Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-08-2011, 19:38   #16

Boat: 40' Jeanneau
Re: Coastal Sailing on 28-32' LOA Boat

I've sailed my 30' Dufour from South Carolina to the Exumas and back, and then up to Maine and back. At no time have I felt the boat was not up to the task. There were plenty of times I wasn't quite sure about the skipper, though :-)

Old 29-08-2011, 07:45   #17

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes
Re: coastal sailing on 28-32 loa boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmarcet View Post
Well, I don't know how far out I would go sailing up the coast. Maybe 100 miles, I don't know, maybe less. I think I'd rather be sitting in some nice anchorage than fight 10 foot seas, Although I did take my 21 footer out in 6 foot seas or so, that was kind of dicey, it had no furling for the head sail or reefing on the main, so 20+ knot winds in 6 foot seas was ahh, interesting to say the least. I don't think a 21 foot daysailer was really meant for conditions like that.
Then yeah, just get a comfortable coastal cruiser. Something easy to single handle , has the features you want, won't break the bank and works well for the areas you want to sail.

For a single guy, 28-32ft is fine. I live on a 32ft Pearson and it's plenty of space. She's very easy to single handle, quite a stout little boat, has a nice shallow draft and it didn't break my bank account to buy her.

Someday I might switch out to another boat, maybe bigger, maybe a multi-hull, maybe even a trawler, but when/if I do it'll be based on a much more solid understanding of my wants and needs that I've learned living on my current boat.

Old 30-08-2011, 07:41   #18

Boat: Victoire 1122
Re: coastal sailing on 28-32 loa boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
Someday I might switch out to another boat, maybe bigger, maybe a multi-hull, maybe even a trawler, but when/if I do it'll be based on a much more solid understanding of my wants and needs that I've learned living on my current boat.
This is very good advice. Experience is the best way to find out what you like to see in you future boat. As there are so many variables you need to learn for yourself which ones you find most important.
That's why i always like the the discussions about point-ability of a sailing vessel. Even people with the same cruising grounds can't agree on how important this is for their way of sailing. There is so much personal preference involved, you really need to discover your own preferences.

Tags
loa, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: