ish knots.

You get over 11 knots apparent and we can do 5.5 knots. Over 14 apparent and we hit hull speed.

But you know.. either the wind is blowing 5 knots or the wind is blowing 50 knots. A more modern design spritely boat will get you were you want to go in 5-8 knots of wind.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabo rico, cockpit, size