Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2017, 20:16   #1

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon
Co2 and smoke alarms opinions?

Insurance company wants them installed. Good idea I guess.
What brand do you have. Best location for them?
Old 14-09-2017, 22:07   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Co2 and smoke alarms opinions?

We use combo battery operated units made for houses. One in the main cabin and one in the quarter berth where the diesel water heater could put out fumes on a failure. Cheap and easy to install.
There are also commercial marine engine fire alarm systems available.
Old 14-09-2017, 22:15   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yeah the home variety seem to work, maybe too well! My buddy next to me had his beeping for a week and the neighbors called me thinking it was on my boat. He had no CO, no smoke, no propane leak... all we could figure was that the diesel fumes (plenty of that) set it off or it was the battery outgassing while being charged.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 07:00   #4

Paul thanks for the insight. More than one than might be good idea.

Don maybe good idea to disarm if going to be away from boat for extended time?
Old 15-09-2017, 07:33   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamesCook View Post
Insurance company wants them installed. Good idea I guess.
What brand do you have. Best location for them?
I'm surprised you wouldn't have figured this out without your insurance company demanding them.

I don't take safety measures because the insurance company wants me to and I don't take them because the law requires me to. I take them because I don't want to wake up dead one morning. Satisfying my personal safety requirements takes care of insurance and legal requirements.

I use quality "residential" units. Actually, I now have a combination unit with a permanent battery. Life is something like seven or ten years, I don't remember which.

Best location for them? It depends on your boat, but I would suggest the sleeping area for the first set.
Old 15-09-2017, 08:16   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Install the CO detector away from the companionway and other areas it might get wet. Had mine soaked by a boarding wave and it went on full alert and wouldn't turn off. Thankful I had it while it was working. When it was working it went off when the exhaust system had issues.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 08:58   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Watch out for the combo units especially. If they use the usual (cheap) ionization detectors for smoke, those need to be replaced every 7-10 years, so you wind up throwing out a perfectly good CO detector that's "built in" to it. The ionization detectors are sometimes sold now with a 10 year battery sealed in, just throw out the whole thing when it goes "ripe". (The problem is that dust in the air coats and blocks the ionization chamber, and you can only clean so much so well before you risk dislodging the radioactive speck in there.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 10:15   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Watch out for the combo units especially. If they use the usual (cheap) ionization detectors for smoke, those need to be replaced every 7-10 years, so you wind up throwing out a perfectly good CO detector that's "built in" to it. The ionization detectors are sometimes sold now with a 10 year battery sealed in, just throw out the whole thing when it goes "ripe". (The problem is that dust in the air coats and blocks the ionization chamber, and you can only clean so much so well before you risk dislodging the radioactive speck in there.)
It's the CO detectors that have a lifespan of 7-10 years, not the smoke detectors.

The reason for the built in, non-replaceable batteries is the fact that people will often just remove dead batteries and forget to replace them. Or take them out to use them in something else.

BTW: Photo electric smoke detectors are also subject to false alarms from dust accumulation.
Old 15-09-2017, 13:10   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"It's the CO detectors that have a lifespan of 7-10 years, not the smoke detectors."
if the Co detectors ALSO have a limited life then they are well paired. But I can tell you for a fact that every national agency, from the NFPA to FEMA, says to throw out the ionization detectors at ten years.

And in fact, THAT's the reason for the ten year battery. It eliminates the common complaint about "my smoke detector is beeping" and when the "used up" flag pops, it is one fast sale for replacement. The detector companies really don't care if you replace the batteries, or if you burn up. Every year in October everyone (TV Nooze, local FD's, etc.) make a big deal about "replace your batteries when you reset your clocks" and the funny thing is, none of them mention "replace your detectors!".

I've had multiple detectors totally fail during fires and while trying to find out why, I met the "Oh, ten years? Yeah, you need to trash it" at every corner.

The photocell detectors can, in theory, be dusted or blown out with canned air "forever". Because the ionization chambers are "tamper proofed" to ensure the radioactive source cannot be touched, the static charge that creates attracts dust which costs the source and the sensor--both safely in a (vented) sealed metal chamber. So all you can really do is blow canned air at it, and it doesn't really get in there.

Go to the source: Every mfr, every agency, says the same thing about ionization detectors. Since they are consumables and the battery warning is a RFPITA for all customers, the whole idea of "OUR product won't wake you up every year, just toss and replace" makes a lot of marketing sense.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 19:07   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamesCook View Post
Paul thanks for the insight. More than one than might be good idea.

Don maybe good idea to disarm if going to be away from boat for extended time?
Perhaps, but in this case it led my friend to check his battery and he saw it had a problem. So as long as you have neighbors with your phone number who don't mind calling you if something odd pops up with your boat, I'd leave it hooked up!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 08:52   #11

Product Comparison Page

Which one would be your choice or is there another kind?

Don good idea post phone number on horseshoe?

Tags
alarm