Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2010, 09:05   #1

Coast Cutter 34' - Anyone Know Anything ?

We just viewed a Coast Cutter 34 built by Shannon/Roberts in BC. She is similar (we were told) to 341 built by same.
I can't find ANYTHING online about this boat. We noticed thin fiberglass on cockpit lockers and what looks like repaired cracking on deck to cabin foredeck. We really like the layout - feel like a much bigger boat and the storage but there is only 1 for sale and no owners assoc.
I'm pretty sure it could handle offshore cruising, however my concern is that the cracking/flexing could mean bad things in weather.
Before we spend too much time on this boat we want to do a little research.
Anyone know / sailed / owned this boat?
Thanks!
ShayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 12:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Shay.

Note that the boat was designed by Grahame Shannon of the Bruce Roberts Design Group (as a DIYer, Roberts 341), and the builder of the one you saw was Coast.

Roberts 341 Boatplans Roberts 341

Coast 34 ➥ 1992 Coast Cutter - Boats.com

I think trhese values are inflated* ➥ Cape Marine Corp Coast 34 CT | Prices, Reviews, New & Used Cape Marine Corp 34 Coast CT for sale

* I'm no fan of the boat nor of the design.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 18:02   #3

The Coast 34 is a modern, high performance cruising boat based on the traditional Scottish fishing vessel. Several Coast 34 sailboats have been built by a series of boatbuilders from British Columbia, all of whom (like most boatbuilders in the region) are now out of business.
"Hallie" is a offshore capable cruiser. 1992 Hull, finished and launched 1997. Very clean throughout. Powered by fully rebuilt Yanmar 3GM27 diesel with under 500 hours since rebuild. Built as a production version of the Roberts 341 designed by Grahame Shannon of the Bruce Roberts Design Group.
Looks like they are like some of the Cascades and Corbins that were finished and launched after hull construction...No two are alike.
Just FYI
Greg
Old 14-06-2010, 08:46   #4

FYI

Gord, thanks for your opinion.

Greg, buying a boat is a big decision and doing our research and getting unbiased opinions is part of that process. I wish you would have identified your self as a broker for Passion Yachts, representing the boat I was referring to.
If you have relevant info on the question I asked about the thin fiberglass and "fix" on the deck/cabin foredeck area I'm all ears.

We contacted Roberts by email and he states very adamantly that the Coast Cutter is an "illegal" version of the 341. Anyway.
Shay
ShayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 09:29   #5

Hi Shay,

My apologies for not being clear. I spend time here to learn and discuss things that are interesting to me. I have not spent time on that vessel as I am at Passion Yachts only a few times per month as needed. I did not know you were referring to that listing. I will take a look into anything that we know about the deck situation that you are curious about and let you know what I can find out. Thanks for your reply, I will be sure to be more clear in the future as you pointed out. Thanks!
Greg
Old 20-06-2010, 10:35   #6

IMHO-Coast 34

Hi;
I have had my Coast 34 Ka'sala for two years now and prior to that lived on and cruised a Brewer 44...
Every boat built is a compromise and every sailor has an opinion. We were looking for a traditional style cruiser for two and had not considered that a boat less than 36-40 would do for us until we saw the Coast 34. We considered Hallie along with a couple of others available in the fall of 08 but struck a deal on Ka'sala before we had the chance to see Hallie. I was not expecting the Coast 34 to be a good light air boat but was pleasantly surprised. We can do 5 kts beating in 10 kts of wind with out trying too hard and with her drifter she manages half the apparent right up to a reach. Kasala is quite (actually very) stiff and carries her working sails (115 yankee and main) up to 20 kts without too much weather helm. She is light on the helm and quite well balanced on all points of sail. She does not point as high as I would like Tacks are 100+ degrees) and that is due in part to the beam and wide sheeting angle of the headsail. She actually points higher in stronger winds with the stays'l and reefed main due to the tighter sheeting of the stays'l (inside the shrouds). Sea state is more of a consideration in my experience with this boat and she gets knocked off the wind well before she stops pulling. In the two seasons we have sailed her we have been out in two full gales and confirmed that she maintains her balance in a moderate sea with a tendency to fall off while running which the Monitor was more than capable of handling. While hand steering, the yaw in following seas was benign and much less challenging than the fin keel/spade rudder boats I have raced on.
Bear in mind that the Coasts were all more or less custom finished (either by the yard or the owner) and individual boats may have different sail plans.
Ka'sala was cruised for twelve years by her previous owners (thanks Peter and Marlene) and experienced a variety of off shore conditions. There were no signs of structural damage during the survey and since owning her I have exposed large sections of her interior and the layup I have seen is very high standard with uniform thickness and no signs of voids or bubbles - Iwish I could say the same of other boats I have seen. After a dozen years in warm salt water there was no sign of any hull blisters.
The engine installation has been problematic. The space allocated for the engine is compact and very close to the shaft log and the original speck was for a 30 HP auxiliary which, in the experience of other Coast 34 owners I have talked to, is adequate but only just (remember this is a ten ton boat) Ka'sala's owners opted for a sturdier 37 hp Yanmar which required reverse mounting and a vee drive arrangement which, when combined with the soft Yanmar engine mounts, makes for sympathetic vibes, at various points in the power band. So expect to be under powered - or shaken not stirred.
You probably have your own opinions based on what you have seen on her accommodations, so I will keep mine to myself.
So, that is one Coast 34. For more information try Googling Angelique or Ladybug both of which are (were) cruising in Mexico last time I checked. Good point on the owner's site - might have to do something about that someday.
Hopefully this helps. If you have any specific questions I might help with - fire away.
Doug.
Kasala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 20:09   #7

Hi Shay, Doug, et al,

I bought a Coast 34 in 2009 in Mexico (Doug mentions Ladybug above - our blog is ladybugcruise.blogspot.com). I mostly agree with what Doug says re performance. I would say we tack through 90 degrees in smooth seas, but she is easily affected by chop in particular in lighter airs and does worse than 100 degrees (try 120 in really bad conditions!). That being said, we have sailed quite well against other cruising boats (including a well sailed Peterson 44!). Our boat has a tall rig (3.5 feet higher than the original) which gives us better light air performance at the cost of more weather helm and earlier reefing.

The boat is quite well built - not a heavy layup, but no structural issues at all after 25 years on the water. I like her appearance (attractive canoe stern) although her freeboard is a bit high.

We have the Yanmar 3GM diesel (24 continuous hp), which works ok except when beating under power into a rough sea (we tend to sail under these conditions instead).

She is a great cruising boat for a couple - Plenty of room below due to high freeboard and generous 11.5 foot beam. She has a very useable V berth and a good sized 'twin' quarterberth. Loads of storage, too. I am only 5'7" and 145 lbs but can single hand her with a bit of effort (the mainsail is a bit of a bear to furl in any wind - needs lazy jacks!). We will probably take her out to Hawaii in a couple of years and then back to BC Canada, although we are still ponerdering a Pacific crossing and over-wintering/summering in New Zealand.

Feel free to ask questions, Shay, and Doug - maybe one of us should start a Google Group or the equivalent for Coast 34 owners. I have only met the folks on Angelique, but there must be other owners out there who would come out of the woodwork. Also, I believe Angelique is back in Vancouver - they were shipping her home via dockwise last year...

Chris Bennett
VictoriaCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 20:31   #8

further to...

Hi Chris;
Interesting comments. I forgot to mention that our sails are the originals and quite bagged. We are picking up a new set from Carol Hasse in Port Townsend in August and I hope to be able to sail closer with them.
There is a Coast 34 Pilot house here in the marina in Comox, finished and rigged by the owner (Kip) and he elected to do the shroud chain plates inside the rails and through the deck. The result is a narrower sailplan and tighter sheeting on the Jib. I haven't sailed with him yet but I am looking forward to comparing one on one to see if he points higher/goes faster. I don't like holes in the deck as a rule so I am happy with the way K is set up whatever the outcome. Besides, aren't we supposed to be going with the wind!?
We have enjoyed your blog very much. We are heading down the coast towards Mexico this coming fall. If we get that far we will look for you.
Doug
Kasala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 23:07   #9

Hi Doug,

The chainplates on our Coast 34 are through the deck but close to the molded cap rail, so our genoa does not sheet all that tightly. Interesting that yours are external. I envy your new sails - Hasse's loft does lovely work. I found that the new main on my last Cal-29 made a massive difference to pointing and speed.

Thanks for the kind words re the blog. I hoped it would be somewhat helpful to other cruisers. You should have a blast coming down to Mexico with your boat - the windvane and the way she sails downwind should make the trip even more pleasant than our one in the Cal-29. We do end up beating a fair amount while sailing in the Sea of Cortez, but if you time your migration well, you can get tail winds much of the time. Anyway - I'm somewhat off topic, so feel free to drop me a line at crbennet at gmail if you want to chat about things.

Chris
Old 10-02-2012, 15:24   #10

Re: Coast Cutter 34' - Anyone Know Anything ?

My wife and I bought Hallie in Sydney, BC, in the summer of 04, sailed her to Portland, Ore. I've torn the headliner out, and there is no structural damage or cracking or repairs to were the cabin meets the deck, cockpit locker lids could be thicker, she is a Marques Marine boat, built in 1992, several other builders (2 to 3 ) around Vancouver built them in the 80's, I once heard there were 28 or so built? We have had Hallie in some rough conditions and she felt very safe and rode well for her size, she is not a really heavy lay up like ( union,hans,tayanas) but is fine for offshore use, at 16000lbs. she is a medium displacement boat with a performance underbody. Rigged very heavy 5 stays per side, double spreader, cutter rigged. I've collected some info on Coasts, need owners ass.

Mike
CCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:46   #11

Re: Coast Cutter 34' - Anyone Know Anything ?

Hi Mike,

We have started a small coast 34 owner's website to collect information on the boat and to provide an owner's register. Hallie is one of the boats we have listed, as we found some info on her on the web. See the site here

There is also a great recent review here.

I have updated the entry for Hallie under the fleet with details from your post regarding builder and year purchased.

We are still in Mexico with our Coast 34, where we have sailed her off and on for a few years. We plan to cross the Pacific starting in a few weeks with a crossing to the Marquesas from La Paz, Mexico.

Cheers,
Chris

Tags
cutter