Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2011, 13:36   #1

Classic Boat Design / Style

As I said before in some other posts, I'm planning to retire and cruise full time in 14 years when my daughter grows up and moves out and the annuities start to pay. But, aside from impatience for the 14 years to pass, I've got another BIG concern. Noone is making boats in a style that warms my soul anymore. When I look at boats and try to narrow down the desgins I like, they just arn't making them anymore. I love the classic Formosa, William Garden, Carl Alberg styles. Beutiful designs with old world charm. Everything they are making now just looks so .... modern and cold in comparrison. And let's face it, by the time I retire in 2025 all those boats I love are going to be 50 or more years old. I just gotta hope in the next 14 years someone starts making the kind designs I love again. Otherwise, its gonna be alwfully expensive to have someone do a custom build on an old Formose design.
CoastalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 14:08   #2

Boat: 27' Vollenhovense Bol
Re: classic boat design/style

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalCowboy View Post
Beutiful designs with old world charm. Everything they are making now just looks so .... modern and cold in comparrison.
The boat in my avatar is still made today. It's a classic style Dutch sailboat.
DutchTreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 14:21   #3

Boat: Skookum 53'

While you are waiting for the 14 years to pass, you could always spend it building a classic designed yacht. Every thing would be just how you want it with regards to features and cabin layout, any you could probably engineer out any weaknesses the production vessels have. Just a thought.
Old 21-10-2011, 14:53   #4

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We definitely prefer the "Classic" lines to the sleek new sailboats and "Clorox bottle" power boats.
Old 21-10-2011, 14:58   #5

I have a nicely restored Cape Dory 27 for sale if you are interested. Carl Alberg design, about as classic as you can get, lol.
wizard1_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 17:23   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Classic Boat Design / Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalCowboy View Post
(...) And let's face it, by the time I retire in 2025 all those boats I love are going to be 50 or more years old.(...)
Let's face it: you are way wrong.

There are boats made right now that look absolutely classic and gorgeous. It is 2011, the boats will be only 14 years old (ours is 30 right now!).

You can always have a one-off built as long as the molds of your fave design are available. Or have the design built in strip-foam-composite, as long as the drawings are available.

spirit yachts
mystery yachts
cherubini yachts

C'mon.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 17:37   #7

Boat: PETERSON 44
My favorite traditional looking hull.Joel white design one built.love this boat. http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=2264521.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 18:45   #8

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

If your wife, if you have one is on board with the plan, why not if you have the room, decide what you want, buy one and start working on it. I would guess that you could stay pretty busy in your spare time and maybe have it ready to sail when you're ready to push the button. You'd have the advantage of knowing every system on the boat. The work never ends anyway. Why not get a jump on it. There are lots of classic style ketches for sale that are ready for complete refit and 14 yrs would fly by.
Old 21-10-2011, 19:50   #9

Boat: PETERSON 44
Could also do this. http://pagetraditionalboats.com/mimirose.htmJoe was freat at sweeping a bow and tucking the cabin sides into the line.. I'm partial. Just realized that in photos of forthright I am pictured standing next to the builder Swifty. while the owners wife slams a good bottle of vino into the bobstay fitting.years ago. Good times so cool to see this years later. I lost all my photos in a fire so to see these shots is really cool. Swifty is a early pleasure sailor, adventurer, builder. When quality was described in websters swifty should have his picture front most before they describe anything. A joy of a person with qualities and values that are timeless. Not only does he build great boats but he is passing on great qualities. Most unrecognized great people. Yes also there is a great wife voice of reason Doris behind the operation. Wonderful people good memories.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 21:02   #10

Boat: 1998 Orca (Ingrid) 38

Here are some classic designs still being built today:

ChannelCutterYachts

Cape George Cutters § Port Townsend § Blue Water Boats § Cruising Custom Boat Building
Sonrisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 21:47   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
While you are waiting for the 14 years to pass, you could always spend it building a classic designed yacht. Every thing would be just how you want it with regards to features and cabin layout, any you could probably engineer out any weaknesses the production vessels have. Just a thought.
What did this guy do to you?

(I confess I had the same thought)

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 12:26   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Just keep your eye open for the right boat at the right price and buy it. Rent some space in a boatyard and start redoing it a little at a time. Anything Bill Garden (check the photo in my profile) is ok in my books but you have to watch which yard originally built the boat. Some used inferior grade plywood and cored the cabin tops and sides with stuff prone to rot and delamination. You'll also want to get rid of the teak decks which are prone to leaking. If you buy one in good condition and start to do the things you'll want to do to get it ready for cruising a little at a time it'll make that 14 years go by in a hurry.
I'm not certain what the boat market will be like in a few years but right now its a buyers market for those old classics.
kind regards,
Old 22-10-2011, 12:49   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

The trouble with what I just suggested is that we don't know what technology will change in 14 years and what propulsion systems or the condition of the oceans or politics will be in 14 years. It may all change drastically and what you purchase today may not be what you would want in the future.
Old 22-10-2011, 13:20   #14

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Save up for a Cherubini 44 ketch. They're still being made.

Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote