Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2018, 09:36   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Cockpit clutter

I've come to the conclusion that my Morgan 250 has an unusually poor cockpit design. There's too much clutter that takes away from the usable space. There are four problems that lead to this:

1. The mainsheet is rigged using standup blocks on either side of the cockpit, in the middle of what could otherwise be the aftmost seating area and is cleated off next to the starboard one. The lines go from these blocks up to a double block the aft end of the boom. In addition to using up seating space, the lines are in the way when trying to operate the outboard, reach the swim ladder, or do anything else at the stern rail.
  2. The primary winches are placed too far aft. They are not self-tailing and have a cleat forward of them that is sufficiently far away that more possible seating is given up.
  3. The spade rudder requires a rudder tube for the tiller that uses up valuable floor space, in comparison to what a transom-hung rudder would require.
  4. There is no place to put the gasoline tank for the outboard except on the floor of the cockpit, where -- you guessed it -- it's in the way.
The main reason I'm sharing this is that none of this was obvious to me before I purchased the boat. I've looked at other boats up and down the dock in the marina and am trying to gain an appreciation for cockpit layout, because I don't want to make a similar mistake on my next boat.

The two obvious "fixes" are to install self-tailing primaries and to install a below-decks fuel tank (there's room). There's nothing to be done about the rudder tube.

I would welcome advice on whether and how the mainsheet could be re-rigged.

I would also welcome posts on what you like and don't like about your cockpit layout.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 09:51   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Cockpit clutter

Can you make a place for your gas tank in one of your lazarette Lockers?

I keep mine in the aft lazarette whether in use or not.

I only use the external tank for long distance motoring. The outboard's integral tank is large enough for getting out of the slip and the creek.......and back in if there's enough wind for my whole weekend/vacation cruise.

My cockpit seemed not large enough when I had the controls for the diesel. Lines were always getting hung up on them. After I removed the diesel, I also removed those controls and it was much better.

My main problem though was that I was used to at least an 8' wide "cockpit" plus trap out space as all my previous sailboats (4) had been beach cats over a period of almost 15 years. But there is much more actual sailing being done when racing than when cruising so it doesn't take long to adjust to the smaller space
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 10:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Can you make a place for your gas tank in one of your lazarette Lockers?

I only have one lazarette locker, on the port side. On the starboard side, the quarterberth takes up most of the space, but there's some dead space that is nearly inaccessible. A permanently mounted tank could go there.

The entire area below the cockpit is open to the cabin, though, so it would be a complicated project, with the addition of a bulkhead wall and a blower and vent.
Old 17-09-2018, 22:03   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I THINK I'd consider a good rigid box for the fuel tank at the companionway. Yes, you'll have to step up to enter the companionway, but I think your boat was not designed with fuel tanks in mind. Plus the weight will be more forward where it belongs. I use these bags hung from lifelines for sheets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2018-09-17 at 10.01.51 PM.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	177557  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 22:10   #5
cruiser

The gasoline tank belongs outside, don’t put it inside anywhere on your boat.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 03:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Putting the gas inside a vented lazarette locker is fine plus it's cooler there.

Most all boats be they sail or power store the gas some where below becks.

Mine is in the Aft Lazarette Locker which has two cowl vents. I usually carry somewhere between 3-5 gallons in two separate containers plus whatever is in the engine tank

Also, the gas containers are located in such a way as they remain in a fixed position not sliding all over the deck if in the cockpit etc.

The fuel line for the external tank feeds through one of the cowl vents right to the engine and is ready to be plugged in when needed
Old 18-09-2018, 05:50   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Putting the gas inside a vented lazarette locker is fine plus it's cooler there.

Most all boats be they sail or power store the gas some where below becks.

Mine is in the Aft Lazarette Locker which has two cowl vents. I usually carry somewhere between 3-5 gallons in two separate containers plus whatever is in the engine tank

Also, the gas containers are located in such a way as they remain in a fixed position not sliding all over the deck if in the cockpit etc.

The fuel line for the external tank feeds through one of the cowl vents right to the engine and is ready to be plugged in when needed
BOOM!
Old 18-09-2018, 05:56   #8

Quote:
BOOM!
Not in the past 7 years in all sorts of conditions........

The Aft Lazarette is cooler, vented, and the gas containers are secure and do not slide around. At most, I have 5 gallons onboard but usually it's between 3 and 4 gallons in two separate containers. One vented the other totally closed.
Old 18-09-2018, 06:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I've come to the conclusion that my Morgan 250 has an unusually poor cockpit design. There's too much clutter that takes away from the usable space. There are four problems that lead to this:

[LIST=1][*]The mainsheet is rigged using standup blocks on either side of the cockpit, in the middle of what could otherwise be the aftmost seating area and is cleated off next to the starboard one. The lines go from these blocks up to a double block the aft end of the boom. In addition to using up seating space, the lines are in the way when trying to operate the outboard, reach the swim ladder, or do anything else at the stern rail.
I have the same setup for my mainsheet. It's not the best setup, but you do get used to it.

If you really don't like it, you might be able to install a traveler track all the way across the stern below the boom blocks depending on how your boat is built

Picture shows mine in "parked" position which is much higher than when the boat is underway
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01939.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	177577  
Old 18-09-2018, 07:45   #10

Quote:
I have the same setup for my mainsheet. It's not the best setup, but you do get used to it.

If you really don't like it, you might be able to install a traveler track all the way across the stern below the boom blocks depending on how your boat is built

Picture shows mine in "parked" position which is much higher than when the boat is underway

Mine is very much like the one in your photo.
Old 18-09-2018, 08:07   #11

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
What he said!!!!!!
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 08:12   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

"Boom"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
What he said!!!!!!

An exaggeration. Propane lockers are below decks. Design it that way.

I've had three boats with gas tanks in lockers that were fully sealed from the hull and vented to naturally drain overboard. Very safe.

[multihulls are easier this way]
Old 18-09-2018, 08:18   #13

People seem to freak out really quickly when it comes to gas.

The vented aft lazarette locker is so much better than storing it on deck. It's cooler and there's nothing in there except other similar products oil, grease etc
Old 18-09-2018, 23:21   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I think the reference was to being sure that there is no way any gas fumes can be released into and/or collect in the main salon area and/or bilge where a spark could set them off. I have one of those sealed and vented lazarettes, and certainly there are many boats with Atomic 4s with tanks below decks, but gasoline fumes are nothing to trifle with. A plastic tank below decks is, with any access to the interior, I would definitely agree, a very bad idea.
In fact on second thought my suggestion to make a box in the cockpit is not all that a great too, though better than just laying a tank in there in the cockpit. I'm going to take that one back.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 02:03   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Not in the past 7 years in all sorts of conditions........

The Aft Lazarette is cooler, vented, and the gas containers are secure and do not slide around. At most, I have 5 gallons onboard but usually it's between 3 and 4 gallons in two separate containers. One vented the other totally closed.
If and when your plastic gas containers leak, and we’ve had more than one spring a leak over the years... usually along a seam, , you’ll end up with gasoline and it’s fumes in your bilge. Then....

BOOM!

I believe there’s even several warnings molded into the plastic gas container alerting as to the dangers of storing gasoline indoors.

Tags
cockpit