Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2009, 21:28   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynEvans View Post
I bought a Clipper 26 back in 72 and happily sailed her for several years. My now EX husband fell asleep undersail and ran her aground somewhere around Newport Beach, CA. We later traded her in on a triplex in Newport. I live in Seattle now and have switched over to a 1978 Searay io cruiser. I can tell you I loved that boat! We would sail at every opportunity and it was perfect for Me. I paid $7000 for it new but that is when vws sold for less than that boat so.....It was a first for me and a love affair that will never die but remain solid in my memory forever. Good luck on your quest and I hope you enjoy whatever you get as much as I enjoyed "Witchy Woman"
Lyn Evans
You traded a CM 26 for a triplex? Woah! (Just messin' with ya!)

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 09:35   #62

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
I am not interested in offending either. But in the 70's when I was buying my first boat, I was attracted to that $4995 original price at a boat show. Then I looked at the tabbing, the hardware, the lack of backing plates anywhere--some of the fittings were secured by self tapping screws!, you could push against the side of the the brand new boat and the hull would flex, and the general build quality (look at the chain plates). I paid twice as much for a Cal. I was never sorry. I sailed on San Francisco Bay for 30 years and you do not see many Clippers out there where the wind blows. Like cars, there are some boats built to a price and other with a mix of price and quality, and a few with little regard for price. This was a price boat and the company made no bones about it. With all the small, reasonably well built production boats on the market now (they are giving away some old Santanas, Catalinas, Ericsons, and Cals these days) I would suggest Clipper would be last on my list.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 22:10   #63

San Juan 34

Andy
As a boatbuilder, prhaps you can help my in my quest to know your thoughts on the San Juan 34 or Crown 34 which I understand is very similar. I am considering to buy one for an Atlantic crossing and would like ot know if I am on the right or wrong track.
Many thanks
dmesssick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 16:52   #64

Clipper Marine was a boat designed specifically to be the maximum size that could be towed down the highway. As such the 30', one of which I owned, had a 24' mast with standing rigging the size of a 14' Capri. The hull and deck were attached with pop rivets and the major flaw it had was for that joint to separate. There is no way to make a cruising boat out of one of these and should not be considered for more than lake or small bay use. The one I purchased was taken from San Diego to Encsenata, Mexico a distance of 60 miles but this was coastal. I purchased my Clipper in order to be able to have a live aboard in a marina and would take it out onto San Diego Bay in good weather. It would quickly get up to about 5 knots in light wind. One good aspect about them was they had a stability of design such that it was stable without a keel. There is no real re-sale for these boats so if you get one consider the money sunk and unrecoverable. The major problem with these is not the design but those that buy one. They thing they are going to take it to Tahiti and it never should even be considered for Blue Water. As for looks they are quite hansom with a clipper bow and two step dog house. Hope it helps.
doslocos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:20   #65

I own a CM 26 and it is bolted together with 5/16 bolts every foot. It has chain plates for the standing rigging to mount and does not flex anywhere. I sail it on a lake in Canada and it is very forgiving and safe to sail. I have refit mine with new main sail and interior mods to make it comfy. Some **** head with a 42 footer bad mouthing these gems is just full of hot air. They are meant to be light weight and inexpensive. So if you wanna go sailing just do it, some jackass with a digny is proubly the one claiming to have a 42 footer
Captainjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:43   #66

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
You are obviously referring to me and your name calling is duly noted Captain. As I said, I didn't mean to offend anyone. Obviously I've offended you with my objective comments. Now you feel you have to be subjective in your evaluation of me. I won't be welcoming you to the forum Captain.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:54   #67

Boat: 1970 Albin Vega 27
Wow. I have a CM21 in my inventory. I won't be hawking it here, that's for certain.
RedBellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:56   #68

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Why not? There are obviously many defending fans.
regards,
Old 05-05-2010, 04:41   #69

Reply to Captainjim

Reply to Captainjim,
I have over 40,000 nautical miles as a blue water cruiser including a non-stop 44 day from Panama to French Polynisia. I spent 13 years re-building my boat to make that trip safely in all kinds of weather. Ever though the hull was over 1" thick fibergless I watched as built in cabinets flexed and moved. I will put my sailing experience up against yours any day of the week as it has covered Lake, bay, coastal, and blue water over a period of some 55 years. I suggest that before you encourage someone to take a boat that was never designed to be used for other than lake or bay sailing, and then only in good weather, for a use for which it was not designed. As for your CM, it appears to have been modified. Maybe you might want to explore the original specifications. I reiterate the Clipper Marine was never intended to be used on the Ocean, while being designed very well for what it was. And before you condemn the rest of us without justification, I am a great fan of the Clipper Marine and just wish someong would design one considerably stronger. To the original commenter, Study what you wish to purchase and make sure it will serve your purpose. Good luck and enjoy what ever you finally buy.
Old 02-07-2010, 13:15   #70

Boat: Clipper Marine 30' "Intended Purpose"
Reply to doslocos
I too, own a CM30 and find it a pleasure to sail, it's name "Intended Purpose" says it all. To the original commenter I will reiterate what doslocos said about purchasing what will serve your purpose. Our CM30 came from the factory with 4'draft, 1800# keel, boat & trailer weights 8,700lbs fully loaded with fuel & water. We traded our Catalina 22 for the CM30 for the creature comforts while crusing 1-3 weeks at a time on inland lakes. 20knt winds with 4'chop with reefed sails we cruse around at 6knts without the wife white knuckling yet light winds move us along comfortablely. That is what we need to sail our mountain lakes as the weather changes hourly. My buddy Bruce who sails with us weekly is 6'5, 330+ and can move around the boat comfortably although the head is a little cozy for him!!!!!!!!!
If the boat is in good shape or you can make it that way without spending alot of money and it will serve your purose buy it and start enjoying sailing.
PS My Dad always told me "a boat is a dry hole in the water that swallows all the cash you throw into it with enjoyment the only return". Enjoy
lzjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:03   #71

To Izjay, The Clipper Marine 30 that I owned was purchased for $800 and only after purchase was it found to not have a keel. A quick questioning of the previous owners found that they had "Lost it". Not having the specs nor any patern, a friend of mine and I fabricated a keel from a Morgan 35 to fit our needs. Total weight after modification was some 2500 lbs. As such my 30 footer was unusually stable. I used it to learn what worked and what did not as a project boat for a Blue Water Cruiser I eventually built. I did such things as having water tanks that I could transfer weight from side to side, etc. Eventually I sold the boat to a couple who wanted a weekender. Worked very well for both our purposes. They eventually sold the boat to someone who wished to escape America and he sailed it 68 miles to Encinada, Mexico where I again saw it. Now I put in about $1,800 and sold the boat for $2,500. The couple that I sold it to sold it for $2,000 and the guy who sailed it to Mexico sold it for $20,000. A very strange history. Hope all enjoy this and the other comments on the forum. Good sailing and my best to the originator. Have you purchased a boat yet?
Old 05-07-2010, 17:44   #72

Talking Clipper Marine 26

Hello all what an old thread still going strong. Just thought I would chime in because I have a Clipper Marine 26 that I am refitting.

Long story short; I got this boat from the Boy Scouts as it was donated to them but they did not want it. No paper work so I did not even know what it was. It was not in bad shape but had been started to be repainted, It was sanded down so I did not see any registration numbers. For a year I researched it but the internet was not what is is today. My oldest son died about that time and I took a turn for the worse and neglected it. Hatch blew off filled part way with water. In WI you know what happened then. Fast forward, Problems with the wife looking to get my life back on track moved in by myself and sat looking at the CM one day thinking I need to do something with that. I started researching it again and low and behold I found out that CM on the hull meant Clipper Marine. New hope! The inside was a mess. I though it was a gonner. But after removing all the wood I found that it was built as a shell then everything added after that. Absolutely no damage to the hull at all. Lots of grinding and sanding and it is as sound as ever. From the CM forum I found out how to fix most of the short comings it has. Mine has pop rivets holding the hull to the top. I plan on changing this. I used backing plates on everything else as you would on an Ocean cruiser. (My soon to start on Triton) If one were to beef up the center post and use a bridge for the mast support the top is very solid. I see no reason this boat will not sail with safety on a lake. It has positive flotation, less sail area than it could have, and I am told it sails very easy. For the $1,000.00 you usually pay for them I think it is a good deal. The trailer alone is worth half of that. The one thing I do like about it is the pop top. It opens it up and airs out very well. I look at it as a very affordable weekend boat that does not cost a lot of money to maintain. It is not a live-a-board boat. Most likely not even a leave in the water boat. But with a few modifications you can have tons of fun sailing with it for about the same price you would pay for a 14'er.

Dan
Skipper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 19:04   #73

For Clipper Marine owners.

To the last commentator I applaud you for very succinctly identifying the virtues of the Clipper Marine Brand of boats. Before anyone gets the idea that I am in any way bad mouthing them I am not and am a great fan of both the design and the engineering. When exploring possibilities for my blue water, many discussions centered around how to strengthen the Clipper Marine 30 that I owned so it could become a true cruiser. I am sorry to report that the end resule was that the costs would simply be prohibitive. I still find myself however flashing back to those discussions and saying "maybe if we did this or that". I have yet to know anyone that has owned one of these boats that has not had a great fondness in their hearts for them and I dearly wish someone would take up the design and make Ocean Goers with the same appearance. It really brings joy to my heart that there is still sop much interest in the line. As fro as I know the 32'er was the largest of the line and was a ketch. The smallest I ever saw was a 12'er but I am not the definitive answer on the line. The only 32 I ever saw was owned by a buddy of mine in San Diego and probably is still stored in his hanger at the airport down by the boarder. He lived in it for some time before the purchase of a 40' Kettenberg. Anyway enjoy all of you.
Old 26-08-2010, 12:09   #74

Boat: Clipper Marine 26 "
Hello Boys and Girls,
We recently purchased a CM26 in reasonable shape. That is until i broke the keel cable and let the keel drop and smash into the keel housing! Fixed it OK, but in the process i discovered 2 holes, sealed, through the keel trunk, forward of the main keel pin. Does anyone know what these are all about?
Also, Where are the keel pinning holes, mentioned the manual, located?
john
john sanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 13:01   #75

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
This link might help

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ase-40765.html
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote