Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-08-2017, 19:17   #136

Re: Clipper Marine ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch K View Post
Tybee Girl,
The winch and cable replacement is not hard. However, you need to be able to lower the keel down and support it while you replace the cable. I did that exact job just a few months ago. I replaced the winch with one made by Dayton, and the cable I picked up locally. The winch is Dayton model 12U370 800lb rated. They are current production and can be had on ebay for about $50.00. Fortunately I have access to a swaging tool, and all I had to do was pick up the appropriate tin plated copper swages and a replacement thimble that goes through the hole in the keel. You can use stainless steel cable clamps, but use three for full rated strength. Depending on which model and year, determines how much room you have up in the keel trunk. My CM26 is a 1975, and it has a different keel winch configuration than earlier models. Actually, mine is build 999 out of approx. 1030 made. There is a couple of face book groups for our boats as well as the Trailer Sailor group that has a lot of info on our boats. I posted most of what I did to my 26 over on the Trailer Sailor. Check it out if you get a chance. Also, if you send me a private I will be glad to share any info I have learned on our boats.

Mitch

Thanks so much Mitch. I was reading earlier about the plates and clamps and how over time the water makes them expand and it sounds like that's exactly what happened with mine. It seems to function well enough but the whole thing is suspect and I think it's time to get it shored up properly. When I bought my clipper, the thimble you reference was missing and the previous owner had it jury rigged. We do have a great boat yard here on Wilmington Island so I will probably let the retired navy sailors handle it & leave it to the professionals. I understand just enough to be dangerous! Thanks again for the advice.

Old 12-08-2017, 20:20   #137

Boat: 1975 Clipper Marine Mk26
Re: Clipper Marine ?

Tybee Girl,
Great that you have a boat yard close to you. The closest boat yard to me is a couple of hundred miles, so I have to do myself. The original winch in mine was serviceable, but I wanted a winch that I could put the keel in any position, and remove the handle and it would stay where I put it. The dayton does a good job.

As I mentioned earlier, there are a couple of good facebook groups dedicated to our brand of boats. One is called Clipper Marine, and the Other is Clipper Marine Sailing. They are a great bunch of folks! Please feel free and drop by. If I can help in any way, please do not hesitate to ask.

Mitch

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: